Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

"THE BIBLE" Beats Zombies - I mean Walkers!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

The Bible Beats Out Walking Dead to be Most-Watched Show Sunday Night.

by Natalie Fertig

Mark Burnett and Roma Downey did what The Walking Dead’s entire cast has yet to do after three and a half seasons – they killed the zombies.

Burnett and Downey’s new miniseries, “The Bible,” which premiered Sunday night on the History Channel, raked in a whopping 14.8 million viewers, scorching past Sunday night regulars “The Walking Dead,” “Once Upon a Time,” and “Celebrity Apprentice.”

Over two telecasts on premiere night, “The Bible” averaged 14.8 million viewers, including five million adults ages 18-49 and 5.6 million adults ages 25-54. Zap2it.com reported that no network show made it past 2.0 million in the coveted 18-49 range, while “The Bible” surpassed 5 million.

Leading into the “The Bible” premiere, history.com had more traffic than any day in the history of the website. “The Bible” also was the top-trending topic on twitter, with celebrities and influencers tweeting their own personal tune-in messages.

Stories have been pouring in of many churches across America holding congregational screenings, which means that the actual number of physical viewers could very well be significantly higher. There’s no denying that “The Bible” was a smashing success.

Movieguide® TV sat down and talked with Mark Burnett and Roma Downey in their home a few weeks ago, and came out of the meeting very excited about “The Bible.” Both Burnett and Downey expressed a desire to show the epic scale of the Bible, and the immense love God has for mankind. Above all, they wanted to tell this story to the best of their ability, with the incredible resources God has given them. As Monday morning dawned, there wasn’t any question left about the success of their dream.

Shooting on site in Morocco, the team of “The Bible” created the Red Sea out of arid desert, undertook epic chariot battles, and revisited ancient Egypt. Burnett, a respected TV producer best known for “Survivor” and “Shark Tank,” and Downey, the star of “Touched by an Angel,” brought their years of Hollywood expertise to “The Bible,” and it shows.

For years, Movieguide® has argued that TV viewers and moviegoers want to see faith-based programs and movies.

Last night, Hollywood realized that yes, there IS a market for well-made Christian-based film and television. Christians typically focus on the message of the film, but when that message is combined with a well-executed script, high production values, and a heart-melting score, the outcome can be nothing short of, well, 14.8 million.

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rccmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I missed the first half of the first episode. I find it an intesting take, and that they are moving along at a brisk pace. Yes, there is a market for faith based programming. I remember Touched by an Angel, and even earlier, Highway to Heaven. Both of those series did fairly well as I recall.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this

So one fictional program beat another and that's news?

OK.  :-)

Fullmoon_Goddes
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Very Cool! I miss Highway to Heaven...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been watching. I do have a question...

So they get the commandments from God. Says..Thou shall not kill. Cut to next scene we must kill them all and reclaim the kingdom of God. 

Someone want to explain?

rccmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I caught a rerun of Highway the other day. It brought back memories, and Michael Landon was a good looking angel!

Quoting Fullmoon_Goddes:

rccmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

It is actually thou shall not murder, not kill. It is a subtle, but important difference. The Bible has always allowed justified killing in wars and such. 

Then I can go into the whole evolution of the Bible, and reading it along the lines of telling the story of God and humanity reaching out to each other with the culmination of Jesus reworking God from a vengeful and jealous God to a loving Father.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

So they get the commandments from God. Says..Thou shall not kill. Cut to next scene we must kill them all and reclaim the kingdom of God. 

Someone want to explain?

Fullmoon_Goddes
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, he was!!!!

=)

Quoting rccmom:

I caught a rerun of Highway the other day. It brought back memories, and Michael Landon was a good looking angel!

Quoting Fullmoon_Goddes:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM

But do you see where for me it was like..well there ya go...

If God can part water etc etc to free the slaves then he could have also made the people leave without them going in there and killing them all. 

I don't mean to be debbie downer always on this subject. I want to believe prolly most of any non believer. It just doesn't make any sense any of it.

Quoting rccmom:

It is actually thou shall not murder, not kill. It is a subtle, but important difference. The Bible has always allowed justified killing in wars and such. 

Then I can go into the whole evolution of the Bible, and reading it along the lines of telling the story of God and humanity reaching out to each other with the culmination of Jesus reworking God from a vengeful and jealous God to a loving Father.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Someone want to explain?

rccmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

The Old Testament confuses a lot of believers, including me. I've read different explanations for some of the killing and such that went on. Part of it is that the Bible is also a recording of history, and history was pretty bloody. I tend to read a lot of the OT more as a cautionary tale at points to apply it to modern life. Like when God tells them to kill everything, even the animals, I read it as God wants us to not hold onto anything in our lives that block us from Him.

Yes, it is a stretch, and it avoids the question of why did God do it that way. I'm currently trying to read my way back through the OT and honestly sometimes I don't know what to make of it. Still, more and more I look at it as an evolution of mankind's understanding of God, and learning how to relate. Remember though, a lot of Christians will not agree with my view.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

But do you see where for me it was like..well there ya go...

If God can part water etc etc to free the slaves then he could have also made the people leave without them going in there and killing them all. 

I don't mean to be debbie downer always on this subject. I want to believe prolly most of any non believer. It just doesn't make any sense any of it.

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Someone want to explain?

susan115
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

You should read the article in Washington Post, what a jerk.  I, for one, am glad that the "The Bible" did well.  Great movie, I do with Hollywood would make movies and shows to watch instead of the nonesense they have on now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)