Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Republicans will oppose Obama's immigration reform because they hate the POTUS

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 17 Replies
During an appearance on ABC’s This Week on Sunday, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA) admitted that Republicans are likely to oppose any immigration reform proposal introduced by President Obama because they personally dislike the Commander-in-Chief.
“An Obama plan led and driven by Obama in this atmosphere with the level of hostility towards the president and the way he goads the hostility I think is very hard to imagine that bill, that his bill is going to pass the House,” Gingrich said. “I think that negotiated with a Senate immigration bill that has to have bipartisan support could actually get to the president’s desk.”
The Senate-backed framework for immigration reform, which enhances security on the border and includes a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, shares many similarities with Obama’s own proposal, though the president has repeatedly said that if Congress fails to make progress, he will introduce his own reform legislation.
That plan, obtained by USA Today, “mirrors many provisions of the bipartisan 2007 bill” spearheaded by Ted Kennedy and Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and would allow unauthorized immigrants “to become legal permanent residents within eight years.” “The plan also would provide for more security funding and require business owners to check the immigration status of new hires within four years,” the paper reports.
Despite its bipartisan nature, the draft proposal was immediately panned by Republicans. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) — a member of the Senate group working towards producing comprehensive legislation — called it “dead on arrival,” while Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) said it demonstrated that Obama is “looking for a partisan advantage and not a bipartisan solution.”
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Then the right will say Obama lied about planning on trying to pass immigration reform.  The man could say the sky is blue and they would say it's purple and fight to the death instead of admitting he's right.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM
5 moms liked this

The Left is now agreeing with what Newt Gingrich said....LOL!

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM
3 moms liked this

I am grinning ear to ear thinking the same thing, myself.

Quoting rocketracer:

PamR
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Isn't that their reason for opposing everything?

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM

If Rubio didn't like it then we all know that Obama's plan is bogus.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM
There are right wingers that are defecting and telling the truth

More like Gingrich fesses up and admit that the left was right all along

Quoting rocketracer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM
5 moms liked this

Oops, another post where the title does not match the contents. 

The article quotes Gingrich as saying that Republicans dislike - not hate- Obama. And that Obama goads the hostility. He has since he has been POTUS. He came in office saying how bipartisan he was, how he would reach across the aisle. And then said he had a mandate and didn't have to negotiate, which has intensified over the years. Obama has never tried to build any Congressional relationships - with even Democrats, let alone Republicans. Every other president has done this - yes, even Bush - except for Obama. Obama doesn't even meet personally with Rep. Pellosi and Sen. Reid - his own party!

In New York Magazine, Neera Tanden, a former aide to both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, had this to say about the relationship of the two presidents:

"Clinton, being Clinton, had plenty of advice in mind and was desperate to impart it. But for the first two years of Obama’s term, the phone calls Clinton kept expecting rarely came. “People say the reason Obama wouldn’t call Clinton is because he doesn’t like him,” observes Tanden. “The truth is, Obama doesn’t call anyone, and he’s not close to almost anyone. It’s stunning that he’s in politics, because he really doesn’t like people. My analogy is that it’s like becoming Bill Gates without liking computers.”

http://nymag.com/news/politics/elections-2012/bill-hillary-clinton-2012-10/index2.html

jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol. 

Quoting rocketracer:

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM
3 moms liked this

One of my state senators said opening on the radio that bho hates being president and hates people.

bho and mo sure like spending money that isn't theres, though.

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:25 PM
4 moms liked this

LOL..I knew when I heard on the news that Obama's immigration plan was "leaked" this was going to be the spin, and you would be the one posting this.

Shortly after USA Today leaked the contents of Obama's immigration proposal, which would allow undocumented immigrants a pathway to citizenship in eight years, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) rejected the proposal, calling it "half-baked" and "dead on arrival" because the president failed to seek input from Republicans in Congress.

I am all for the dream act.. but the illegals who are here, should not be granted citizenship after eight years without paying fines and penalties, ALL the same fees, file ALL the same paperwork as people who enter legally, and ALL of the same procedures.  Why should they get a free  pass after eight years for breaking the law??

This leak isn't about immigration, its about trying to make the Republicans look bad.  I am not sure that Obama has even thought this through.  Wonder how many many will flood the boarders knowing they will get citizenship without following the procedures??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)