Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama would not eat lunch with Senate Republicans because he didn’t have a food taster… (Yes, I'm serious)

Posted by   + Show Post

Thursday, March 14, 2013 15:28

Nicholas Ballasy
Senior Video Reporter

WASHINGTON — Following President Obama’s lunch meeting with Senate Republicans on Capitol Hill, Maine Republican Senator Susan Collins described the food served, and said the president was not able to eat since his “taster” was not present.

“University of Maine recipe for healthy lobster salad — I pointed that out to the president in keeping with the first lady’s initiatives, and Fox Family Potato Chips made in Aroostook County where I’m from, and wild blueberry pie full of anti-oxidants, see this was a healthy lunch as well. We did have a little ice cream on the pie too, also made in Maine, Gifford’s Ice Cream. So in all seriousness, this was well received,” Collins told reporters on Thursday after the meeting at the Capitol.

When asked if Obama ate at the lunch meeting, Collins said, “Unfortunately, you know, the president can’t,” said Collins. 

“He looked longingly at it,” Collins continued. “He honestly did look longingly at it, but apparently he has to have essentially a taster, and I pointed out to him that we were all tasters for him, that if the food had been poisoned all of us would have keeled over so, but he did look longingly at it and he remarked that we have far better food than the Democrats do, and I said that was because I was hosting.”

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Replies (11-20):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Please. The only conspiracies Obama has with Republicans are in his own mind.

If he would just be cordial to them - as all other presidents are with the opposite party - instead of demonizing them, everyone would be happier, work better together, and he wouldn't have to have his food taster for non-existent poisoners who are eating the exact same food he is.

His rudeness and condescension to Republicans get in his own way, make him feel as if Republicans are out to get him, and then he develops these paranoid fears for life and limb with them.

Ridiculous. All other presidents except Nixon would poo-poo what he's doing. Except Nixon, the other paranoid President - who would completely agree with what Obama is doing.

Not a very good predecessor, huh?

Quoting nanaofsix531:

With all the conspiracies going around about him I would be afraid to be in the same room with them if I was him.He has every right to be paranoid.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Apparently not in all cases when he's eating with Congressmen and women and Senators.

Places where he's the only government official, sure. GWB did that too when he went overseas.

But these are his fellow elected officials in Washington, DC. Is he afraid Senate Republicans will poison him???! Conspiracy theories.

If this were a usual incident, it would not have made the news. Sounds paranoid to me.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Presidents can't eat anything without having a food taster try it first.And yes I am serious.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL I wouldn't eat anything the GOP served me. Trust not..

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

It's probably prudent to have a taster given some of the rhetoric out there.  I would hope all Presidents would have a taster.

Blueberry pie = health food.  SMH.  My SIL honestly thinks that way.  She will eat a pound of dark chocolate covered raisins in a sitting because dark chocolate has antioxidents and raisins are fruit, therefore, it is healthy.  It's a huge mystery why she weighs over 400 pounds.  Truly.  With all the health food she eats, I just can't figure it out.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Meh. If having a taster is SOP then who cares?

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM

MMMmmmmmm pie!

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It's probably prudent to have a taster given some of the rhetoric out there.  I would hope all Presidents would have a taster.

Blueberry pie = health food.  SMH.  My SIL honestly thinks that way.  She will eat a pound of dark chocolate covered raisins in a sitting because dark chocolate has antioxidents and raisins are fruit, therefore, it is healthy.  It's a huge mystery why she weighs over 400 pounds.  Truly.  With all the health food she eats, I just can't figure it out.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Don't worry, I'll be your taster - and will probably only say things like, "It's too salty."

But that lunch sounds pretty good, don't you think? Only not sure if I would like cold lobster.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Well I don't eat much. Afraid you'd have to taste a few drinks for me tho. Especially if I'm having to dine with Boner and crew.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Don't worry, I'll be your taster - and will probably only say things like, "It's too salty."

But that lunch sounds pretty good, don't you think? Only not sure if I would like cold lobster.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM

So these are all just in his mind?

About 30,400,000 results (0.20 seconds) 

Search Results

1. 10 Biggest Barack Obama Conspiracy Theories Photo Gallery ...

www.trutv.com/conspiracy/government-lies/obama/gallery.html
    You've heard of the Birth Certificate... the Muslim rumor... but have you heard about gay sex? Guns? Hillary in 2012?
  2. The Latest Right-Wing Conspiracy TheoryObama Death Squads ...

www.motherjones.com/.../obama-sending-death-squads-afte...
    Stephanie Mencimer
    Feb 5, 2013 – Or here's another option: The conspiracy theorists and anti-Obama activists warning of impending death squads could have fallen for a pretty ...
  3. Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories - Wikipedia, the free ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_citizenship_conspiracy_theories
    Conspiracy theories about the citizenship of Barack Obamaassert that Barack Obama is not a natural-born citizen of the United States and consequently, under ...
  4. Fox Highlights Poll On Belief In Obama Conspiracy Theories That ...

mediamatters.org/blog/2013/01/18/fox...poll...obama.../192326
    Jan 18, 2013 – Fox News ignored its own role in perpetuatingconspiracy theories about President Obama during a segment about Americans who think ...
  5. News for conspiracy theories about obama

1. The Obama Conspiracy Industry Is Still Going Strong

Business Insider ‎- 1 day ago
      The Obama Conspiracy Industry Is Still Going Strong... that the market for Obama conspiracy theories is still thriving, even in his second term.
    1. 5 nuttiest Obama conspiracy theories of 2012 | Death and Taxes

www.deathandtaxesmag.com/.../5-nuttiest-obama-conspiracy-theories...
      Dec 31, 2012 – Tracking the various Obama conspiracy theories is something like a psychiatrist trying to map the dark contours of the schizophrenic's brain: ...
    2. Obama Skeet Shooting Photo Conspiracy Theories -- Daily ...

nymag.com/.../obama-skeet-shooting-photo-conspiracy-the...
      Andre Tartar
      by Andre Tartar - in 70 Google+ circles -More by Andre Tartar
      Feb 3, 2013 – The Totally Serious Guide to Obama Skeet Shooting Photo Conspiracy Theories [Updated]. By Andre Tartar. Almost immediately after President ...
    3. Rachel Maddow Mocks Every Obama Conspiracy Theory Since the ...

www.politicususa.com/rachel-maddow-mocks-obama-conspiracy-the...
      Feb 5, 2013 – Rachel Maddow subjects the recent spate ofObama conspiracy theories to the mocking that they so richly deserve.
    4. Obama Conspiracy Theories | Fishing for gold coins in a bucket of ...

www.obamaconspiracy.org/
      1 day ago – Awards received by Astrue include: Humanitarian of the Year Award from the Alzheimer's Association; Public Health Leadership Award from ...
    5. The Debunker's Guide to Obama conspiracy theories

www.obamaconspiracy.org/.../the-debunkers-guide-to-obama-conspi...
      A compilation of myths and conspiracy theories about BarackObama and why they aren't true.
    6. Newtown Conspiracy TheoriesObama, Iran, and Other Culprits ...

www.thedailybeast.com/.../newtown-conspiracy-theories-ob...
      Michael Moynihan
      by Michael Moynihan - in 306 Google+ circles -More by Michael Moynihan
      Dec 27, 2012 – Michael Moynihan on the paranoid wing's wild notions about the 'real truth' behind the Sandy Hook massacre.
    Quoting SallyMJ:

Please. The only conspiracies Obama has with Republicans are in his own mind.

If he would just be cordial to them - as all other presidents are with the opposite party - instead of demonizing them, everyone would be happier, work better together, and he wouldn't have to have his food taster for non-existent poisoners who are eating the exact same food he is.

His rudeness and condescension to Republicans get in his own way, make him feel as if Republicans are out to get him, and then he develops these paranoid fears for life and limb with them.

Ridiculous. All other presidents except Nixon would poo-poo what he's doing. Except Nixon, the other paranoid President - who would completely agree with what Obama is doing.

Not a very good predecessor, huh?

Quoting nanaofsix531:

With all the conspiracies going around about him I would be afraid to be in the same room with them if I was him.He has every right to be paranoid.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Apparently not in all cases when he's eating with Congressmen and women and Senators.

Places where he's the only government official, sure. GWB did that too when he went overseas.

But these are his fellow elected officials in Washington, DC. Is he afraid Senate Republicans will poison him???! Conspiracy theories.

If this were a usual incident, it would not have made the news. Sounds paranoid to me.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Presidents can't eat anything without having a food taster try it first.And yes I am serious.

SallyMJ
    by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I guess I don't see books by people outside the Hill as conspiracy theories. Those people have to work with Obama all the time. Or at least they would like to. That meeting with Senate Republicans is apparently the first time in 4 years. Not good.

You do realize that these are all from left-wing websites except one. Which means that leftists are coming up with these. I haven't heard any of this stuff - which I should have, shouldn't I - being a conservative? But no.

It might be easier, to be able to read from a non-biased source. When someone compare authors to someone with Alzheimer's, I stop reading. Hard to read through insults.

The one reasonable source - and not a conspiracy theory - is "The Amateur", a book by New York Times bestselling author and reporter Ed Klein. It's a book based on interviews with the priciples and those who know them. I've read it - There are no conspiracies there. Just nonfiction - who did and said what.  It is what I have found in news stories and the meticulously detailed "The Price of Politics". An overlapping time frame. And he connects the pieces together with a narrative including some opinion.  It is NOT a conspiracy theory book - or I would never have read it.

I like nonfiction books based on interviews. Woodward's "The Price of Politics" is phenomenal. His book is critical about Democrats and Republicans - but actually more so of Republicans. He has so many details there, you get an idea of how the debt ceiling crisis negotiations went - the source of the sequester, etc. Woodward is a liberal and about 67% of his nonfiction books are critical of Republicans, compared to 33% critical of Democrats. So he is twice as likely to like liberals as conservatives. Anyway, it's a really good book, gives you an idea of how political sausage is made in Washington, if you get my point.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

So these are all just in his mind?

About 30,400,000 results (0.20 seconds) 

Search Results

1. 10 Biggest Barack Obama Conspiracy Theories Photo Gallery ...

www.trutv.com/conspiracy/government-lies/obama/gallery.html
      You've heard of the Birth Certificate... the Muslim rumor... but have you heard about gay sex? Guns? Hillary in 2012?
    2. The Latest Right-Wing Conspiracy TheoryObama Death Squads ...

www.motherjones.com/.../obama-sending-death-squads-afte...
      Stephanie Mencimer
      Feb 5, 2013 – Or here's another option: The conspiracy theorists and anti-Obama activists warning of impending death squads could have fallen for a pretty ...
    3. Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories - Wikipedia, the free ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_citizenship_conspiracy_theories
      Conspiracy theories about the citizenship of Barack Obamaassert that Barack Obama is not a natural-born citizen of the United States and consequently, under ...
    4. Fox Highlights Poll On Belief In Obama Conspiracy Theories That ...

mediamatters.org/blog/2013/01/18/fox...poll...obama.../192326
      Jan 18, 2013 – Fox News ignored its own role in perpetuatingconspiracy theories about President Obama during a segment about Americans who think ...
    5. News for conspiracy theories about obama

1. The Obama Conspiracy Industry Is Still Going Strong

Business Insider ‎- 1 day ago
        The Obama Conspiracy Industry Is Still Going Strong... that the market for Obama conspiracy theories is still thriving, even in his second term.
      1. 5 nuttiest Obama conspiracy theories of 2012 | Death and Taxes

www.deathandtaxesmag.com/.../5-nuttiest-obama-conspiracy-theories...
        Dec 31, 2012 – Tracking the various Obama conspiracy theories is something like a psychiatrist trying to map the dark contours of the schizophrenic's brain: ...
      2. Obama Skeet Shooting Photo Conspiracy Theories -- Daily ...

nymag.com/.../obama-skeet-shooting-photo-conspiracy-the...
        Andre Tartar
        by Andre Tartar - in 70 Google+ circles -More by Andre Tartar
        Feb 3, 2013 – The Totally Serious Guide to Obama Skeet Shooting Photo Conspiracy Theories [Updated]. By Andre Tartar. Almost immediately after President ...
      3. Rachel Maddow Mocks Every Obama Conspiracy Theory Since the ...

www.politicususa.com/rachel-maddow-mocks-obama-conspiracy-the...
        Feb 5, 2013 – Rachel Maddow subjects the recent spate ofObama conspiracy theories to the mocking that they so richly deserve.
      4. Obama Conspiracy Theories | Fishing for gold coins in a bucket of ...

www.obamaconspiracy.org/
        1 day ago – Awards received by Astrue include: Humanitarian of the Year Award from the Alzheimer's Association; Public Health Leadership Award from ...
      5. The Debunker's Guide to Obama conspiracy theories

www.obamaconspiracy.org/.../the-debunkers-guide-to-obama-conspi...
        A compilation of myths and conspiracy theories about BarackObama and why they aren't true.
      6. Newtown Conspiracy TheoriesObama, Iran, and Other Culprits ...

www.thedailybeast.com/.../newtown-conspiracy-theories-ob...
        Michael Moynihan
        by Michael Moynihan - in 306 Google+ circles -More by Michael Moynihan
        Dec 27, 2012 – Michael Moynihan on the paranoid wing's wild notions about the 'real truth' behind the Sandy Hook massacre.
      Quoting SallyMJ:

meggon
      by New Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM
      He'll eat dog meat, though...
      Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
      Add your quick reply below:
      You must be a member to reply to this post.
      Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
      Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
      other members!
      Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN