Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

lots of money to be made in Chicago

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM
  • 37 Replies

If you want to smuggle cigarettes.  They just bumped up taxes and a pack of cigs is going to be 11 bucks.  Ask Michigan how well that worked when they were the highest tax in the nation.  I worked at our store in Howe Indiana at that time and the cig sales soared.  Michigan people were coming down and buying cartons by the van loads.  Michigan revenue plummeted and stores at or near the border closed left and right due to loss of business.  It was big enough news that the store and my brother were on CNN.

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM
3 moms liked this
People buy them in KY too. They have gone up, but nearly as high as in other states.

The logic in raising taxes on cigs so high escapes me. When you tax something high enough to be close to unaffordable, you sell less, therefore losing tax money. The people applauding them raising the taxes because smoking is disgusting, watch out. When they realize the money won't be rolling in, they might raise the taxes on something YOU buy, or used to when you could afford it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cheribomb
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

i live in cook county & the majority of people i know buy their smokes in indiana or Will county now.  chicago just fucking sucks all around. shootings everywhere, highest city taxes, highest gas prices. i HATE living here!!!!

okijet
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Gas per gallon in avg. Chicago gas station??    Here so far it's like just under $4.00  Started climbling again.   What is 11 per pack of cigs to bring?  Electronic cigs.  Quitting for one.  Healthier eating.  Breathing.

Why would people choose to smoke at all .. I quit easily early in life knowing that prices were only climbing fast and would continue.  Also I like to breathe air.  I only did smoke to look and act in control of something, and all it did was look wasteful, and smelled horrible.

Quoting Cheribomb:

i live in cook county & the majority of people i know buy their smokes in indiana or Will county now.  chicago just fucking sucks all around. shootings everywhere, highest city taxes, highest gas prices. i HATE living here!!!!

JustCJ
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Yeh it has been that way in NY for  a long time now. I don't smoke anymore, but when I did I went and bought my cigarettes on the indian rez...till NY decided to infringe on their rights again. The only money to be made by those poor people is from cigarette sales. It's a shame. So far they have kept the state off them but it's an unending battle.

Cheribomb
by New Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

gas is just about $4.  

yeah this tax is NOT making people quit.  they are fucking addicted.  this doesNOTHING but break the bank for smokers.  i personally don't know anyone who quit because of the prices. they just keep .  neither does telling them that they stink or its bad for them.  this is just another way for chicago to FUCK its people AGAIN!  

Quoting okijet:

Gas per gallon in avg. Chicago gas station??    Here so far it's like just under $4.00  Started climbling again.   What is 11 per pack of cigs to bring?  Electronic cigs.  Quitting for one.  Healthier eating.  Breathing.

Why would people choose to smoke at all .. I quit easily early in life knowing that prices were only climbing fast and would continue.  Also I like to breathe air.  I only did smoke to look and act in control of something, and all it did was look wasteful, and smelled horrible.

Quoting Cheribomb:

photo diazpellegrino.gif

okijet
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

so if you didn't live in Chicago.. cigs would be your main rule of lifes pleasures, rather than just (if you're a smoker) or do you stand up for them? smh  If $11 were between my self or the truth, then both my self/ truth would take the say against the rule of paying $11 to keep my habit.  I've gotten near some of those that are addicted to where they'll fall over standing up wide awake, but sleeping standing up.  Well like a coma but standing. They're fully aware of you, and them, but cannot' stand, still insisting they aren't sick but just addicted to pain meds, or cigs, or coffee, ....anything.   But why make them $11?  Exactly so they can get  them to play the game with them.

Chicago markets figure if people are going to stay addicted than they may as well keep making money, as long as addicts KEEP. being addicted.  IT's a fair game-- addicts litter streets *(Chicago mentality)* not my dictates, just Chicago's.   So chicago plays the game on Chicago's playing board, kind of like MOnopoly board. 

So I can say for serious benefits to addicts, that if they are smuggling or whatever,... it's their own money, they can spend it the way they like.  If they have an addiction or habit, it's got to be taken seriously.  OR they don't know ''''what''''to do.  Isn't it very easy to get these duty free from Canada?  OR Indian reservations?

Quoting Cheribomb:

gas is just about $4.  

yeah this tax is NOT making people quit.  they are fucking addicted.  this doesNOTHING but break the bank for smokers.  i personally don't know anyone who quit because of the prices. they just keep .  neither does telling them that they stink or its bad for them.  this is just another way for chicago to FUCK its people AGAIN!  

Quoting okijet:

Quoting Cheribomb:

okijet
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

on the other hand. legally, it's tax fraud to sell unstamped cigarettes, on the bottom on the pack it should have a county stamp or state not sure how they do this..

marked clearly with blue or black inked permanently.   If this is not on the pack it's an illegal pack, which isn't monitored by anyone, and it can be changed onto any price illegally of course, making those addicted cig smokers to pay whatever is charged.   It's not legal one bit.  Taxing isn't something to MAKE a mint on.  It's in the bible that the disciples asked Jesus if a tax should be paid and how much.  Jesus replied that the tax is only once..  which would seriously make a pack of cigs only about .30c a pack.  If it's 6 cents tax on the dollar, than a 5 dollar pack would be only 30c. tax.  

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree, smoking is bad.  But my problem with government taxing things like this is there will come a time when they will tax something you like.  Slippery slope.

Quoting okijet:

Quoting Cheribomb:

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Did you know that for $4.00 you can buy a box of tubes w/filters, about 3 cartons worth? And then for about $35 you can buy 3 cartons worth of tube cut tobacco. There's a machine you can buy, either to do mechanically by hand, or electronically -depending how much you want to spend on it- to roll your own cigarrettes. You can do it while watching tv. I can roll two packs in an hour. When you do it yourself, a carton turns out to cost something like $15.  i've also heard of people ordering cartons online from europe and paying $20 for the whole carton.

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
2 moms liked this

smoking is bad. drinking too much coffee is bad. drinking soda is bad. too much salt, too much sugar, too much fat.....why don't they just slap a friggin' "bad humans! bad!" tax on us. they treat us like dogs, pavlovian response and all. then you have people who support these unfair taxes, and their rationale is that its okay to unfairly tax this particular consumer because their choice is 'bad'.

i agree with you. except that, it's not just a slippery slope...the tax itself is already unfair. the government taxes Americans more on a particular product that they know they can make money off of because it is addictive. they know it's addictive because they subsidized the industry in the 70s so that more addictive agents could be put in the tobacco. so they want more money, they find a reason to sell the public on why it's OK to unfairly tax a segment of society, and then tax us, carte blanche.

It's already an unfair, illegitimate action to tax a sub group of society based upon what they purchase.

Quoting lylalane7275:

I agree, smoking is bad.  But my problem with government taxing things like this is there will come a time when they will tax something you like.  Slippery slope.

Quoting okijet:

Quoting Cheribomb:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN