Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

In news from 2010, er, 2013 Business Insider: Pew Poll: GOP is "Out of touch" and "extreme."

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 2 Replies
A majority of Americans believe that Republicans are "out of touch" with the mainstream of the country and "too extreme," according to a new Pew Research Center poll released Tuesday.

The poll found that 62 percent of all Americans — including 36 percent of Republicans — think the party is out of touch. That's 16 points higher than the percentage of people who thought the same about Democrats.

Respondents also blasted the GOP as "too extreme." A majority, or 52 percent, of those polled said that phrase describes the Republican Party, 13 points higher than the Democratic Party.

The GOP image is at its lowest point in nearly two decades:

Overall, Republicans polled were much less supportive of their party in general than were Democrats. Only 69 percent of Republicans viewed their party in a favorable light, compared with 87 percent of Democrats who said the same about their party.

Republicans also scored especially poorly with Independent voters — 65 percent of self-described Independents said the GOP is out of touch, and 51 percent said it's too extreme.

Here's a look at the party breakdown:

A majority of Independents also cast Democrats as "out of touch," but they rejected the notion that Democrats were too extreme.

The poll comes at a time when President Barack Obama and Democrats are battling with Republicans over yet another federal budget issue — the across-the-board cuts known as the sequester, which will start to kick in this week. A separate Pew poll released Tuesday found that Americans would blame Republicans over Obama by a 45-32 margin if the sequester goes into effect.

http://www.businessinsider.com/pew-poll-republicans-obama-sequester-fiscal-cliff-debt-extreme-2013-2
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
idunno1234
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no belief in the validity of polls for the most part.  I always feel that at best they are indicators, at worse they are totally off the mark.  There are too many variables that go into poll taking that aren't even considered when results are published.

That being said, the republican party has been tainted with the religious extreme right, views that most republicans I know don't feel represent them at all. 

People are still smarting from the Bush years when they feel the republican party let them down.  Frankly, neither party has done a good job of putting their party's ideals into practice.  Its much easier to talk to talk than to walk the walk, especially when people are coming at you from all sides trying to derail any good intentions you may have (and I am highly skeptical about most seasoned politicians' "good intentions").

My issue with the whole two party system is they both have ideals that I agree with and disagree with and neither of them float my boat.  As a matter of fact, the boat is sinking and we are all stuck on board because we don't have another practical alternative to the idiots who spout out shit only along party lines without thought to actually accomplishing something productive and positive for this country.

When a political party panders to the extremes (because the extremes epitomize the expression "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"), they lose the middle where most Americans exist.

I think this is a pretty normal (albeit annoying) pattern and it will eventually self correct.  It has to for self preservation. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, 6% of Americans also think Elvis is still alive. Yes, they do! 

The President and Democrats have been running an effective campaign for months to destroy Republicans.The campaign staff are even still employed! - unusual for a RE-ELECTED president 4 months after an election! So this doesn't surprise me.

As the GOP are better able to articulately, and in one voice, counter the Democrats' ubiquitous public statements, I think these polling numbers will change.

This is good information.  Democrats and Republicans both always use polls as helpful checks to identify and correct things that are "off". This is just an example of that - not a number set in stone. Negative Democrat polls also can improve over time. An equal opportunity, opportunity. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)