Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

10 dumbest things Republicans said last month

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM
  • 71 Replies

10 dumbest things Republicans said last month

MARCH 3, 2013, AT 2:40 PM

Conventional wisdom suggests that Republicans would hold five additional U.S. Senate seats if their candidates hadn't said really dumb things during the last two election cycles. 

So last month, I decided to keep track of the most controversial comments — some inflammatory, some just plain crazy — made by Republican politicians.

Here's the round-up for February: 

1. "When a physician removes a child from a woman, that is the largest organ in a body. That's a big thing. That's a big surgery. You don't have any other organs in your body that are bigger than that."

—Alabama state Rep. Mary Sue McClurkin (R), defending her sweeping anti-abortion bill.

2. "They are going to cull the herd, so that instead of having billions, we'll only have hundreds of millions of human beings on the face of the planet."

—Alan Keyes, warning what's behind President Obama's gun control proposal.

3. "Some people could make the argument that a lot of people like being in abusive relationships. It's a love-hate relationship. It's very, very common for people to stick around with somebody they love who also abuses him or her."

—New Hampshire state Rep. Mark Warden (R), during a debate on a bill to reduce the penalty for simple assault.

4. "Slavery and abortion are the two most horrendous things this country has done but when you think about the immorality of wild, lavish spending on our generation and forcing future generations to do without essentials just so we can live lavishly now, it's pretty immoral."

—Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-Texas), equating slavery with the national debt.

5. "Like most men, I'm more opposed to violence against women than even violence against men. Because most men can handle it a little better than a lot of women can."

—Rep. Jimmy Duncan (R-Tenn.), speaking on anti-violence legislation.

6. "There's a lot of ill will towards Sen. Hagel because when he was a Republican, he attacked President Bush mercilessly. At one point, he said he was the worst president since Herbert Hoover, said the surge was the worst blunder since the Vietnam War, which is nonsense. He was very 'anti 'his own party, and people don't forget that." 

—Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), explaining the GOP backlash against Chuck Hagel.

7. "To redefine marriage is discriminatory towards those who hold the sincerely held religious belief that it is a sacred institution between a man & a woman." 

—Illinois state Sen. Kyle McCarter (R), in response to the state Senate approving same-sex marriage in Illinois.

8. "I'm going to try to be brief because I notice you're on your fourth glass of water, and I don't want to be accused of waterboarding you."

—Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), speaking in the middle of a long, contentious confirmation hearing for John Brennan as CIA director.

9. "Slow down. Slow down. How about a little foreplay?" 

—House Speaker John Boehner, joking that with bipartisan conversations on immigration reform taking place it's too early to talk about specific legislation.

10. "I was very proud of the fact that I didn't get anything wrong that I said during the course of the debates. I didn't get anything wrong, and that's a huge arena."

—Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), commenting on her performance in the 2012 GOP presidential debates.

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlueRay
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM
4 moms liked this
You should put a warning stating that Republicans don't have to open if they are easily offended
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BlueRay
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
8 and 9 are pretty funny!
NewMom11222011
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Number 1 is more like number two, if you know what I mean (and I know you do).  A fetus is not an organ and most abortions are done so early in the pregnancy that the fetus is smaller than almost any organ.  Doesn't mean I'm a fan, just stating the facts.  As someone so eloquently stated on a post earlier this weekend: Oy to the Vey.

Mama2Spencerninja

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM
10. "I was very proud of the fact that I didn't get anything wrong that I said during the course of the debates. I didn't get anything wrong, and that's a huge arena."

—Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), commenting on her performance in the 2012 GOP presidential debates.

This is both hilarious and sad
How can people keep voting for her..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to say 8&9 made me giggle. I don't see how they are "dumb" they are pretty funny. Funnier than Obamas attempt at being cooler than pop culture by not knowing correct star trek/wars references.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Some of those weren't even logical.  Did they even think before opening their mouths?

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM

You know, sometimes even republicans have to groan at some of the things various party leaders are saying lol  I'm pretty conservative and tend to vote mainly republican, but I got a good chuckle out of the idiocy of some of these remarks.

Quoting BlueRay:

You should put a warning stating that Republicans don't have to open if they are easily offended

babiesbabybaby development

GaleJ
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes I wonder how they manage to find their way to the capital, they definitely don't seem to be the best and the brightest now do they?
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:29 AM
Most politicians seem to lose that ability when there is a camera and or mic

Quoting kailu1835:

Some of those weren't even logical.  Did they even think before opening their mouths?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:00 AM
2 moms liked this

As opposed to the ten dumbest things democrats said?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)