Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

SEX

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:07 AM
  • 3 Replies

We educate children about driving under the influence, they take classes, and are required to pass written exam and a live driving exam, but how much do kids really know about sex?  It's not enough to know how a sperm and egg join, or how to use a condom, or even how to know when it's really wanted. Perhaps one of the biggest consequences of the sex liberation movement is that it makes it so easy to minimize sex.   I was fortunate to have a mom who spoke about sex openly while also conveying the awe of sex as a powerful, potentially beautiful, experience.

From the point of view of the Public Good, how does sex affect people?  I'll just leave that as an open-ended question, because there are too many answers to count.  Sex affects individuals in a myriad of negative and positive ways, and it also impacts society as a whole, obviously, it CREATES society.

Do you think we as a society have lost something through the Sex Revolution?  Has it hurt or helped, or both?  What do you think your role is, as a mother, in creating good attitudes about sex?  What should society do, collectively, to help shape good attitudes about sex and also healthier consequences from sex?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:20 AM

IMO, the Sexual Liberation movement brought balance to the cultural attitudes of sex, but in many ways it also carried some things too far.  For people like my mom, sex is something we can talk about today, while it was completely a taboo subject when she was growing up.

As a public value, sex should be thought of as powerful, important, and life-changing.  From the general persepctive, attitudes and behaviors regarding sex are no less impactful than attitudes and behaviors about guns.

IMO this picture conveys some of that power we have within us, which we exercise with sex.  It affects my personal world, your personal world, and the world we all share together.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel that as a society sex isn't as taboo a topic as it used to be.

A benefit of the "revolution" would be imparting of information, which knowledge is power. I feel that teens especially because of their ages believe they're impervious to the negatives of sex. (STD's, pregnancy). Also many teens are engaging in sexual behavior when they're too young to understand the emotional consequences. Which can create a myriad of other issues, even mental problems (depression, suicide).

14yo's don't understand that whom they think is the  "love of their life" more than likely isn't, the "ONE". Break ups can be devistating to the psyche of a 12,13,14, even 15, 16 yr olds, boys and girls alike.

I think another thing that's been lost with regard to sex is the intimacy of it. "Friends with benefits" "f**k buddies", whatever the lastest term is for it.

survivorinohio
by Rene on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Good post!

I ll be back.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN