Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama would not eat lunch with Senate Republicans because he didn’t have a food taster… (Yes, I'm serious)

Posted by   + Show Post

Thursday, March 14, 2013 15:28

Nicholas Ballasy
Senior Video Reporter

WASHINGTON — Following President Obama’s lunch meeting with Senate Republicans on Capitol Hill, Maine Republican Senator Susan Collins described the food served, and said the president was not able to eat since his “taster” was not present.

“University of Maine recipe for healthy lobster salad — I pointed that out to the president in keeping with the first lady’s initiatives, and Fox Family Potato Chips made in Aroostook County where I’m from, and wild blueberry pie full of anti-oxidants, see this was a healthy lunch as well. We did have a little ice cream on the pie too, also made in Maine, Gifford’s Ice Cream. So in all seriousness, this was well received,” Collins told reporters on Thursday after the meeting at the Capitol.

When asked if Obama ate at the lunch meeting, Collins said, “Unfortunately, you know, the president can’t,” said Collins. 

“He looked longingly at it,” Collins continued. “He honestly did look longingly at it, but apparently he has to have essentially a taster, and I pointed out to him that we were all tasters for him, that if the food had been poisoned all of us would have keeled over so, but he did look longingly at it and he remarked that we have far better food than the Democrats do, and I said that was because I was hosting.”

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Woof

puppy

Quoting meggon:

He'll eat dog meat, though...

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM

BUMP!

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Not even if they are eating it too? I hardly think they would poison themselves. 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

LOL I wouldn't eat anything the GOP served me. Trust not..

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM
He should of just had one of his secrect service have a bite of each thing

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Presidents can't eat anything without having a food taster try it first.And yes I am serious.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Subway
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Probably not true, or it was probably a joke. But if I were Obama, I would still be careful, lots of "good old boys" in that party.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM

He's the president.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Apparently not in all cases when he's eating with Congressmen and women and Senators.

Places where he's the only government official, sure. GWB did that too when he went overseas.

But these are his fellow elected officials in Washington, DC. Is he afraid Senate Republicans will poison him???! Conspiracy theories.

If this were a usual incident, it would not have made the news. Sounds paranoid to me.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Presidents can't eat anything without having a food taster try it first.And yes I am serious.

Basherte
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I can see why.

Maybe there is only one that he trusts to taste his food. 

Not all poisons are immediate though, so even a taster might not be good enough to warn the president that the food is poisoned.

There are a lot of them out there that have no taste or smell. And some can be covered up depending on what you put the poison in. I don't know the specifics because I would never ruin food like that. Let alone allow anyone to die that slowly or painfully.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

CafeMom Tickers
jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

From what I've just googled, this is hard to get information on as the secret service just doesn't discuss it.  However, it seems that this may be a long-standing practice.

I found references that indicate that George W, Clinton, and Reagan all had tasters.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Seriously? I guess the "good old boys" weren't eating then. SMH

Quoting Mrs.Subway:

Probably not true, or it was probably a joke. But if I were Obama, I would still be careful, lots of "good old boys" in that party.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Subway
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM
No, I don't take this story serious...... Its silly

Quoting DSamuels:

Seriously? I guess the "good old boys" weren't eating then. SMH

Quoting Mrs.Subway:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)