Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CBS Silent as Viewers Slam 'Amazing Race' [in Vietnam] For Airing Pro-Communist Song Memorization and Using B-52 Wreckage as Prop

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:03 AM
  • 23 Replies

CBS has no comment regarding viewer outrage over an installment of The Amazing Race featuring a B-52 bomber shot down during the Vietnam War as a prop, and a pro-Communist tune sung to the show's contestants.

Sunday's episode of the Emmy-winning, globe-hopping reality show had contestants maneuvering around the B-52 wreckage as part of the Vietnam-based contest at hand.

The show also featured children singing the glories of Communism in front of the Amazing Race participants, including the following lyrics:

“Vietnam Communist party is glorious . . .  growing more beautiful with time. Follow the Party’s step. Be loyal. Be pure.”

American Legion National Commander James E. Koutz fired off an angry letter to the network regarding the episode, but so far CBS hasn't responded to it or the outrage at large.

Bob Beckel, a LIBERAL/PROGRESSIVE panelist on Fox News' The Five, slammed CBS for their programming blunder.

Bob also has contacted CBS for the past three days with no response. He says if the network doesn't apologize to Vietnam vets, that its name means "Commie  Bast*rd Sympathizers."

#cbsapologize

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:50 AM
3 moms liked this

Beckel is pretty pissed.  I watched him go off on that.  I don't agree with him on a lot of things, but he has impressed me on occasion.

mommyxdos
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree. He definitely had a right to say what he said. Its a disgrace for CBS to give publicity to that monument.

Quoting Carpy:

Beckel is pretty pissed.  I watched him go off on that.  I don't agree with him on a lot of things, but he has impressed me on occasion.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I was channel surfing last night and saw Beckel on Fox news Channel (with Greta) - I thought my eyes were deceiving me!! So I stopped and listened to him. He is angry as are many other politicians and commentators, I understand and both my father and husband served in Vietnam - hearing about this was very disturbing to me. Bob promised he will not be quiet and I don't think he will!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I hadn't seen the clip from The Five. Yep, Bob said it well and summed up the feelings of many I am sure. I hope everyone stays on their case!

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I was channel surfing last night and saw Beckel on Fox news Channel (with Greta) - I thought my eyes were deceiving me!! So I stopped and listened to him. He is angry as are many other politicians and commentators, I understand and both my father and husband served in Vietnam - hearing about this was very disturbing to me. Bob promised he will not be quiet and I don't think he will!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I just love the Five! Becker reminded me of Pat Caudell when he went off on the administration over Benghazi. Maybe there is hope yet.

As for CBS? I pretty much only watch one or two shows on network TV, they are on ABC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

As I watched the episode of The Amazing Race that night I thought to myself "What the hell......!"  I'm glad to hear that other people had a negative reaction to the episode.  As for the contestants on the show, I highly doubt they knew what was being sung b/c the song was sung in Vietnamese.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM

One female contestant said they sounded like One Direction. It was a different style.

Glad you caught it live. I didn't see it till The Five. Greg Gutfeld told the story in a sad, ironical way. And then Bob got very articulately and righteously indignantly angry for all of us.

Quoting rocketracer:

As I watched the episode of The Amazing Race that night I thought to myself "What the hell......!"  I'm glad to hear that other people had a negative reaction to the episode.  As for the contestants on the show, I highly doubt they knew what was being sung b/c the song was sung in Vietnamese.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Ironical isn't a word.

Quoting SallyMJ:

One female contestant said they sounded like One Direction. It was a different style.

Glad you caught it live. I didn't see it till The Five. Greg Gutfeld told the story in a sad, ironical way. And then Bob got very articulately and righteously indignantly angry for all of us.

Quoting rocketracer:

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Listening to the song isn't offensive, that's their way their thing ...

As for using the bomber as a prop, I didnt see the episode so I don't know the context.

If it was really used in that manner, at the very least its disrespectful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM

If interested in watching the episode, you can go to www.cbs.com, click on WATCH, select Amazing Race and select the episode.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)