Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Spending Problem? Middle-Class President's Valentine's Day Plans Cost A Pretty Penny

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 32 Replies

What Spending Problem? Middle-Class President's Valentine's Day Plans Cost A Pretty Penny

What Spending Problem? Middle-Class President’s Valentine’s Day Plans Cost A Pretty Penny
Bert Atkinson Jr.

What did you do for Valentine’s Day? What’s that – you didn’t have a bazillion course meal at the most exclusive restaurant in your city? Well that’s exactly what someone that lives in a big white house in DC did.

The president – that (according to polls) was not trusted as much as Mitt Romney to run the economy, yet supposedly better understood the problems facing average Americans – absolutelysplurged in true 1%-er fashion on Valentine’s Day in taking his wife to the ultra-exclusive DC restaurant, Minibar, showing you that he truly is in touch with average Americans (see: sarcasm). According to the White House Dossier…

“Each bite is an experience to be savored, pondered, and sometimes puzzled over,” asserts the website for the restaurant.

Which is nice, since each bite probably costs about $10.

That is, the price for tasting approximately 20 small dishes is $225, not including tax and tip, while wine pairings will set you back $75, $120, or $200. If we assume a mid-range $120 for wine, the total comes to $345 per person, or $690 for two. Add in Washington’s 10 percent restaurant dining tax and a 20 percent tip and we’re at $910.80 for dinner.

We may not know how much the dinner actually cost exactly, but it’s safe to say it didn’t come off the value menu or out of, ya know, that kitchen in the White House we all pay for.

But wait! It’s not over! In honor of the deficit and the spending problem our government has The President and his wife also have President’s Day weekend vacation plans:

The President will be in West Palm Beach, Fla. But the Aspen Daily News reports that the First Lady, along with Vice President Biden, will be visiting Colorado. Both are expected to do some skiing in the Aspen area.

The White House has yet to announce the First Lady’s travel plans. As the Web site White House dossier noted, the separate vacationing means that while massive automatic spending cuts are set to go into effect March 1, taxpayers will be shelling out for two first family vacations, and all the security and logistical costs those entail.

What says fiscal discipline and ‘won’t add a dime to the deficit’ more than swanky thousand dollar multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-course meals and sending your wife on a vacation (complete with Secret Service) in a separate direction across the country?

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM
3 moms liked this

What did I do for valentines?  My kids made us a 5 star gourmet meal, and dh and I made a skillet cookie ice cream dessert for them all.  Probably Spent $30.00.  While we earn a very nice living, we don't need lavish dates or 2 separate vacationsI. The Obama's are hardly in touch with the middle class when it comes to vacationing and demonstrating fiscal discipline. 

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM
3 moms liked this

And I got to spend almost $4 a gallon for gas to go to work on Valentine's Day.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

How about those separate spring break vacays?

jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM
2 moms liked this

My husband is sitting next to me on the sofa and said, "yea.  If we ever get to the point we need multiple separate vacations, there is something wrong." Lol. While I get a girls or boys weekend here or there.... Spending the kids spring break time off apart seems weird.  Jmo.   

Quoting rocketracer:

How about those separate spring break vacays?

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I'm pretty sure they didn't pay for it. Not a dime. The owners couldn't buy that kind of publicity; a free meal is the least they could do.

And I don't know where you all live, but there are restaurants around here (as in walking distance) that offer the same kind of menu at the same kind of prices. And the people I know who have had meals at them aren't extravagant 1%'ers, they're foodies. They'd rather spend their money on a once in a lifetime meal, then go on a cheesy Carnival cruise. They cost about the same. 

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I doubt they payed for it, either.  They have worked with the owner on several of the Lets Move initiatives, so they know him.  And they are, you know, the OBAMAs so yes - you cannot buy that kind of publicity.

The Obamas have embraced the local DC food scene, bringing a lot of attention to it.  That's a GOOD thing.

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this

The whole point of this post is that bho spends, spends, spends like there is no tomorrow, but then tells me to tighten my belt as he adds more and  more taxes, rules, and regulations which cost me even more.

Citygirlk
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

So they can't have a nice valentines days now. Sigh... I give up.

steviechick
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting gsprofval:

The whole point of this post is that bho spends, spends, spends like there is no tomorrow, but then tells me to tighten my belt as he adds more and  more taxes, rules, and regulations which cost me even more.

Yeah, so much for all of us putting in our fair share and  cutting back.  Where  have the Obama's cut back?  They spend MILLIONS of dollars of taxpayer's money on lavish vacations.  You know the last time I had a vacation - one that included a hotel stay, beach, and restaurants?  Over 15 years ago.  I have to watch every dime I make so I can pay for the Obama's vacations.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

But odds are, they didn't spend for this dinner.  And if they did, so what?  It's their money and they can blow it how they please.

They also spend their own money to go on vacation, other than the required staff and security (and the transport and loging of that) which is already budgeted for yearly.

All the things wrong in the world, all the crazy politics that can be discussed - to pick out where they went for dinner or vacation seems really silly.

Quoting steviechick:

Quoting gsprofval:

Yeah, so much for all of us putting in our fair share and  cutting back.  Where  have the Obama's cut back?  They spend MILLIONS of dollars of taxpayer's money on lavish vacations.  You know the last time I had a vacation - one that included a hotel stay, beach, and restaurants?  Over 15 years ago.  I have to watch every dime I make so I can pay for the Obama's vacations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)