Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama: 'Jedi Mind-Meld' Not A Possible Solution For Sequester

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM
  • 19 Replies

By JIM KUHNHENN, The ASSOCIATED PRESS WASHINGTON

â€” A combative President Barack Obama blamed Republican lawmakers Friday for failing to stop automatic spending cuts that were to begin kicking in later in the day, calling the cuts "dumb, arbitrary." Republicans said the fault was his, for insisting that increased taxes be part of the resolution. The president said the impact of the cuts won't immediately be felt, but middle class families will begin to "have their lives disrupted in significant ways." He said that as long as the cuts stay in effect, Americans will know that the economy could have been better had they been averted. "The pain, though, will be real," Obama said. "This is not a win for anybody. This is a loss for the American people," he said. Obama, pressed on whether he bears some of the responsibility for the stalemate, expressed frustration. "Give me an example of what I might do," he challenged reporters. "I am not a dictator. I'm the president," he said. He added that he can't do a "Jedi mind-meld" or use any "special sauce" to get Republicans to negotiate. "I can't force Congress to do the right thing," Obama said. He said he still believed the cuts could be replaced but he wanted a deal that includes more tax revenue by closing "wasteful" loopholes. He said it may take a couple of weeks or couple of months to find a fix for the impasse. "Let's be clear: None of this is necessary," Obama said. "It's happening because of a choice that Republicans in Congress have made. We shouldn't be making a series of dumb, arbitrary cuts to things." Obama met at the White House Friday morning with House Speaker John Boehner, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell and House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi. Boehner's office said he and McConnell told Obama they're willing to close tax loopholes but only to lower taxes overall, not to replace spending cuts. Obama and congressional leaders have agreed that Congress should pass a bill funding the government beyond the end of March while they keep working on a way to replace the spending cuts, Boehner's office said. "The president got his tax hikes on January 1st," Boehner said bluntly after the meeting with Obama. "The discussion about revenue in my view is over. It's about taking on the spending problem here in Washington." On Thursday, two proposals aimed at blunting the blame over the cuts – one Democratic and the other Republican – were rejected in the Senate. The meeting Friday was the first the two sides have had this year on the budget battle, and it lasted under an hour. Asked whether he couldn't get the parties in a room and stay there until they reach a deal, he noted that McConnell left the meeting early to catch a plane. "I can't have Secret Service block the doorway," Obama said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/01/obama-jedi-mind-meld_n_2790521.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing7%7Cdl34%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D277640

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM
2 moms liked this

"Obama, pressed on whether he bears some of the responsibility for the stalemate, expressed frustration. "Give me an example of what I might do," he challenged reporters."

So now the media is supposed to do his job? Find solutions for a sequester HE created?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."---Thomas Jefferson

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Why not?  That's how he got obamacare through.  He let Pelosi and Reed run the show, and do all of the bribing.  He doesn't lead, he hasn't a clue how to.

The Jedi mind-meld comment made my jaw drop.  He's such a damn elitist, he probably never even saw Star Wars or re-runs of Star Trek....probably too busy doing all of the blow and weed.  The man really makes a fool of himself when he goes off his teleprompter.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

"Obama, pressed on whether he bears some of the responsibility for the stalemate, expressed frustration. "Give me an example of what I might do," he challenged reporters."

So now the media is supposed to do his job? Find solutions for a sequester HE created?

grandma B

29again
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Awww.  He's so cute when he mixes things up like that!  Reminds me of my granddaughter who told me it only took 4 hours to drive from OH to MT....  Kids are so adorable at that age!  What a little chump champ!

playing golf

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM

You know, I'm kinda sick of this kindergarten back and forth with adult politicians representing either the democratic or republican parties. Americans are better than that. We deserve explanations. We deserve the politicians to ALL be accountable TO US. They are not transparent on purpose, and think we're very dumb that these distraction techniques would work.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Aren't Star WARS and Star TREK the same thing? They are both "stars".

Or is that a mixed metaphor?

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM

That is true, Pelosi has some serious callouses on her knees.

I thought I was all alone saying this man doesn't know how to lead. He could lead a gaggle of geese to a pond.

He really does get ridiculous when he goes teleprompter rogue...lol

Quoting grandmab125:

Why not?  That's how he got obamacare through.  He let Pelosi and Reed run the show, and do all of the bribing.  He doesn't lead, he hasn't a clue how to.

The Jedi mind-meld comment made my jaw drop.  He's such a damn elitist, he probably never even saw Star Wars or re-runs of Star Trek....probably too busy doing all of the blow and weed.  The man really makes a fool of himself when he goes off his teleprompter.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I'm with you..I'm sick of them too..but I have to say unfortunately, the distraction techniques have worked for years.

To their defense, it's a long standing bad habit of distraction that's clearly hard for Washington to change. Even Barry, who had only been a senator for 114 days before tossing his hat into the POTUS race in '08.

Quoting buttersworth:

You know, I'm kinda sick of this kindergarten back and forth with adult politicians representing either the democratic or republican parties. Americans are better than that. We deserve explanations. We deserve the politicians to ALL be accountable TO US. They are not transparent on purpose, and think we're very dumb that these distraction techniques would work.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

lol...omg don't let the Trekkies hear you say their the same!!

Quoting SallyMJ:

Aren't Star WARS and Star TREK the same thing? They are both "stars".

Or is that a mixed metaphor?

mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Blame him when it wouldn't have came to this if bush hadn't of started 2 wars back too back when HIS presidency began after he suceeded clinton in 2000 look at the last few presidents doings not just obama
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this

This IS Barry's fault. HE CREATED the sequester and the temporary measure that was also the fiscal cliff! Barry's using temporary measures to get what he wanted in his first term to raise the debt ceiling. And when YOUR OWN PEOPLE are telling you "yo-dude NOT a good idea"..that's baaaaaddd, reallllly baaad.

But since Barry refuses to negotiate, and continues to act like a 4yo demanding candy at the checkout..I doubt much will get done these next 4 years too. Least of all will Barry submit a budget.

Bush didn't create either (the fiscal cliff or the sequester). Yes, he started 2 wars, but you don't go to war now and pay later. It doesn't work that way. Jet fuel, tank fuel, ammo, soldiers, bases in the warzones, etc all have to be paid for when the war happens. Please, please stop blaming Bush for the fact that Barry hasn't submitted 1 balanced budget as required by the constitution (that he swore to uphold) in 4 years.

NONE

ZERO

NOT A SINGLE BALANCED BUDGET IN 4 YEARS!!!

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Blame him when it wouldn't have came to this if bush hadn't of started 2 wars back too back when HIS presidency began after he suceeded clinton in 2000 look at the last few presidents doings not just obama

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN