Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rand Paul returns surplus budget

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 11 Replies
2 moms liked this

Sen. says he will send a $600,000 check to the U.S. Treasury, returning the part of his operating budget as a senator that was not spent.

Paul made the announcement at press conference in Kentucky on Wednesday. According to a press release from Paul's office, the sum is over 20 percent of the total operating budget.

Last year, he returned $500,000 worth of unspent funds to the Treasury.

“I ran to stop the reckless spending, and I pledged to the people of Kentucky that I would work to keep their hard-earned money out of the hands of Washington bureaucrats whose irresponsible spending has threatened our country’s economic health,” Sen. Paul said.

The Republican senator and son of libertarian icon Ron Paul is considered a likely 2016 presidential contender.

This is the link for the article above:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/21/rand-paul-returns-surplus-operating-budget/

Here are a few others:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130220/NEWS010603/302200087/Rand-Paul-returns-600-000-US-from-his-Senate-office-budget

http://www.westernjournalism.com/rand-paul-returns-600000-to-us-from-his-senate-office-budget/

http://www.kentuckynewsnetwork.com/cc-common/mainheadlines2.html?feed=393284&article=10843623

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:01 AM
2 moms liked this

It's about time. Too bad our other elected officials don't do the same.

Are we moving forward yet?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."---Thomas Jefferson

pj2becca21
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM

fingers crossed yeah Rand!!! 

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Damn, I like that guy more every day.  Now if only they all would do that.  But, the gov't has this rule....If you don't spend your budget, you won't get an increase next year.  Honestly.

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Quoting 143myboys9496:

Sen. says he will send a $600,000 check to the U.S. Treasury, returning the part of his operating budget as a senator that was not spent.

Paul made the announcement at press conference in Kentucky on Wednesday. According to a press release from Paul's office, the sum is over 20 percent of the total operating budget.

That has style.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:18 AM
3 moms liked this

That's why they're all buying $600 toilet seats and $900 trash cans.

I don't hear any of Barry's supporters now...just...crickets...imagine a politician..a REPUBLICAN politican at that....actually RETURNING money..

Worry not, Barry will spend it.

Quoting grandmab125:

Damn, I like that guy more every day.  Now if only they all would do that.  But, the gov't has this rule....If you don't spend your budget, you won't get an increase next year.  Honestly.

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Just think of how much is wasted by all of those in Congress; that would be a great place to cut right off the bat.

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

So we know this is possible, why do we settle for anything less.  Until we hold our representatives responsible, we get what we have.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM
This makes me proud that I voted for him!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Is that an amazing story, or what? Have you ever heard of this happening before? Me either. Is this evidence that  Senate budgets are TOO HIGH, even possibility 20% too high?

Great minds think alike! And notice the same great news stories!  

Hey - pls comment & bump on mine, and I will here on yours!  :)

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)