Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Record 89,304,000 Americans 'Not in Labor Force' -- 296,000 Fewer Employed Since January

Posted by   + Show Post

Record 89,304,000 Americans 'Not in Labor Force' -- 296,000 Fewer Employed Since January

jobs, unemployment

Job seekers wait to register for a national career fair in San Francisco. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg)

March 8, 2013

The number of Americans designated as "not in the labor force" in February was 89,304,000, a record high, up from 89,008,000 in January, according tothe Department of Labor. This means that the number of Americans not in the labor force increased 296,000 between January and February.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) labels people who are unemployed and no longer looking for work as “not in the labor force,” including people who have retired on schedule, taken early retirement, or simply given up looking for work. 

The increase marks the second month in a row, after rising in January from 88.8 million in December.  Those not in the labor force had declined in December from 88.9 million in November. 

The nation's unemployment rate decreased to 7.7 percent in February, down from 7.9 percent in January.  Overall unemployment “has shown little movement, on net, since September 2012,” the Labor Department said.

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 236,000 in February, according to the report.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Replies (31-39):
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM
No actually I didnt

And again. Point to PBS and NPR is biased because it gets a small amount of government funds..

Quoting 29again:

But YOU DID say that....  (see below) 

Wasn't there a moderator for one of the debates who hailed from PBS?  I can't quite recall, but I do think that was the case.  And I do have the impression that that debate was rather biased in the questions asked, and that the moderator was one of the better known anchors on that station.  Now, PBS does have some good programming, but not for its news and politics, imo.  NPR is much the same, its news reporting is more liberal leaning.  I have tried to listen to that source, thinking that it would be more balanced and non-biased, but I found as much bias there as at PMSNBC.  And, look at how NPR treated Juan Williams, who is not a bad commentator at all.  That alone was enough to turn me off of NPR.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Lol no one is saying that ..the site is a right wing extremist site.

Now tell me what makes PBS and NPR liberal?

Is government liberal? If so, doesn't that mean it reflects the people?

When did facts become equal to a liberal bias?

Quoting 29again:

Oh......... so no taxpayer and/or government subsidies = right wing extremism.  Whatever.  You seem to be unable to accept anything that doesn't come from a liberal Soros-backed/funded source.  Way to be tolerant, there!

And, btw, I do read a lot of what you submit.  I may not agree with it, but that doesn't stop me from being a big enough, tolerant enough person to at least read what you put on here.  What stops me most of the time with you is your utter inability to realize that not everything is about race all of the time, and your unwillingness to accept that not every Republican/Conservative is evil.  Other than that, it's all good.  =)

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Less of a chance?

Opposite

Would you read something I submitted and say its not biased?

Nope

They proved they are right wing extremists with their NPR and PBS references ..which is why the OP copy and pasted everything except that and didnt link it because of the extreme bias reputation CNS has

Quoting 29again:

What is wrong with a news site that depends on individual contributions to keep running rather than paid advertising?  And with no government subsidies, there is less chance of a bias in reporting.  So, what is the problem, exactly with CNSNews?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

You forgot to copy and paste this at the bottom of your OP.why?

CNSNews.com is not funded by the government like NPR. CNSNews.com is not funded by the government like PBS. 

CNSNews.com relies on individuals like you to help us report the news the liberal media distort and ignore. Please make a tax-deductible gift to CNSNews.com today. Your continued support will ensure that CNSNews.com is here reporting THE TRUTH, for a long time to come. It'sfast, easy and secure.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/record-89304000-americans-not-labor-force-296000-fewer-employed-january

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM

You have got to be kidding.   I guess not. :)

Yes, absolutely, they are liberal.

All you have to do is watch/listen for a few days. See how news and also other things are skewed to the left. That means a positive twist on liberal issues, and a negative one on conservative issues. Not everything, but mostly.

It might be difficult for you as a liberal - because the news and entertainment are overwhelmingly liberal slanted. You will have to really try and pay attention, because you are not used to looking for liberal bias.

Very easy for conservatives to spot, because we are vilified and ridiculed by the entire MSM.

It's been like that for years - including NPR and PBS.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

PBS and NPR are liberal?

In what ways?

Quoting SallyMJ:

I think because it's not HuffPost or one of its illegitimate siblings.

Or not CBS - Really messes ome people up when the letters are a little different, or in a different order.  :)

See, PBS which is a TAXPAYER FUNDED organization is OK, because it's liberal.

But every news source that is NOT liberal is suspect - even when the facts are correct.

It's called liberal freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Their political dogma is a rellgion - a worldview - to them.

Quoting 29again:

What is wrong with a news site that depends on individual contributions to keep running rather than paid advertising?  And with no government subsidies, there is less chance of a bias in reporting.  So, what is the problem, exactly with CNSNews?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

CNSNews.com is not funded by the government like NPR. CNSNews.com is not funded by the government like PBS. 

CNSNews.com relies on individuals like you to help us report the news the liberal media distort and ignore. Please make a tax-deductible gift to CNSNews.com today. Your continued support will ensure that CNSNews.com is here reporting THE TRUTH, for a long time to come. It'sfasteasy and secure.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/record-89304000-americans-not-labor-force-296000-fewer-employed-january

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM
This is of course, all bull

Quoting SallyMJ:

All you have to do is watch/listen for a few days. See how news and also other things are skewed to the left. That means a positive twist on liberal issues, and a negative one on conservative issues. Not everything, but mostly.

It might be difficult for you as a liberal - because the news and entertainment are overwhelmingly liberal slanted. You will have to really try and pay attention, because you are not used to looking for liberal bias.

Very easy for conservatives to spot, because we are vilified and ridiculed by the entire MSM.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

PBS and NPR are liberal?

In what ways?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Or not CBS - Really messes ome people up when the letters are a little different, or in a different order.  :)

But every news source that is NOT liberal is suspect - even when the facts are correct.

It's called liberal freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Their political dogma is a rellgion - a worldview - to them.

Quoting 29again:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

CNSNews.com relies on individuals like you to help us report the news the liberal media distort and ignore. Please make a tax-deductible gift to CNSNews.com today. Your continued support will ensure that CNSNews.com is here reporting THE TRUTH, for a long time to come. It'sfasteasy and secure.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
29again
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Um, yes, you did.  Did you not post this down below " They proved they are right wing extremists with their NPR and PBS references "?  It looks very much like you are stating that the NPR and PBS references are what makes them right wing extremists.  I would suggest that you reword things if that is not what you intended to say. 

And I don't believe that I said that those 2 orgs are biased BECAUSE they get government funds.  But the fact still remains that they are very much biased. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

No actually I didnt

And again. Point to PBS and NPR is biased because it gets a small amount of government funds..

Quoting 29again:

Wasn't there a moderator for one of the debates who hailed from PBS?  I can't quite recall, but I do think that was the case.  And I do have the impression that that debate was rather biased in the questions asked, and that the moderator was one of the better known anchors on that station.  Now, PBS does have some good programming, but not for its news and politics, imo.  NPR is much the same, its news reporting is more liberal leaning.  I have tried to listen to that source, thinking that it would be more balanced and non-biased, but I found as much bias there as at PMSNBC.  And, look at how NPR treated Juan Williams, who is not a bad commentator at all.  That alone was enough to turn me off of NPR.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting 29again:

Oh......... so no taxpayer and/or government subsidies = right wing extremism.  Whatever.  You seem to be unable to accept anything that doesn't come from a liberal Soros-backed/funded source.  Way to be tolerant, there!

And, btw, I do read a lot of what you submit.  I may not agree with it, but that doesn't stop me from being a big enough, tolerant enough person to at least read what you put on here.  What stops me most of the time with you is your utter inability to realize that not everything is about race all of the time, and your unwillingness to accept that not every Republican/Conservative is evil.  Other than that, it's all good.  =)

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Less of a chance?

Opposite

Nope

They proved they are right wing extremists with their NPR and PBS references ..which is why the OP copy and pasted everything except that and didnt link it because of the extreme bias reputation CNS has

Quoting 29again:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

CNSNews.com relies on individuals like you to help us report the news the liberal media distort and ignore. Please make a tax-deductible gift to CNSNews.com today. Your continued support will ensure that CNSNews.com is here reporting THE TRUTH, for a long time to come. It'sfast, easy and secure.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

All of the MSM you can think of - has liberal bias. There are very few that lean to the right: 

1) FNC -Most, but not all -  They do have about 30% of their anchors, contributors, analysts - of all different political ideologies. Conservatives in the MSM? Not so much.

2) Conservative talk radio

3) Some online news organizations.

So every single news media you use or watch or read is liberal biased. So don't talk to us about conservative bias in the few news sources that tell our stories accurately.

BTW: Neither NPR or PBS needs public funds. They would do just fine without them. That is a no-brainer for the sequester. Not a lot, but every bit adds up. Way better to save money in these ways instead of firing people or refusing to give babies immunizations. That is criminal - trying to make the American people hurt as much as possible, instead of the President using his discretion to target cuts so as not to cause damage to the people. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

No actually I didnt

Quoting 29again:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Less of a chance?

Opposite

Nope

Quoting 29again:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Sad numbers indeed. 

Safira
by New Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM
The report from the government is linked for anyone with who cares enough about other people to read.

Now I am going to quote and source from a DEMOCRATIC ex-President.
Quote:

USA Today - Ex-presidents Bush, Clinton play golf in Maine
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-06-28-golf_x.htm

Clinton, who just returned from a tour of Latin America, recalled a skeptic there asking him, "Is this deal between you and Bush real?"

When the questioner found it hard to believe that the two really liked each other, Clinton said, the man's personal dislike of his political opponents was "completely dysfunctional."

And another good article with the points of view of decency and civility expressed by both Bush Jr AND Bill Clinton.

George W. Bush and Bill Clinton preach civility on visit to Utah
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865560628/Bush-Clinton-visit-Utah-issue-call-for-civility-in-politics.html?pg=all

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Hilarious.

Because you say it is - I get it.

You ask me how to know, I tell you, and you say it's BS.

Openness to other ideas? Don't think so. 

Your comments do crack me up.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

PBS and NPR are liberal?

In what ways?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM
I'm open, just not to this bull crap

Quoting SallyMJ:

Hilarious.

Because you say it is - I get it.

You ask me how to know, I tell you, and you say it's BS.

Openness to other ideas? Don't think so. 

Your comments do crack me up.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

PBS and NPR are liberal?

In what ways?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)