Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

TOM BROKAW: OBAMA SPENDS TOO MUCH TIME CAMPAIGNING

Posted by   + Show Post

Former NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw made an appearance on MSNBC's The Cycle on March 4 and criticized President Obama for campaigning too much instead of governing. Brokaw also castigated Obama for refusing to negotiate with Republicans over the budget impasse and the sequester cuts.

Progressive panel member Touré asked Brokaw if the budget impasse was because the GOP is "refusing" to work with Obama because they are "incented to not work with the president."

Brokaw replied that he didn't think that Republicans were flat out refusing to work with the President but don't want to give away too much. Brokaw went on to lament that Obama is doing little else but demonizing the GOP instead of looking for ways to work with them.

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Replies (11-19):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Jax:

Please read again a little more closely - said in case you thought I was bothered by only the one short comment - NO:

"I'm talking about your all your interactions as a whole and your mostly negative tone. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable."

This has been going on for awhile 99.9% of the time you send me a comment. If conservatives did this, we would get chased off the board. I've tried to not let it bother me - but it came to a head today, I gave up, and I had to tell you.

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings - I am expressing my frustration at the way you respond to me. I speak for myself only. If others have an issue, they can communicate with you separately. I hope you can work with this, because it makes me crazy.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Wow.  You got all of that out of two sentences of text?  In which I provide the link to the actual interview and recommend it?

Okey dokey, then...  Let me just crawl on back into my Occupy tent and count my joints.  Shit, woman.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Listened to it - I don't see the problem. Breitbart pulled out Brokaw's take on the negotiating differences between Obama and Congress.

This is an accurate summary of the differences between both parties. BB didn't say it was a transcript.

Are you always so combative with conservatives in anything we do or say?  Can't you discuss in a courteous way?

And supposedly you are a "tolerant" member of the "tolerant" party. Especially for different points of view, huh? Geez.

I'm talking about your all your interactions as a whole and your mostly negative tone. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

Please take off the boxing gloves, set down the megaphone, and put away the Occupy movement tent. My gosh. How do you get along with others not like you in your personal life? How do you live with yourself when you treat people this way? Or are you just less charitable online?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Instead of going by brietbart's 2 second blurb about the interview, you can actually watch it.  It's quite interesting:

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/03/04/playing-chicken-tom-brokaw-on-d-c-dysfunction/

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:12 AM

How many joints ya got?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Wow.  You got all of that out of two sentences of text?  In which I provide the link to the actual interview and recommend it?

Okey dokey, then...  Let me just crawl on back into my Occupy tent and count my joints.  Shit, woman.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Listened to it - I don't see the problem. Breitbart pulled out Brokaw's take on the negotiating differences between Obama and Congress.

This is an accurate summary of the differences between both parties. BB didn't say it was a transcript.

Are you always so combative with conservatives in anything we do or say?  Can't you discuss in a courteous way?

And supposedly you are a "tolerant" member of the "tolerant" party. Especially for different points of view, huh? Geez.

I'm talking about your all your interactions as a whole and your mostly negative tone. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

Please take off the boxing gloves, set down the megaphone, and put away the Occupy movement tent. My gosh. How do you get along with others not like you in your personal life? How do you live with yourself when you treat people this way? Or are you just less charitable online?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Instead of going by brietbart's 2 second blurb about the interview, you can actually watch it.  It's quite interesting:

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, so, here's the deal.  Try not to take it personally (again) - it's only fair to give someone the entire interview.  If you took the manner in which I phrased it to be negative or a personal affront, I can't really help that. I don't like breitbart; I think that's a waste of your time but it's your time to waste and I am not the boss of you.

Sometimes it's easy to read things in a manner in which they weren't written.

I'm not trying to make you crazy.  I don't know you.  I'm a nice lady and I'm sure you are too. 

I don't send you comments.  I reply to posts on an internet message forum. 

You constantly attempt to paraphrase or question my responses to read as something I did not write; you read into it things I did not write, and then interpret them in your own way.  That's ignorant.

I do not live in an Occupy tent.  I do not own boxing gloves nor a megaphone, although these items might be fun at a party. 

I am not combative; merely logical and sometimes a tiny bit laughing; I'm a very easy going and empathetic person.  I have many personal friends who are conservative, some very conservative, and we all get along just fine and enjoy our conversations and debates on various issues, because we are all good people.  And we tease each other a lot.

But if you want to be a dick and ask me how I live with myself and how I treat people in my personal life because you can't handle a simple response on a message board, that's fine.  That's all you; I really don't care.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Jax:

Please read again a little more closely - said in case you thought I was bothered by only the one short comment - NO:

"I'm talking about your all your interactions as a whole and your mostly negative tone. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable."

This has been going on for awhile 99.9% of the time you send me a comment. If conservatives did this, we would get chased off the board. I've tried to not let it bother me - but it came to a head today, I gave up, and I had to tell you.

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings - I am expressing my frustration at the way you respond to me. I speak for myself only. If others have an issue, they can communicate with you separately. I hope you can work with this, because it makes me crazy.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM

De nada. 

Quoting Carpy:

How many joints ya got?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Obama has reached out to Republicans before.

It simply has never worked.

Maybe it will this time, but I'm not holding my breath.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM

It's called summarizing differences, as I mentioned.

I don't see the problem. Breitbart pulled out Brokaw's take on the negotiating differences between Obama and Congress.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you mean bone joints in the skeleton? Not sure - I've never taken an anatomy class.

Or furniture? Beats me - Not a professional or amateur carpenter.

Quoting Carpy:

How many joints ya got?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM

You are right, in that OTHER Democrat Presidents have reached out to Republicans before.

Not Obama. His "reaching out" means to pummel Republicans into accepting his position. The problem is Republicans have reached out to Obama without success. This has happened over and over - and is the main reason for the dysfunction between Congress, the Senate, and the President.

Numerous books have chronicled Democrat and Republican Congressmen and women and Senators' statements that Obama typically doesn't reach out to anyone  R or D. Doesn't develop personal relationships, even with D's - as all other presidents have done - the way to get things done and get people from both party on your side. Apparently thinks the power of his own personality and rhetoric will do the thing. Doesn't do it.

Very insightful book written by a liberal, harder on Republicans than Republicans: "The Price of Politics", B. Woodward 2012

Clinton loved doing this - Reagan was a master at it. Obama? Not so much.

Neera Tanden, a former aide to both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, had this to sayIt’s stunning that he’s in politics, because he really doesn’t like people. My analogy is that it’s like becoming Bill Gates without liking computers.”

http://nymag.com/news/politics/elections-2012/bill-hillary-clinton-2012-10/index2.html

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/10/former-aide-sorry-for-dissing-obama-138636.html?hp=r3

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/former-aide-obama-stunning-he-s-politics-because-he-really-doesn-t-people_654636.htm

Quoting MsDenuninani:

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I think Obama has reached out to Republicans, and I think that he has done so several times.  Bob Woodward himself chronicled discussions between Obama and Republicans in 2011.  I disagree with his conclusion, but I do completely believe Woodward when he says those conversations happened. 

Is it your opinion that they happened because Boehner reached out to Obama?

Further, I remember the roundtable held by Obama on health care back in early 2010.  I think that was Obama reaching out. 

I don't think Obama dislikes poeple -- I think he dislikes politics.  It's a thin distinction, but one that matters.  That said, it's definitely a worthy point to wonder how great a politican you can be if you dislike politics!

Nonetheless, I generally agree with this article as to Obama's reaching out.  Essentially, the journalist is saying that Obama has done it before, but never in a way that really worked.  I give Obama credit for trying, and wish it had.  That said, although I did not watch the interview that Jax posted (too hard to watch video at work), my hunch is that Brokaw thinks that Obama's attempt to sell his message directly to the people, i.e., campaigning, isn't working, so he's going back to the table to work with Republicans.  It's noteworthy that he's not working with the same ones he did before-- he's not talking to McConnell or Boehner (ie, the leaders of the party), he's talking to others that he thinks may still have an incentive to work with him.

Because, that I think, is the real problem -- Republicans simply do not have an incentive to work with the President.  In Reagan and Clinton's era, there was still enough incentive among the minority party to get something done in Congress.  There isn't right now; that, I think, is the real problem.

Quoting SallyMJ:

You are right, in that OTHER Democrat Presidents have reached out to Republicans before.

Not Obama. His "reaching out" means to pummel Republicans into accepting his position. The problem is Republicans have reached out to Obama without success. This has happened over and over - and is the main reason for the dysfunction between Congress, the Senate, and the President.

Numerous books have chronicled Democrat and Republican Congressmen and women and Senators' statements that Obama typically doesn't reach out to anyone  R or D. Doesn't develop personal relationships, even with D's - as all other presidents have done - the way to get things done and get people from both party on your side. Apparently thinks the power of his own personality and rhetoric will do the thing. Doesn't do it.

Very insightful book written by a liberal, harder on Republicans than Republicans: "The Price of Politics", B. Woodward 2012

Clinton loved doing this - Reagan was a master at it. Obama? Not so much.

Neera Tanden, a former aide to both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, had this to sayIt’s stunning that he’s in politics, because he really doesn’t like people. My analogy is that it’s like becoming Bill Gates without liking computers.”

http://nymag.com/news/politics/elections-2012/bill-hillary-clinton-2012-10/index2.html

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/10/former-aide-sorry-for-dissing-obama-138636.html?hp=r3

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/former-aide-obama-stunning-he-s-politics-because-he-really-doesn-t-people_654636.htm

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN