Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EGYPT: NEW ISLAMIC GROUP THREATENS CHRISTIANS WITH CONVERSION OR DEATH

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

Now that the Islamists have taken over Egypt, after the fall of Hosni Mubarak in 2011, an Islamic group has arisen to threaten a number of Coptic Christian priests with death if they don’t convert to Islam. The priests are located in the town of Safaga, near the Red Sea. The Islamic group, Jihad al-Kufris now routinely threatening non-Muslims; the group’s name means Jihad against non-believers or non-Muslims.

Adel Guindy, president of Coptic Solidarity and a member of Egypt’s Coptic community, said:

It’s not the first time. This is happening every day. This one incident caught the attention of the news agencies, but there are worse things happening to the Christians every day in Egypt. It has definitely worsened under the revolution. Once the worst part of the society surfaced -- the Islamists -- the Copts are paying a heavy price. The West doesn’t really feel our pain. It’s a war of attrition.

Copts are roughly 10 percent of Egypt’s population, which numbers 85 million people.

The new constitution that gave Islamic president Mohamed Morsi tremendous new power also includes sharia law, and denies any religious minorities legal protection. Jason DeMars, founder of Present Truth Ministries, a Christian advocacy group focused on religious persecution, said:

There was a relative amount of freedom (for Christians) before Egypt’s revolution, and many were hoping for more freedoms, and now things are unfortunately much worse and much more difficult. It’s what they’ve always wanted to do, but Mubarak held some of that back because of the support he got from the United States and other Western countries. People were paying attention, but now the extremists are seeing this as an opportunity to crack down on the community there.

There have been numerous other incidents, such as last weekend’s Christian Church in Fayoum being set on fire, as Islamists tore down the cross on the church and fired rocks at Christians, injuring four people; various reports of rape of Christian women; three separate incidents where Christian women had their hair cut off by Islamic women on the subway; and the case of two Coptic Christian boys who are being tried for “insulting the Koran..”

Egypt's Coptic Christian leader, Pope Tawadros II, condemned the new constitution for discrimination, saying, "We are a part of the soil of this nation and an extension of the pharaohs and their age before Christ. Yes, we are a minority in the numerical sense, but we are not a minority when it comes to value, history, interaction and love for our nation."

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:14 AM
4 moms liked this

throwing upThanks Obama for allowing these monsters to power there.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My Egyptian friends (Christians) told me this happened in other countries. Now their homeland.

All their family members are leaving ASAP - even leaving everything behind. When your life is in danger, posessions don't matter a heck of a lot.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:26 AM

BUMP!

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:27 AM

BUMP!

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:30 AM
3 moms liked this

And this would be the same Morsi whom the admin (Obama) declared a statesman and moderate....and Hilary praised him as a peacemaker.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Sally, I've been reading about the suffering of Coptic Christians since I joined CM 6 yrs ago. Some interesting discussions on other debate groups. Thx for posting this topic. The Muslim Brotherhood gov't of Egypt are the cause of this persecution.

quote>

Egypt's Coptic Christian leader, Pope Tawadros II, condemned the new constitution for discrimination, saying, "We are a part of the soil of this nation and an extension of the pharaohs and their age before Christ. Yes, we are a minority in the numerical sense, but we are not a minority when it comes to value, history, interaction and love for our nation."

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:45 AM
2 moms liked this
So sad I don't understand why some feel the need to force others to believe the way they do and can't just live their own damn lives midnight their own damn business

Quoting SallyMJ:

My Egyptian friends (Christians) told me this happened in other countries. Now their homeland.

All their family members are leaving ASAP - even leaving everything behind. When your life is in danger, posessions don't matter a heck of a lot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Didn't we give them weapons ?

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Sally, I've been reading about the suffering of Coptic Christians since I joined CM 6 yrs ago. Some interesting discussions on other debate groups. Thx for posting this topic. The Muslim Brotherhood gov't of Egypt are the cause of this persecution.

quote>

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:51 AM
3 moms liked this

Worse than that.  We just gave them a butt load of F-14 (?) fighter jets.  Nice, huh, so they can use them against Isreal down the road.

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

quote>

grandma B

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Fields456:

Yes, the Obama admin gave 200 Abrams tanks & sixteen F-16 fighter jets to the Muslim Brotherhood + $1.5 billion annually to the Egyptian gov't. I posted this info a few days ago on another thread.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/01/22/gift-us-f-16-fighter-jets-en-route-to-egypt-amid-criticism/

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/295501/obama-funds-egyptian-government-andrew-c-mccarthy

Quoting blondekosmic15:

quote>

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)