Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Democrats complain about presence of debt clock on Capitol Hill

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:01 AM
  • 31 Replies
3 moms liked this

7:26 PM 02/26/2013

Some members of Congress apparently don’t like to be reminded about how much debt the country continues to rack up.

During a House Financial Services Committee hearing Tuesday on the budget, two Democrats complained after House Financial Services Committee chairman Jeb Hensarling instructed that two monitors in the hearing room display a real-time running national debt clock.

Rep.  and  Rep.  both issued complaints about the displays, according to video of the hearing.

“Clearly it is a political prop designed to message ideologically,” Ellison said.

Waters asked that the debt clock not be on display whenever Democrats spoke, Hensarling said during the hearing.

“At the request of the ranking member, the national debt clock will not be put on the screens during Democratic time,” said Hensarling, a Texas Republican.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:06 AM
3 moms liked this

That is crazy - Ignoring bad news doesn't make it go away!

Since the legislative and executive branches of government all bear responsibility for the national debt, it seems the debt clock would remind everyone to responsibly decrease spending to stop that 50% rate of increase in order to improve the economy and our fiscal condition.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM
6 moms liked this

What pussys! That enormous number SHOULD be in their faces.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM
4 moms liked this
LMAO, stupid progressives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this

The Dems wouldn't even allow the debt clock @ their Presidential Convention. There should be billboards all over the Country as a reminder....

http://www.usdebtclock.org/ clock

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't have any survey data to support this, but I do believe that the majority of Americans are concerned about the national debt.

As it is up to Congress to do something about it, I have no problem with them being reminded of that fact.

There are other props I would definitely object to, but this isn't one of them.  I'm tired of Congress pretending like the debt isn't something they need to address, meaningfully.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Their avoidance says a lot.

soonergirl980
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this

“At the request of the ranking member, the national debt clock will not be put on the screens during Democratic time,” said Hensarling, a Texas Republican.

If I were him I wouldn't have been able to say that without laughing. I mean it's not a laughing matter, but do they really think it will go away if a clock isn't showing when they speak lol.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Waters and Ellison, guess i'm surprised that we didn't hear how having the clock up their was like having slavery all over again.
kam013
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM
4 moms liked this

I would think it would be appropriate to have the National Debt displayed in clear vision at all times for all of our Legislative branches.

Think about how good it might actually feel someday to see the numbers actually go down instead of up.  Not sure any of us will ever see that day, but . . . . one can dream right?

steviechick
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

What a bunch of hypocrical wimps!  - that would be Democrats of course!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)