Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out ** UPDATE Boehner reaffirms his bigotry

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:05 AM
  • 108 Replies

GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

Rob Portman (Charles Dharapak/AP)Rob Portman (Charles Dharapak/AP)A prominent conservative senator said Thursday that he now supports gay marriage.

Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, told reporters fromthe Columbus Dispatch and other Ohio newspapers that his change of heart on the hot-button issue came two years after his son, Will, told him and his wife that he is gay.

"It allowed me to think of this issue from a new perspective, and that's of a Dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have—to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years," Portman said.

In an interview with CNN, Portman said his son, then a freshman at Yale University, told him "that he was gay, and that it was not a choice, and that it's just part of who he is, and that he'd been that way for as long as he could remember."

The dramatic announcement comes just a week before the U.S. Supreme Court is to hear oral arguments on the Defense of Marriage Act, which bars federal recognition of same-sex marriage, a measure Portman co-sponsored as a member of the House in 1996.

Portman was on the short list to be Mitt Romney's running mate last year. He said he informed Romney during the vetting process that he had a gay son, but that the issue was not a deal breaker for Romney.

He also told CNN that he sought guidance from former Vice President Dick Cheney, whose daughter Mary is openly gay.

Portman said Cheney's advice to him was simple: "Follow your heart."

*************************************************************************************

Hours after Sen. Rob Portman, the Ohio Republican, bucked his party and came out in support of gay marriage, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, reaffirmed his position against it in a wide-ranging,exclusive interview with ABC News' Martha Raddatz for "This Week," that will air on Sunday.

Boehner told Raddatz that he could not envision a situation where his views would shift on same-sex marriage - even if one of his children came out as gay.

"Rob's a great friend and a long-time ally. And I appreciate that he's decided to change his views on this," Boehner said. "I believe that marriage is the union of one man and one woman. … It's what I grew up with. It's what I believe. It's what my church teaches me. And I can't imagine that position would ever change."

Portman, who Mitt Romney considered tapping as a running mate in last year's presidential election, changed his position on same-sex marriage after his son came out to him as gay. The Ohio senator is among a small, but growing number of prominent members of the GOP to express support for gay marriage.

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:47 AM
1 mom liked this

My reply in this post is the same as the other post you put up.  Of course you worded it differently.

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I am glad that he loves his son enough to support him.Way to go Dad!

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Lets do a study.  Lets compare the responses you get from this post to the other based on your titles and statements within the post.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Too bad he didn't think gays deserved the same rights until it affected someone in his family

Quoting nanaofsix531:

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:59 AM

You can, since I mean that much to you.

I post with different titles so when I get responses I know they are different threads in different groups...

lol..new name - Hall monitor

However I expressed the same sentiment in both

This pig didn't think gays deserved rights until his son was gay, that is disgusting

Quoting Carpy:

Lets do a study.  Lets compare the responses you get from this post to the other based on your titles and statements within the post.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Many people don't.  Some wake up to it and begin to accept it, which is the response we want, others disown them.  I for one am thankful whenever someone sees the light.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Too bad he didn't think gays deserved the same rights until it affected someone in his family

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I would imagine, that for political gain you would have preferred that he disown him. Putting politics before people.

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:12 AM

That is a shame but he did change and I am afraid gun rights won't change until God forbid some republican congress persons family is involved with a automatic weapon incident.I guess it has to hit home to make a difference.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

If it is an automatic weapon, it is already aagainst the law.  And I have been quite close to a gun incident.  First person on the scene to a 10 yr old neighbor boy with his chest blown all over the house from a shotgun.  I don't blame the gun, I blame the ignorant mother for leaving a loaded shotgun in the house with young children unattended.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

That is a shame but he did change and I am afraid gun rights won't change until God forbid some republican congress persons family is involved with a automatic weapon incident.I guess it has to hit home to make a difference.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:43 AM
I could care less what he does in his personal life

I would prefer he not legislate his bigotry

Quoting Carpy:

I would imagine, that for political gain you would have preferred that he disown him. Putting politics before people.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)