Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

North Carolina Methodist Church Stops Straight Marriages Until Same-Sex Marriage Becomes Legal

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 88 Replies

North Carolina Methodist Church Stops Straight Marriages Until Same-Sex Marriage Becomes Legal

A United Methodist church in Winston-Salem, N.C., has vowed to stop performing weddings until same-sex marriage is made legal. 

Last week, the Green Street United Methodist Church announced its decision to stop performing heterosexual marriages, the Winston-Salem Journal reports. Instead, the church's leadership council is asking pastors to perform blessings. 

The church posted a public statement on its website that read, in part: 

On the matter of same-sex marriage, Green Street UMC sees injustice in the legal position of state government and the theological position of our denomination. North Carolina prohibits same-sex marriage and all the rights and privileges marriage brings. The Leadership Council has asked that their ministers join others who refuse to sign any State marriage licenses until this right is granted to same-sex couples. 

Video here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/north-carolina-methodist-church-stops-straight-marriages_n_2901075.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PamR
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM

As a Methodist, I like it.

ashellbell
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
That just helps me restore faith in people. I love church patrons who actually behave in a way Jesus would have. What great Christians.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
This reminds me of when my dd wanted to start going to church (though I'm an atheist I supported this) but I didn't want to send her to one that would teach her to cherry pick hate. Again, we're in Oklahoma. We ended up f visiting 8. The 8th one the topic of gay marriage came up. The pastor (to my shock) said, 'I think my gay brothers and sisters should be able to marry. We're all sinners here. Mine, no greater than theirs. If they allow this sinner to marry, I say we let the rest of the sinners. I don't want to face Jesus and tell him I didn't love my gay brethren the same way I loved my straight brethren. I couldn't live with that shame." My dd was baptized there 3 weeks ago. I love it when people walk the walk with the Jesus they say to know.
mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Not surprising.

Some Methodist churches have lead the way  in apostasy of all the Protestant Churches.

People truly concerned with what God and the Bible have to say about the issue wouldn't be found in such a church.

So what.

Not a church. A club.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Nice :)
mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Quoting ashellbell:

This reminds me of when my dd wanted to start going to church (though I'm an atheist I supported this) but I didn't want to send her to one that would teach her to cherry pick hate. Again, we're in Oklahoma. We ended up f visiting 8. The 8th one the topic of gay marriage came up. The pastor (to my shock) said, 'I think my gay brothers and sisters should be able to marry. We're all sinners here. Mine, no greater than theirs. If they allow this sinner to marry, I say we let the rest of the sinners. I don't want to face Jesus and tell him I didn't love my gay brethren the same way I loved my straight brethren. I couldn't live with that shame." My dd was baptized there 3 weeks ago. I love it when people walk the walk with the Jesus they say to know.

Simply patently absurd.

Mind bogglingly silly.

ashellbell
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Everything you say comes off that way...you don't need to tell me beforehand...but thanks for throwing it out there.

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Quoting ashellbell:

Simply patently absurd.

Mind bogglingly silly.

Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM
4 moms liked this

If you don't follow the doctrine of your chosen religion you're not really a member now are you?  If an entire parish chooses to denounce their religious doctrine, they're not really a church of that religion are they?

ashellbell
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Who cares? I'll take love over hate any day. This church understood what Jesus meant when he said love.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

If you don't follow the doctrine of your chosen religion you're not really a member now are you?  If an entire parish chooses to denounce their religious doctrine, they're not really a church of that religion are they?

Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM
3 moms liked this

I would imagine many church members and the church administration do care as it goes against their church doctrine and their doctrine should not have to be changed to suit a minority.  The church's administration should simply disband this congregation, relocate the member's that are interested in still being compliant members and let the others form their own religion or church.

Quoting ashellbell:

Who cares? I'll take love over hate any day. This church understood what Jesus meant when he said love.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)