Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Schoolchildren attending Michelle Obama “Let’s Move” event forced to go almost ten hours without food

Posted by   + Show Post

Schoolchildren attending Michelle Obama “Let’s Move” event forced to go almost ten hours without food

MARCH 6, 2013

One of Progressivism’s hallmarks is its absolute certainty that the government knows more about parenting than parents do.  That’s why Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” campaign, rather than seeming like a nice hobby for a First Lady, irks so many Americans:  her motives are suspect.  Rather than offering suggestions to parents, one can’t help but think that her goal is to have the government take control. The problem, as anyone who’s stood in line at the Passport and or a DMV office knows, is that, whenever the government takes charge, people have to wait . . . and wait . . . and wait.  Small surprise, then, that the 6,000 children who attended one of Michelle’s “Let’s Move” functions had to go for hours without food.

This story about the government’s inability to give kid any food, let alone healthy food, broke when Lisa Putnam, a First Lady fan and 5th grade teacher in Chicago’s public school system, wrote about her classroom’s adventures attending a February 28 event marking the kick off of Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move! Active Schools” campaign.  Putnam described the event in detail at CPS Chatter, a Chicago Public schools online forum.  According to Putnam, the White House-coordinated event was a disaster from start to finish:

If you are a parent, imagine that you take your child on a trip and they are very excited. Now imagine they have to wait on a bus and stand in straight lines for three hours straight. Then imagine after one hour of “fun” that they have to sit around and wait for three more hours that bus to pick them up. Oh, did I mention that are not allowed to have a morsel of food the entire time? Now, multiply that by 25 to 35. Sounds fun right?! That’s a little bit what the day was like for CPS students, parents and teachers at the Let’s Move! Campaign.

The day began with the buses picking us up from our school. As we arrived at McCormick Place, we passed bus after bus after bus, full of students. Our bus took its place at the end of that line, and we waited for over 45 minutes to reach our destination. I thought the 90 total minutes in a school bus full of children would be the extent of my stress, but I was a bit naive at this point.

We were moved to a location in a large concrete room with thousands of children. We were told to keep our students in three straight quiet lines. The students stood there for almost an hour. Then, the students were ushered into a giant room with a stage and told they had to be very quiet, that there was a “surprise in there for them.” 6,000 kids quiet? Good luck guy. As the students went into the room, they were all assigned to stand in different areas. The students framed the stage on three sides and the media was seated on the four side of the rectangular square. As the commercial, I mean event, began each athlete was introduced. They all had a 1-2 minute motivational speech that was so cheesy that none of the athletes really seemed to connect with the students and the messages did not resonate. It seemed like one giant Nike advertisement. Finally, the first lady came out. Although she was stunning and her message was powerful, her back was to the children. She was facing the media. I couldn’t help wondering, who is this event really for? Then I realized my students were just a backdrop to this campaign/commercial.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Replies (91-98):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I did read the OP.  I just read it again, and I don't see where it says that the WH told them not to bring lunch.

Had you read my response, however, you would see where I specifically said that they could have eaten lunch while they were in queue waiting to get UNloaded...meaning, before the show started...ergo, not sitting in a hot bus (in the winter in Chicago...I'm sure the bus was sweltering *eyeroll*) for 10 hours.

You sure make a lot of assumptions.  I'm not a liberal.  I didn't vote for Obama.  I'm not of the opinion that he can do no wrong.  However, I'm also not of the opinion that if it was uttered from the lips of someone whose last name is Obama, it is automatically wrong, even if it is common sense.  With some of you, he could say that the sky is blue and you would argue about blue skies being a left-wing conspiracy.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Don't be silly. It was unintentional. But if you actually read the article, the teacher says the direction from the WH was NOT to bring lunch. So the average teacher and student would assume Michelle O is providing lunch. 

Right - It's a great idea to eat lunch that has been sitting on a hot bus for 10 hours. Are you asking for  these kids to get food poisoning?

Such an understanding person. You must be a liberal who defends the O's even when they do boneheaded things. I am pretty sure YOU would not expect your kids to eat food that would likely make them  sick.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Right. 

If you honestly believe that she told them to make the kids go hungry, I'm going to gently suggest that you may be being a little too influenced by propaganda.  Besides, she can't stop them from eating on the bus.  They could have eaten lunch while the buses were queued up to get unloaded. 

Either way, this is lack of preparation on the teachers' part.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Michelle O told them NOT to! They were following her instructions.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It didn't occur to the teachers to have the kids bring a sack lunch?  Every field trip my kids go on, there is a form that has to be sent back where we check a box stating whether they will bring their own sack lunch or buy one from the cafeteria.

LIMom1105
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I agree, what were they thinking?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It didn't occur to the teachers to have the kids bring a sack lunch?  Every field trip my kids go on, there is a form that has to be sent back where we check a box stating whether they will bring their own sack lunch or buy one from the cafeteria.

ms-superwoman
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Quoting SallyMJ:

If a news source tells the correct facts, it is a credible source. Even if Pravda tells the facts, it is a credible source. 

ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, NPR, PBS, HuffPost, Slate, Daily Kos, Democratic Underground, Salon, and all their siblings in the MSM - none of them is a credible source.

So why do you even bother reading them? They are all bigoted and one-sided. They selectively edit conservative statements, outrageously accuse even liberals of crimes in "politically incorrect" situations. They have about 75% opinion and 25% information, which is often not accurate.

They don't even admit they have a very strong leftward slant - say they are "neutral". Right.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Word Press is a site for blogs. Also not a credible source.

Quoting SallyMJ:

It's true - that news is posted in a number of sources.

It is based on a teacher's write-up on the Chicago Public School (CPS) parents website. It is virtually identical t what is quoted in the article.

//cps299.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/lets-move-disaster/

Why is it not included in liberal websites? Take a guess. Because they don't want to report on anything negative about the Obamas.

Basically the Obamas never do anything wrong - and if they do, we won't report it so people won't know they did something wrong.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Mr. Conservative website? That isn't a credible source.

I don't watch/read any of those. Not sure what you're point is. The websites you and OP posted are not credible sources.
momof4loves4
by New Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Lucky for where you live! I'm in NJ. We don't have a salad bar option just a pre made side salad that comes with main lunch which limits everything for one of my girls. Even if she had those 3 choices like your kids school, that would medically leave her with one option and the biggest problem is they are feeding all kids to 8th grade the same portion as a kindergarten student. She's in 5th grade. But my 3rd grader has her complaints as well. It's just a shame. The thing is, my daughter loved salads and fruits and veggies before this allergy came about. I hate that when I pick my kids up from school, she is always SO hungry, when she buys lunch. The others don't complain nearly as much as her so I think Michelle should think of those who CAN'T take the healier option and maybe not make it as extreme. I mean, you can look online and see your child's lunch account and what they buy so why can't we as parents monitor our kids menus and options as to what the schools offer to eat? I wish it was more laid back here, believe me, can't wait to get out of NJ!

Quoting 1Giovanni:

Our school lunches are not smaller actually there a bit more. I wonder if it is the school districts that change things up for them. Not sure how that works. 

The children has 3 choices, Salad bar, a main meal or peanut butter & Jelly sandwich w/fruit. Everything hear is local grown and freshly cooked each day we have been doing this before Mrs Obama. They already took out greasy hamburgers and box pizza. They have garden burgers and homemade pizza. There hasn't been much changes in our school because we already was following what she wanted even before President Obama came in office. 

But it might be just in our area because our town is bunch of burnt out hippies. lol. They are not burnt out but they are hippies. :)

Quoting momof4loves4:

Seriously, she is very right. My kids come home complaining every single time they buy lunch bc Michelle Obama changed school lunches up. My kids go to a school that is grades k-8. Why does a kindergartener get the same portion as an 8th grader?! Also, many kids have food allergies and are not able to eat a lot of the food they push on the kids. The portions are smaller, and there is way less on their tray ever since Mrs. Obama changed school lunches. One of my kids has an allergy to raw fruits and veggies and she shouldn't have to starve because of it. And yes I pack them lunch as much as I can, but being a very busy wife and mom of 4, sometimes I don't always have everything I need for their lunches and they need to buy school lunch. They actually always preferred school lunch until the last year or 2 they come home complaining that Michelle Obama makes them go hungry bc she changed up school lunches. The school tells the kids to blame Michelle and they do. So before you go being all judgemental about wasted food, and what they are wasting, think for a minute that not all kids CAN eat what she is demanding!!! And the portion sizes are ridiculous. But yet school lunch prices keep going up. Is a shame this is happening, and it's a shame people can be so naive and closed minded about it

Quoting krysstizzle:

More vegetables and fruits? How awful. 

Quoting Debrowsky:

And speaking of the 'all improved lunch menu' forced upon our schools, I have heard nothing but complaints and dissatisfaction from kids everytime you bring the subject up.  Lots of wasted food in the kitchen at the end of lunch period.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Redwall
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM
It's not anybody's responsbility to take care of my kids and my family but me. And quite frankly, I've seen photos of her in a restaurant, I think it was in France with her daughers and they said the meal was about 3000 calories. She really isn't setting that goof of an example.
Quoting LucyMom08:

Why? For helping schools focus on better nutrition for our children and advocating exercise? That should be a positive in anyone's book...

Quoting Redwall:

She disgusts me.

paknari
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Since when do the places that a school goes for any event have them provide the food. So this school district did not have the children bring a lunch or think about what the kids were going to eat? Who failed here? Granted the spearhead and everything sounds silly but my mom is a teacher and when they leave the school theybare the people who have to organize that stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4and1mom
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM
You say that like it is a free service. And the same could be said to those wanting to dictate what our kids should and should not have.... like I said before the government has more important things to do than plan little johnnys lunch everyday. Also, looking back to when I was in school, people were not as obese as the kids are today and oh my we ate school pizzas! And before you go there all 4 of my children are thin and fit.

Quoting 4and1mom:

Not once did I say the kids should be fed crap, I just don't think we need the govts input on food. I can raise my kids just fine without them

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Well, it's because I get there early to do math games with my daughter's class.  Then they break for lunch and recess.  After her lunch, I'm scheduled to work on spelling with my son's class.  It doesn't make sense to leave for that half hour and then come back, so I stay and eat lunch with her.  My son's lunch is at the same time I'm doing math games with my daughter, so I don't have lunch with him every week, only when I'm volunteering on different days at different times.

Yes, I think that the government has the right to set nutritional guidelines for the lunch they are providing.  Guilty as charged.  I think it's strange that you think that the government should be feeding kids crap when the standard American diet is causing such health issues as high blood pressure and type II diabetes in children.  Different strokes, I guess.

Quoting 4and1mom:

I find it strange they only get 15 minutes for lunch and you eat lunch with them. But then again you think its the governments right to decide what to feed them and that alone speaks volumns

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I'm defending the right of the government to set common sense nutritional guidelines for the lunch.  Pizza should not count as a vegetable just because there is tomato sauce on it.  They should serve other veggies besides corn, and they should be palatable.  Fried french fries should not count as a vegetable, etc.

I pack my kids' lunches because they don't like having to wait in the long line.  They only get 15 minutes for lunch, and often had to wait 10 minutes just to get throught the line, leaving only 5 minutes to scarf their lunches down.  But, there you went, making assumptions off of limited knowledge. 

Quoting 4and1mom:

So you are defending the food served by the schools yet you pack lunches for your children? Makes sense

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Redwall
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Quoting LucyMom08:

Why? For helping schools focus on better nutrition for our children and advocating exercise? That should be a positive in anyone's book...

Quoting Redwall:

She disgusts me.

Yes, she disgusts me. Sorry. Do I think she's advocating a good diet and exercise? Not really. I've read some of the stuff she and the girls eat when they're on vacation and honestly, her kids are headed for obesity if they keep it up. My child, nor my husband and I are overweight by even a little, but I find it insulting that anyone should give me advice. It's my family and I'll take care of them...thank you very much!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)