Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OBAMA'S WHITE HOUSE: HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT FOR REPORTERS

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

Newsweek's Jonathan Alter says Robert Gibbs sent him a 'Threatening email' in 2008 after he wrote an article critical of Barack Obama.  

"There is a kind of a threatening tone that from time to time, not all the time, but comes out of these guys in this White House, but that doesn’t excuse it. And, you know, they should not play that way, but they, they feel like they’re holding the cards in the relationship. They’ve got people’s access, you know, to hold over them."

National Journal's Ron Fournier describes "vulgarity, abusive language" in several e-mails from the Obama White House.  

"As editor-in-chief of National Journal, I received several e-mails and telephone calls from this White House official filled with vulgarity, abusive language, and virtually the same phrase that Politico characterized as a veiled threat. “You will regret staking out that claim,” The Washington Post reporter was told.

Once I moved back to daily reporting this year, the badgering intensified. I wrote Saturday night, asking the official to stop e-mailing me. The official wrote, challenging Woodward and my tweet. “Get off your high horse and assess the facts, Ron,” the official wrote."

David Brody, reporter for the Christian Broadcast Network (CBN), revealed that he, too was the recipient of bullying, intimidating behavior from the Obama White House. 

“What started as just some verbal frustration from the White House that I would even want a reason about this story turned into a full-fledged shouting match on the phone with some choice words, shall we say, and it escalated from there." 

As the drip, drip, drip of stories continue to come to light, at what point will the White House be held accountable for the behavior that would constitute a hostile work environment in any other business circumstance?  

In Obama's America, workers can sue their employer if they are subjected to a hostile work environment.  Can you imagine the litigious field day trial lawyers would have with a paper trail showing a pattern of behavior like this one?  I know that in my work place I can't send continuous, abusive e-mails to people I work with.  I can't use the kind of vulgarity and bullying tactics as described by these reporters.  

So, when does the White House Human Resources office start investigating the employees accused of this behavior?  Or, perhaps, when does a reporter ask their employer to intervene and proactively get this behavior to stop? 

The White House is a hostile work environment, and the CEO has set the tone since day one.  Will anyone call him on it?  Anyone?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm, sounds familiar.

Is this a coincidence, or are all the stories just starting to come out? Bet there are more out there. When it rains, it pours.

Don't remember this coming out with any other administration since Nixon. Interesting.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

BUMP!

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe more and more reporters will come forth now that two well known "biggies" have exposed Obama and his admin.  I'm sure they thought no one would believe them before.  Although, I'm sure it won't make any difference, since this admin reigns supremely over an acquiescing news media.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM

It won't and the supporters do not care.

Quoting grandmab125:

Maybe more and more reporters will come forth now that two well known "biggies" have exposed Obama and his admin.  I'm sure they thought no one would believe them before.  Although, I'm sure it won't make any difference, since this admin reigns supremely over an acquiescing news media.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I know that in my work place I can't send continuous, abusive e-mails to people I work with.  

Just FYI --

The White House and the Press Corps don't really work "with" eachother. 

Legally speaking, if you are in a position where you are getting abused by someone as part of your working environment, typically, the responsible party is the party putting you in contact with that abuse.  So if you're a reporter getting harassed by a source, the person to blame for it isn't your source, it's your editor for putting you in that position.   

amsp259
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I wonder why they think that is appropriate?? If they are intimidating... I wonder how Obama is directly with his staff?
pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM

They could have a harassment case if the emails continued after a certain point.  Or better yet, those that have had issues should just publish the emails.  But I imagine that the mild threats would esculate in a different type of attack.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this

That's an illogical statement.  If a reporter goes running to his editor or the next guy up the ladder, he'll probably get fired for not being able to handle the responsibilities of his job.  Which, in this case, would be taking the crap Obama's lackey's hand out to any one who dares to question him.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I know that in my work place I can't send continuous, abusive e-mails to people I work with.  

Just FYI --

Legally speaking, if you are in a position where you are getting abused by someone as part of your working environment, typically, the responsible party is the party putting you in contact with that abuse.  So if you're a reporter getting harassed by a source, the person to blame for it isn't your source, it's your editor for putting you in that position.   

grandma B

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I think it is a leadership issue. I think personally, Obama in general works fine with women.

But he apparently does not follow through to make sure his higher level staff do the same thing. Hence, the hostile work environment.

Obama is the big boss, so he ultimately bears responsibility. Sad. Never heard this stuff about any of his predecessors.

Quoting amsp259:

I wonder why they think that is appropriate?? If they are intimidating... I wonder how Obama is directly with his staff?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM

You can't be serious.

So I, as en employee who works with outside clients - if they cuss at me, it is my boss's fault? And not the fault of the misbehaving clients?

It is not n boss, the editor's job. It's ultimately the president's responsibility - because he is the big boss over his own staff. He would probably delegate it to those people's boss.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Just FYI --

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)