Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Sarah Palin Drinks Big Gulp During CPAC Speech: ‘Shoot, It’s Just Pop!’

Pema_Jampa
Yesterday at 7:01 PM
DAFT PUNK MEDLEY - Jason Yang x John Schroeder

Daft Punk Medley - Get Lucky, Give Life Back to Music, Aerodynamic, Digital Love Jason Yang and John Schroeder feat. Cam Tyler SUBSCRIBE! http://full.sc/1cSy...

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 22 Replies

Sarah Palin Drinks Big Gulp During CPAC Speech: ‘Shoot, It’s Just Pop!’

During a dynamic and lively speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) on Saturday, Sarah Palin poked fun at New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s campaign to reduce obesity by limiting the availability of large sugary drinks.

Halfway through her speech, while describing exchanging guns with her husband Todd for Christmas, the former Alaska governor pulled out a Big Gulp from behind the podium, smirked, took several sips, and remarked, “Oh Bloomberg is not around, our Big Gulp is safe! We’re cool. Shoot, it’s just pop!” The crowd erupted in applause. Watch it:

The gag was funny, but the Big Gulp is more than just pop — increasing serving sizes are one of the causes of the nation’s obesity epidemic.

As portion sizes have spiraled out of control, soft drinks sizes have seen one of the largest increases, ballooning by over 50 percent since the mid-1970s, just as rates of obesity nearly tripled. The average American child now consumes approximately 270 calories from soft drinks each day and nationally U.S. children drink about 7 trillion calories from soda each year.

The obesity epidemic now accounts for 21 percent of national health care spending — costing the nation more than $160 billion every year — a figure that will continue to rise since 42 percent of Americans are projected to be obese by 2030.

And while Bloomberg’s ban won’t single-handedly slim down the nation, public health advocates believe that it will discourage people from consuming “excess quantities of sugar-sweetened beverages” and change “social norms and unhealthy behaviors.” Palin may not need that kind of persuasion — after finishing her speech, she left her Big Gulp behind.

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM

If nothing else NY got the country thinking about just how bad soda is for their kids.But I still think it is a personal choice and should not be regulated by state or city governance.And people need to know we all pay higher insurance premiums because of the obesity it causes.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Big govt,stay outta my soda cup!

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM
3 moms liked this

Ah, get over it.  Just because someone has a 44 oz. drink doesn't mean he or she will drink it in 15 minutes.  Heck, my 44 oz. will last me all day, so go mind your own pop intake.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM
4 moms liked this

That was a cute little stunt, and made a good point. I really don't think anyone needs to tell Sarah Palin how to eat and work out. She looks pretty darn good.

Nanny Bloomberg said on Letterman that his purpose is to "educate people about healthy choices, and to let them make their own decisions."

Only he's not doing that - especially the "let them make their own decisions" part.

The next thing you know he will make robocalls to New Yorkers waking them up and telling them what time to go to bed. It will be like having Big Brother with you every moment of every day.

But Bloomberg admitted he likes Cheese Nips ("Don't take them away! That's the one exception."). So I guess we should take the NYPD to his house, confiscate all of his Cheese Nips, and make him wear a GPS anklet that beeps loudly around Cheese Nips. After all, they have lots of salt and lots of carbs. No good for you, Nanny Bloomberg!

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Bloomberg is the ultimate control freak.  He already had laws passed banning salt on the tables in restaurants (you have to ask for it) and no smoking anywhere outside, let alone inside of buildings.  Is having to ask for salt in a restaurant really going to cut down on your salt intake?  No....Besides, like the soda thing, it's none of his business to police people's eating and drinking habits.  Oh, and let's not forget his making it nearly impossible for mothers to bottle feed their newborn babies in a hospital.  As for smoking outside,  there is no way someone walking in a park, having a cigarette is going to pollute someone else's lungs.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Awesome speech!!!  She says it like it is.  This woman has more integrity and balls than Obama and his administration.

DawnPratt23
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM
I laugh at people blaming food, that is a small part of it. People are lazy, and do far less than 30 yrs ago. What now regulate activity? Make those draining the system pay for their own choices
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Imagine that, something I agree with her on. No denying how bad soda is for us but it ain't the govts place. I'm not for that nanny crap. Education, yes...bans, no.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

toomanypoodles
by Poodles on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Quoting gsprofval:

Ah, get over it.  Just because someone has a 44 oz. drink doesn't mean he or she will drink it in 15 minutes.  Heck, my 44 oz. will last me all day, so go mind your own pop intake.

My 44 ouncer lasts me all day too.  But mine is diet, not sugar laden.  Just chemicals that are suppose to kill me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)