Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

ASSAULT RIFLE -- OR DEFENSE RIFLE??

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 126 Replies
2 moms liked this

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Defense rifle.

pj2becca21
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Defense rifle.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Hey! I remember you! You're the one who introduced me to this guy, MrColionNoir, the first time. He is great! 

I like the way he explains things - often much simpler and less complicated than the average source.

Are you a Walking Dead fan? He's got some hysterical video reviews - I posted them on the Roundtable / Walking Dead site.  :)

So thanks for introducing me to such a great resource.

Quoting pj2becca21:

Agreed 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Defense rifle.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:55 AM
3 moms liked this

It's a defense rifle if used for defense.

It's an assault rifle if used for assault.

It's a rifle.

It's up to the person who's holding it what kind it turns out to be.

No offense or anything, but my issue with all of this is that I'm supposed to trust you all to be using these millions of weapons for the former and not the latter.

I don't trust because I've actually met some real people....

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:39 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd say that maybe 99% of the time they are defense rifles, since they are used for defense almost all of the time. 

We all need to be grownups - Just as we need to drive defensively, we need to live defensively. To be able to defend ourselves responsibly is really being grown up as an American citizen.

It takes the police 4-8 minutes to arrive when you call 911. We don't always have 4-8 minutes.That's the point of being able to defend ourselves.

Quoting romalove:

It's a rifle.

No offense or anything, but my issue with all of this is that I'm supposed to trust you all to be using these millions of weapons for the former and not the latter.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:51 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

I'd say that maybe 99% of the time they are defense rifles, since they are used for defense almost all of the time. 

We all need to be grownups - Just as we need to drive defensively, we need to live defensively. To be able to defend ourselves responsibly is really being grown up as an American citizen.

It takes the police 4-8 minutes to arrive when you call 911. We don't always have 4-8 minutes.That's the point of being able to defend ourselves.

Quoting romalove:

It's a rifle.

I'm supposed to trust all of you with guns because you're "responsible" but the world is so crazy that you all need guns.

That makes sense.

I understand the need for Second Amendment rights, and I don't want a country where only criminals and the government have guns.

I am not trying to take away your guns.

But I also despise guns and I think you're all nuts that you're so passionate about them.  At the end of the day, guns are for killing.  

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting romalove:

It's a rifle.

I also want to point out that I reject the idea that to be a 'grown up American citizen' I need to be armed to the teeth to protect myself.  

And I have a question for you.

I am sick to death of reading thread after thread about the wonder of guns.  Guns are a panacea, the answer to everything.  When asked how to stop gun violence, the answer is more guns.

Do you have any ideas other than distributing more guns and ammo on how to stem gun violence in this country?

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:57 AM
1 mom liked this
" assault rifles" on the market for the public in the untied states are basically pistols with fancy dressing. Much like Cinderella at the ball. She was still just Cinderella with a fancy gown. True assault weapons. Are not available to citizens hand haven't been since what the 20s when the Tommy gun was available .( maybe a decade or two later) True assault weapons are fully automatic and not available to the public.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Believe me, I am not nuts about guns.

I am taking the opportunity to protect myself and my neighbors. 

That is the right and kind thing to do, and the way most people do it is right and kind. And the reason we need weapons is that there are some people who are not right and kind. And the police may take more than 6 minutes to get somewhere - where you don't have that much time.

At the end of the day, guns are for DEFENSE. Sometimes all you may need to do is brandish it. But if you are in a place where someone is trying to hurt or kill you or others, would you rather be  helpless, and not able to help someone, or die yourself avoidably,

Or protect yourself and others?

Protect. Of course. That is the point. And the reason for "The Great Equalizer".

Quoting romalove:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting romalove:

It's a rifle.

I'm supposed to trust all of you with guns because you're "responsible" but the world is so crazy that you all need guns.

That makes sense.

I understand the need for Second Amendment rights, and I don't want a country where only criminals and the government have guns.

I am not trying to take away your guns.

But I also despise guns and I think you're all nuts that you're so passionate about them.  At the end of the day, guns are for killing.  

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Exactly. The tommy gun was a machine gun - which have not been legal for civilians since the 1930s.

Semi-automatic rifles  LOOK SIMILAR TO  machine guns. But they don't shoot like them - rather,  like more accurate handguns. So essentially they are scary-looking imposters.

Quoting Fields456:

" assault rifles" on the market for the public in the untied states are basically pistols with fancy dressing. Much like Cinderella at the ball. She was still just Cinderella with a fancy gown. True assault weapons. Are not available to citizens hand haven't been since what the 20s when the Tommy gun was available .( maybe a decade or two later) True assault weapons are fully automatic and not available to the public.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)