Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Liberals quick to promote white separatist troll as face of CPAC

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 61 Replies

Posted at 10:06 pm on March 15, 2013
Edited by Dan Collins

Liberals finally found a reason to pay close attention to CPAC after an audience member spoke in favor of segregation.  

Outlets like Talking Points Memo moved quickly to make Scott Terry, reportedly a member of the White Student Union at Towsen University in Maryland, the face of CPAC - while at the same time dismissing former Congressman and CPAC superstar Allen West as a “token.” 

The panel was dedicated to minority outreach, but the true minority in the room seemed to be Scott Terry and White Union founder Matthew Heimbach.

David Harsanyi @davidharsanyi
think progress and TPM finallydug up 1 racist schmuck at CPAC. Andrew Sullivan will sleep well tonight.http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/03/15/an-african-american-cpac-can-embrace/ 

TPM reports, “Several people in the audience cheered and applauded Terry’s outburst” questioning Frederick Douglass’ forgiveness of his former slave master" -- but video doesn’t bear out that account, despite being embedded within TPM’s report.

CPAC participant defends slavery at minority outreach panel: It gave "food and shelter" to blacks http://thkpr.gs/ZG41pY

Jason Howerton of The Blaze spoke to Terry and assures readers that Terry is not the face of conservatism, despite what media coverage would like the public to believe.

I talked to Scott Terry who made some outrageous comments at CPAC today... I also talked to his colleague at Towson White Students Union

Contrary to what Think Progress, HuffPost & others are portraying, Scott Terry and his white student union group are NOT conservatives 

Real conservatives are familiar enough with this narrative, unfortunately.

The racist guy said some ridiculously offensive stuff. The audience was appalled and quickly dismissed him and his friends.

Aside from that, a liberal activist named Kim Brown also attended. According to witnesses, she spent the whole time heckling panel/audience.

Audience members were frustrated with her heckling by the end and made that very clear. So what happened next?

Talking Points Memo wrote up a story equating audience being frustrated with Brown and the racist's comments:http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/03/tea-party-event-on-racial-tolerance-turns-to-chaos-as-white-supremacists-arrive.php 

TPM did this on purpose. Their goal was to paint all the people there as racist. Any decent human being should be offended by that.

While that display at CPAC is horrible, it's an audience member. Let's find out more about who it is before condemning the ACU.

In case anyone in the liberal media is interested, K. Carl Smith was the invited presenter and had plenty of interest to say. Anyone?

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Friday
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this

That's out of line. Unfortunately many people seem to favor generalizations and making one or a few people out to represent the whole when that's just not the case. Like equating everyone who supports OWS with the few violent Anarchists that attached themselves to the movement or calling all TeaPartiers racist due to a few chuckleheads.

I hate generalizations.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Par for the course.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Even if it doesn't represent the majority of the people there you have to wonder why they chose CPAC.  Maybe because they felt they had an audience.  

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I guess I'd have to have read those publications in order to see that.

But I don't so I didn't.

I hope the rest of the audience boo'd him.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Ah, I see - read a few other threads and feel a little more caught up now.

Exactly which articles painted this racist as the "face of CPAC"?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM

To make a scene. And that they did. There was outrage, and they were asked to leave.

If they had gone to some liberal conference, it may have gone to physical violence.

They would know that CPAC folks would listen initially, then shut them up, appalled.

Actually, they do not fit in either party.  No one would want to associate with avowed racists.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Even if it doesn't represent the majority of the people there you have to wonder why they chose CPAC.  Maybe because they felt they had an audience.  

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Absolutely they booed.

What publications are you referring to?

But remember the journalist at CPAC who interviewed them after the session, found out they are members of the White Student Union, did some research and came up with their mission statement.

That - along with their statements in the session -  are plenty enough to determine they are racists.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I guess I'd have to have read those publications in order to see that.

But I don't so I didn't.

I hope the rest of the audience boo'd him.

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

The man is an idiot.Enough said.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

As mentioned in the post: liberal ones like Talking Points Memo, Think Progress.

It's all over the blogosphere - so look at other places like HuffPost, Politico, others. You can find all those articles in those websites.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Oh come on.If that had been a liberal conference and someone had said what that man said do you not think breitbart,limbaugh,fox news and all the rest of the conservative media would not have been all over it?You could bet your life on it.

Breitbart

Quoting SallyMJ:

As mentioned in the post: liberal ones like Talking Points Memo, Think Progress.

It's all over the blogosphere - so look at other places like HuffPost, Politico, others. You can find all those articles in those websites.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)