Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Army Suspends Tuition Assistance Program

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:14 AM
  • 13 Replies

Please read and sign! This is so important! TIA 

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/reinstate-military-tuition-assistance-ta-and-block-armed-service-branches-any-further-suspension-ta/kSyVdySm

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

what would you suggest the suspend instead? Cuts have to be made, tuition assistance is a nice-to-have benefit. It is not even close to essential. If the Army didn't have to cut their budget so drastically they would not have to do this. I believe this is in response to sequestration. Would you instead have medical care cut, or security, what would you cut instead. Military tuition assistance is a benefit not an entitlement and not salary, it is not taxable income etc.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:39 AM
3 moms liked this

Make sure the cuts are as painful as possible.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM

The military has to cut non-essentials before critical programs. Tuition assistance is not a critical program.

Quoting Carpy:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I won't sign.

The Marines & Navy have already cut TA. This is personally affecting my husband but I'd rather them cut TA than Tricare or other more important things. TA isn't necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
This isn't painful. Does it suck? Yep. But they still have GI Bills...

Quoting Carpy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

This is inconvenient and it sucks but it is not an end all be all for the military.  Like some of the others said, I would rather them cut noncritical stuff than go after our medical coverage or things that the military members need.

nataliesmom2012
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I would much rather they cut TA than cut our healthcare or other benefits. TA isn't necessary. That's what we have our GI bills for. We've had a few people at our command who have been cut from the TA program and had to drop their classes. Shit happens.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashleywright88
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Why should they have to cut TA for Military? These people go and protect our freedom, they serve this country and deserve their tuition assistance! CUT PELL GRANTS! Why should someone who fought for their country have to lose their benefits while American citizen's can still recieve help with tuition? WTF?!

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:36 AM
Military still qualify for Pell Grants.

Quoting ashleywright88:

Why should they have to cut TA for Military? These people go and protect our freedom, they serve this country and deserve their tuition assistance! CUT PELL GRANTS! Why should someone who fought for their country have to lose their benefits while American citizen's can still recieve help with tuition? WTF?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Oh, thanks. I was getting ready to point this out. We get GI Bill funds, pell grants and can apply for scholarships...I'm actually surprised TA has lasted this long. Still waiting to see if ours goes away, too.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Military still qualify for Pell Grants.

Quoting ashleywright88:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)