Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woman who ate rat poison while pregnant charged with murder

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 2 Replies

If she had an abortion, she'd be within her "rights."  Our society really does believe killing the unborn is murder.

Woman who ate rat poison while pregnant charged with murder

Anonymous / AP

This undated photo provided by Indianapolis police shows Bei Bei Shuai, who is charged with murder in the Jan. 2, 2011, death of her 3-day-old daughter Angel Shuai.

By Charles Wilson, The Associated Press

Prosecutors who charged a mother with murdering her infant because she ate rat poison while pregnant have asked the Indiana judge trying the case to take steps that critics say could stifle any sympathy jurors might have for the woman.

Bei Bei Shuai's story has generated a wave of support from advocates who fear that her case could establish an unequal system that would effectively make pregnant women beholden to stricter rules than others under Indiana law.

Shuai, a 36-year-old Chinese immigrant from Shanghai, was eight months pregnant and heartbroken after a breakup when she ate rat poison in December 2010. She was hospitalized and doctors detected little wrong with the fetus' health for the first few days. Shuai gave birth to Angel Shuai on Dec. 31. Three days later, the baby died from bleeding in the brain. Medical staff reported her to the police; her lawyers said it was a suicide attempt.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
delilahsmom1177
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

She was 8 months pregnant. An abortion would be illegal at this point. This child suffered for 3 painful days. An early abortion(which yes I am pro choice put until until I certain point) Takes about 20 mins to preform and In all honesty the pain receptor are not even formed at 6 or 7 weeks. She should have had the baby given it up for adoption and taken her life if this was a suicide attempt. Sorry I am pro-choice on suicide too.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly - equal rights for moms and pre-born babies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)