Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

War on Easter outrages Fox News: ‘I don’t remember a bunny in the Bible story’

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 30 Replies

War on Easter outrages Fox News: ‘I don’t remember a bunny in the Bible story’

By David Edwards
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:43 EDT
Fox News host Gretchen Carlson

The outraged hosts of Fox News’ morning show on Wednesday said that public schools should just “take the religion as it is, celebrate it and move on” after one Alabama school canceled all Easter-themed events.

Last week, WHNT reported that the principal of Heritage Elementary School in Madison had instructed teachers not to have events linked to Christianity because one classroom could represent as many as six different religions.

Fox News host Gretchen Carlson on Wednesday argued that schools should be able to have the Easter Bunny and Easter eggs because “it doesn’t have anything really to do with Easter.”

“Some people say the bunny comes from paganism or is a symbol of fertility or something like that,” she explained. “Have we just gotten so deep into this political correctness that we now just can’t take the religion as it is, celebrate it and move on?”

“What better way to celebrate Christ’s resurrection than to hide eggs in your living room?” co-host Brian Kilmeade agreed.

“I don’t remember a bunny in the Bible story,” co-host Steve Doocy chimed in. “I feel sorry for those kids though they can’t say East… the e-word. Well, what if the teacher wants to talk about that big storm that’s moving up. You know, the [nor'easter]?”

“What about Easter Island?” Carlson wondered. “If they study that in geography.”

In an email, a viewer named Carol told the Fox & Friends hosts that she didn’t understand why the Easter Bunny and Easter eggs were offensive because the words “Easter” and “bunny” do not appear in the Bible.

“Ah ha!” Kilmeade exclaimed. “So the Christians’ nonsensical use of rabbits clears it for being used, using the rabbit!”

“This is how it becomes so ridiculous,” Carlson conluded. “Let’s just call it Easter and move on. Next week, you don’t have to worry about it.”

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:01 PM

The article actually is missing a huge amount of the discussion, and thus the main point- which is being able to use the word "Easter" in society without being ostracized.

Example: Easter basket, Easter egg, Easter bunny, Happy Easter  - instead of Spring basket, Spring Equinox egg, just plain Bunny, and Happy _______.

A number of schools have forbidden children from using the name "Easter". Check out the news. Another one today.

Similar to how society discourages using the word "Christmas" as in "Merry Christmas". 

joey125
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Schools have forbidden the word Easter I don't understand this at all , it s silly.   This argument is old and irrelevant , Happy Easter, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays all should be acceptable, and why on earth would this happen in a school in of all places Alabama  get real. 

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Much ado about nothing

Why are Christians relying on the schools to entertain their children with fairytales?

If you want them to celebrate Easter...do it. At home

School is for learning, not magic bunny's and chocolate eggs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
No holiday should be forbidden from being spoken and no one religion should be celebrated over all others.

It's one thing to promote only Christianity at the expense of everyone else, but there's no harm in saying the names of holidays if all holidays are allowed to be mentioned
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Leave school for learning not church.  The sad part is they want to cry about Oh the war on religion but not cry about how our kids are slipping further and further into educational nothingness.  How about making a news report on that instead of wasting time on fairytales:/ smdh

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

denise3680
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting -Celestial-:

thanks for the info.  This should go over like a fart in church with some:)  Let the games begin.  Some can't handle a truth.

AuntieL333
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Here they go again. Fox News, or as I call them Faux News, just isn't happy unless they are touting a war on something or other. It concerns me that so many L.I.V.s (low information voters) treat everything that comes out of those talking heads as though it was gospel from the lips of God. They question nothing and seem to be unable to recognize absurdity when it smacks them in the face.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, it did leave a lot out.  I watched it.  Screw the damn spring egg.  It is an Easter egg.  Don't like it?  Don't celebrate Easter.

Quoting SallyMJ:

The article actually is missing a huge amount of the discussion, and thus the main point- which is being able to use the word "Easter" in society without being ostracized.

Example: Easter basket, Easter egg, Easter bunny, Happy Easter  - instead of Spring basket, Spring Equinox egg, just plain Bunny, and Happy _______.

A number of schools have forbidden children from using the name "Easter". Check out the news. Another one today.

Similar to how society discourages using the word "Christmas" as in "Merry Christmas". 

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Well, aren't you just little miss original.

Quoting AuntieL333:

Here they go again. Fox News, or as I call them Faux News, just isn't happy unless they are touting a war on something or other. It concerns me that so many L.I.V.s (low information voters) treat everything that comes out of those talking heads as though it was gospel from the lips of God. They question nothing and seem to be unable to recognize absurdity when it smacks them in the face.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)