Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

GOOD!!!! I am so tired of seeing girls get away with this.

Posted by   + Show Post

Throw the book I say!

14-year-old charged as adult in newborn's death

NEED TO KNOW
  • 14-year-old indicted as an adult in newborn's death
  • Girl allegedly admitted she strangled baby, hid body
  • Cassidy Goodson could face life in prison if convicted
14-year-old charged as adult in newborn's death

A 14-year-old Florida girl accused of killing her newborn baby and hiding the body in a shoebox will be prosecuted as an adult, the Polk County State Attorney's Office confirmed Friday.

A grand jury indicted Cassidy Goodson Thursday on charges of first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse.

An arrest affidavit stated that Goodson told police she gave birth to her child alone in her bathroom on September 19, at one point using scissors to "'pry' the child out." She then allegedly choked the baby for approximately one minute until he stopped breathing, the arrest affidavit said.

According to the affidavit, Goodson told her mother she had suffered a miscarriage and flushed the fetus down the toilet. Goodson's mother told police that while she was collecting laundry four days later, on September 22, she found the body in a shoebox hidden amid dirty clothing in the teen's bedroom, the affidavit stated.

If convicted of murder, Goodson could face life in prison. She was expected to appear in court Friday.

Goodson's mother and grandmother reportedly told The Ledger Wednesday that they did not believe the teen knew she was pregnant before giving birth.

Grandmother Donna Goodson said the girl told her, "If I knew I was pregnant, it would have been different," according to the paper.

According to court documents, authorities believe Cassidy Goodson did know she was pregnant and tried to hide it by wearing "baggy, loose clothing."

When contacted by HLN earlier this week, Goodson's mother declined to comment on the case.

Police said in the arrest affidavit that Goodson told them she killed the baby because "she was afraid her relationship with her parents would change."

A public defender representing Goodson could not be reached for comment Friday.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (131-140):
jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Really?  She acted like an "adult" in having sexual relations, carried a baby, then killed it.  She sure shouldn't be tried as a child - she knew exactly what she was doing, and could have asked for help from others.  Instead she kept this from certain people, and then had no compassion for a baby's life.

"An arrest affidavit stated that Goodson told police she gave birth to her child alone in her bathroom on September 19, at one point using scissors to "'pry' the child out." She then allegedly choked the baby for approximately one minute until he stopped breathing, the arrest affidavit said."

Quoting romalove:

What an awful story.

She should not be charged as an adult.

SMH at people

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Quoting jcribb16:

Really?  She acted like an "adult" in having sexual relations, carried a baby, then killed it.  She sure shouldn't be tried as a child - she knew exactly what she was doing, and could have asked for help from others.  Instead she kept this from certain people, and then had no compassion for a baby's life.

"An arrest affidavit stated that Goodson told police she gave birth to her child alone in her bathroom on September 19, at one point using scissors to "'pry' the child out." She then allegedly choked the baby for approximately one minute until he stopped breathing, the arrest affidavit said."

Quoting romalove:

What an awful story.

SMH at people

You're missing the point.

She isn't allowed to act like an adult.

Whatever sexual acts she was involved in was a crime, that's considered statutory rape.  That's because we recognize that children don't have the ability to make good decisions, they do not have the biological brain development to do so.

She can't vote

Drink

Drive

Marry

Join the military

Have sex

Self-emancipate

She can't do many things because we recognize she is a child.

A child who made a horrible mistake is still a child.  And should be treated as a child.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm saying, maybe not as an adult, in adult facilities, with hardened criminals, but age appropriate for a teenager/making adult decisions - there should be tough consequences. 

You say a child can't do some things, and I agree with part of that.  However, she made the decision to have sex.  If she was raped, that's a different route. Statutory rape because of an older boy is another.  Yet, she involved herself in sex, then carried a baby inside of her, and then killed it.  She should have gone to someone for help, especially when that baby came.  She chose to kill it.  That is not little childish behavior, and no, it's not adult for her, but definitely in between.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting romalove:

What an awful story.

SMH at people

Whatever sexual acts she was involved in was a crime, that's considered statutory rape.  That's because we recognize that children don't have the ability to make good decisions, they do not have the biological brain development to do so.

She can't vote

Drink

Drive

Marry

Join the military

Have sex

Self-emancipate

A child who made a horrible mistake is still a child.  And should be treated as a child.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jcribb16:

I'm saying, maybe not as an adult, in adult facilities, with hardened criminals, but age appropriate for a teenager/making adult decisions - there should be tough consequences. 

You say a child can't do some things, and I agree with part of that.  However, she made the decision to have sex.  If she was raped, that's a different route. Statutory rape because of an older boy is another.  Yet, she involved herself in sex, then carried a baby inside of her, and then killed it.  She should have gone to someone for help, especially when that baby came.  She chose to kill it.  That is not little childish behavior, and no, it's not adult for her, but definitely in between.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting romalove:

What an awful story.

SMH at people

She can't vote

Drink

Drive

Marry

Join the military

Have sex

Self-emancipate

It's frustrating having this conversation with you because I am going to be repetitive and you don't appear to understand the crux of the issue.

It isn't about the wrongness of her behavior.  I assure you, I think it's as wrong as you do.

The issue is about her ability to form intentions and to make adult decisions.

She can't.  She's 14.

She was raped by law whether you decide she "wanted" the sex or not.  She isn't permitted to choose to have sex by law because the law recognizes something you are refusing to do, that is, that she doesn't have an adult brain, fully cooked, and able to make cogent decisions.

She should be charged as a juvenile and given juvenile punishment and rehabilitation.  

JustCJ
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I get what you are saying roma. I sincerely do and I kind of agree. But, I think the 'bad decision' was made when she had sex, unprotected, or however...and wound up pregnant. The murder of the baby that resulted, is a crime, not a bad choice/decision. This isn't the first girl who has done this..they do this at many ages.

I worry, that the leniency of her sentence, sends a bad message. I also, think it's too lenient. I am not out for blood ..I just think the penalty should be stiffer.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting romalove:

What an awful story.

SMH at people

She can't vote

Drink

Drive

Marry

Join the military

Have sex

Self-emancipate

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JustCJ:

I get what you are saying roma. I sincerely do and I kind of agree. But, I think the 'bad decision' was made when she had sex, unprotected, or however...and wound up pregnant. The murder of the baby that resulted, is a crime, not a bad choice/decision. This isn't the first girl who has done this..they do this at many ages.

I worry, that the leniency of her sentence, sends a bad message. I also, think it's too lenient. I am not out for blood ..I just think the penalty should be stiffer.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting romalove:

What an awful story.

SMH at people

She can't vote

Drink

Drive

Marry

Join the military

Have sex

Self-emancipate

And you're entitled to your feelings on the matter.

I think some are getting hung up on the idea that she decided to have sex and should bear the consequences of her decision, that she was making an adult decision.

It is an adult decision but made by a child with a child's ability to think.  14 is not able to consent to sex.

At any rate, I hope that she gets lots of counseling.  A girl who did this as she gets older and can really grasp what happened is a girl who will be suffering greatly.  And, I think a girl who did this likely comes from a very difficult family to maneuver within.  She was more afraid of letting her parents know she had sex and got pregnant than she was to kill the baby to get rid of the evidence.

JustCJ
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Cut the tree a bit. The way you put it, makes it easier to understand your point. Thank you for disagreeing with me without insulting me. I'm actually quite open minded sometimes. lol

Quoting romalove:

And you're entitled to your feelings on the matter.

I think some are getting hung up on the idea that she decided to have sex and should bear the consequences of her decision, that she was making an adult decision.

It is an adult decision but made by a child with a child's ability to think.  14 is not able to consent to sex.

At any rate, I hope that she gets lots of counseling.  A girl who did this as she gets older and can really grasp what happened is a girl who will be suffering greatly.  And, I think a girl who did this likely comes from a very difficult family to maneuver within.  She was more afraid of letting her parents know she had sex and got pregnant than she was to kill the baby to get rid of the evidence.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I will not discuss this anymore with you.  I am not ignoring the crux of the situation.  But she still committed a crime, even statutory raped, and even though she thought she was making an informed decision in having sex.  The next poster said it better than I can right now - in that there should still be a stiffer penalty for the crime itself.  So no more frustration - I'm done.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting romalove:

What an awful story.

SMH at people

She can't vote

Drink

Drive

Marry

Join the military

Have sex

Self-emancipate

It's frustrating having this conversation with you because I am going to be repetitive and you don't appear to understand the crux of the issue.

It isn't about the wrongness of her behavior.  I assure you, I think it's as wrong as you do.

The issue is about her ability to form intentions and to make adult decisions.

She can't.  She's 14.

She was raped by law whether you decide she "wanted" the sex or not.  She isn't permitted to choose to have sex by law because the law recognizes something you are refusing to do, that is, that she doesn't have an adult brain, fully cooked, and able to make cogent decisions.

She should be charged as a juvenile and given juvenile punishment and rehabilitation.  

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Thank you for saying what I was trying to get at.  Maybe she won't be so frustrated with how you worded it.  :)

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting romalove:

What an awful story.

SMH at people

She can't vote

Drink

Drive

Marry

Join the military

Have sex

Self-emancipate

JustCJ
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been so abused this post jc...LOL I totally understand where you are at.

Quoting jcribb16:

Thank you for saying what I was trying to get at.  Maybe she won't be so frustrated with how you worded it.  :)

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting romalove:

What an awful story.

SMH at people

She can't vote

Drink

Drive

Marry

Join the military

Have sex

Self-emancipate

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN