Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

WOODWARD ON HANNITY: 'THEY GOT CAUGHT ABOUT BEING THE FATHER OF THE SEQUESTER'

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Bob Woodward sat down for a frank talk with Sean Hannity to discuss the attacks on him for reporting that the idea for sequestration originated with Barack Obama.

Hannity asked him about the conversation Woodward had with Gene Sperling, Obama’s economics czar, the author of the email to Woodward.

Woodward replied:

It was a half hour in which he was shouting at me. Now, I’ve known him for twenty years and I emailed back. I don’t worry about shouts; but he was really worked up and then he sent me that email apologizing and saying I’m gonna regret taking this stand.

Obviously [Gene Sperling] didn’t like being challenged on this at all. But people have said, well, this was a threat, or I was saying it was a threat. I haven’t used that language, but the point is, that’s not the way to operate in a White House.

As you know, when somebody says you’re gonna regret something, particularly someone in a position of power, like Gene Sperling, he’s not just a guy in the White House, he is the economic czar for the president. He did the same thing for Bill Clinton; he had the same job. When you say 'you’re gonna regret challenging us,' I just think that’s a mistake. And if you go back into the history and what other people are saying now about the Obama White House--Ron Fournier, of National Journal, wrote a piece that he’s actually refused to talk to somebody in the White House because the language he gets from this person is so belligerent.

Hannity asked, “Do you feel that’s been a pattern with you and this White house? Did you feel at any time threatened either a) during the phone call, or did you feel that it was threat when he wrote the words “You’ll regret this?”

Woodward:

Look, what happened here … I wrote a piece Sunday in the Washington Post on the op-ed page … They got caught about being the father of the sequester . . . for 2 or 3 months denied that. To Jay Carney’s credit, he came out and said, 'Look, yes, the idea originated here.'

It’s not only about who originated it, but think about what the sequester is; it is one of the most irresponsible ideas … Now, Republicans signed up for this, there’s absolutely no question about it, but you look at the details of this and just the way it came about; it’s you and I sitting down and saying, 'What are the things you really love, let’s cut, pass a law cutting those things to ribbons, and then let’s take the things I love and put that in the law, we’ll cut those things to ribbons.' That’s the sequester. It’s one of these things that’s now being debated, what is the impact of it going to be? We don’t know, obviously, but they got caught, so this is an old trick. Make the conduct of the press the issue rather than [the President's] conduct.

Woodward later added this:

The problem is, there are all kinds of reporters who are much less experienced, who are younger, and if they’re going to get roughed up in this way … I’m flooded with email from people in the press saying, 'This is exactly the way the White House works. They’re trying to control and they don’t want to be challenged or crossed.'

At the very end of the interview, Woodward summed up the episode thus: "The problem I had with the Gene Sperling memo, email--this comes after a shouting match, lots of people shout at me--he says I’m gonna regret. That goes into the coded, 'You’d better watch out.'"

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Somewhere I remember Barry taking credit for the "temporary" fix..the financial band aid as it were.

Barry thought he'd be able to use scare tatics, panic, and the results of 4 years of dividing this country into pieces to bully the GOP to get his way. To raise the debt ceiling.

If he was so friggin concerned about the sequester...the same sequester HE created..one would think he'd be....oh...idk...WORKING IN WASHINGTON to prevent it from taking effect?

I wonder how the 47% is feeling now? Where are all the Obama-groupies now?

Are we moving forward yet??

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."---Thomas Jefferson

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:40 AM

The Obama groupies are still devoted.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Somewhere I remember Barry taking credit for the "temporary" fix..the financial band aid as it were.

Barry thought he'd be able to use scare tatics, panic, and the results of 4 years of dividing this country into pieces to bully the GOP to get his way. To raise the debt ceiling.

If he was so friggin concerned about the sequester...the same sequester HE created..one would think he'd be....oh...idk...WORKING IN WASHINGTON to prevent it from taking effect?

I wonder how the 47% is feeling now? Where are all the Obama-groupies now?

Are we moving forward yet??

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Bob Woodward has been backpedaling and covering his ass since he made a fool of himself two days ago.

I'm honestly saddened to see such a celebrated journalist humiliated like this. He's lost so much credibility over this.

And the even sadder part is that the media is encouraging it.

amsp259
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Bob Woodward has been backpedaling and covering his ass since he made a fool of himself two days ago.

I'm honestly saddened to see such a celebrated journalist humiliated like this. He's lost so much credibility over this.

ARE U SERIOUS??? He has GAINED CREDIBILITY!! You must watch only prime time news or the lie time in prime news....He is one of many that are comming out.....obama..obama obama really give up the worship, you people are being played by YOUR emotions......".whatever you do they cant take my decisions or my mind" , SLAVES

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Who are you?

I don't think I mentioned Obama in my post, did I?

Quoting amsp259:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

ARE U SERIOUS??? He has GAINED CREDIBILITY!! You must watch only prime time news or the lie time in prime news....He is one of many that are comming out.....obama..obama obama really give up the worship, you people are being played by YOUR emotions......".whatever you do they cant take my decisions or my mind" , SLAVES

JustCJ
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM

What about Amber Lyon? Same crap, differen't story. I don't know if it had been discussed in this forum though.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Who are you?

I don't think I mentioned Obama in my post, did I?

Quoting amsp259:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM

And which part do you feel that he made a fool of himself?  The part that he finally admitted some truth about Obama and his sequester or the that he was arrogant enough to think that he was above being turned on by his liberal friends?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I don't at all think he thought libs and the media wouldn't attack him.

His book was actually far more critical of Boehner and the House Dems than Obama and the Senat Repubs.

I think he just said, "Enough!" with O's lies about his own involvement with the sequester - knowing that O and the gang had actually told the story correctly in interviews with HIM.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

And which part do you feel that he made a fool of himself?  The part that he finally admitted some truth about Obama and his sequester or the that he was arrogant enough to think that he was above being turned on by his liberal friends?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)