Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

War on Easter outrages Fox News: ‘I don’t remember a bunny in the Bible story’

Posted by   + Show Post

War on Easter outrages Fox News: ‘I don’t remember a bunny in the Bible story’

By David Edwards
Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:43 EDT
Fox News host Gretchen Carlson

The outraged hosts of Fox News’ morning show on Wednesday said that public schools should just “take the religion as it is, celebrate it and move on” after one Alabama school canceled all Easter-themed events.

Last week, WHNT reported that the principal of Heritage Elementary School in Madison had instructed teachers not to have events linked to Christianity because one classroom could represent as many as six different religions.

Fox News host Gretchen Carlson on Wednesday argued that schools should be able to have the Easter Bunny and Easter eggs because “it doesn’t have anything really to do with Easter.”

“Some people say the bunny comes from paganism or is a symbol of fertility or something like that,” she explained. “Have we just gotten so deep into this political correctness that we now just can’t take the religion as it is, celebrate it and move on?”

“What better way to celebrate Christ’s resurrection than to hide eggs in your living room?” co-host Brian Kilmeade agreed.

“I don’t remember a bunny in the Bible story,” co-host Steve Doocy chimed in. “I feel sorry for those kids though they can’t say East… the e-word. Well, what if the teacher wants to talk about that big storm that’s moving up. You know, the [nor'easter]?”

“What about Easter Island?” Carlson wondered. “If they study that in geography.”

In an email, a viewer named Carol told the Fox & Friends hosts that she didn’t understand why the Easter Bunny and Easter eggs were offensive because the words “Easter” and “bunny” do not appear in the Bible.

“Ah ha!” Kilmeade exclaimed. “So the Christians’ nonsensical use of rabbits clears it for being used, using the rabbit!”

“This is how it becomes so ridiculous,” Carlson conluded. “Let’s just call it Easter and move on. Next week, you don’t have to worry about it.”

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM
We celebrate Resurrection Day, and have rabbit for dinner.

That's putting it in context. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
randomosityblog
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

And this is why I don't watch Fox news.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Thank you for clearing that up for me. Telling someone the can't speak of a holiday is censorship.

Quoting motherslove82:

Actually, they are religious based. They just aren't Christian based. I don't think they should be able to forbid kids from talking about a holiday. I can understand not having a classroom celebration, or telling the teachers not to mention religious holidays.

Quoting 143myboys9496: What's wrong with saying "Easter"?? Technically the Christian observance of "Easter" is Jesus' rising from the dead.

The bunny, eggs and chocolate aren't religious based, so what's the BFD?

Quoting stacymomof2:

Schools have forbidden children from using the word Easter?  Bullshit.

Quoting SallyMJ:

The article actually is missing a huge amount of the discussion, and thus the main point- which is being able to use the word "Easter" in society without being ostracized.

Example: Easter basket, Easter egg, Easter bunny, Happy Easter  - instead of Spring basket, Spring Equinox egg, just plain Bunny, and Happy _______.

A number of schools have forbidden children from using the name "Easter". Check out the news. Another one today.

Similar to how society discourages using the word "Christmas" as in "Merry Christmas". 

TAG_ur_it
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

those people are goddamn morons.  smh.  why are they even allowed on tv?

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Someone doesn't know their history. Easter is not about Jesus, it is about fertility. Always has been, regardless of the Catholic church's bastardization of it.
nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM

We celebrate all the Christian holidays because we are Christian.School is for reading,writing and arithmetic not celebrating any religious holiday.If that is what parents want then they should be sending their kid's to parochial schools.

motherslove82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Teachers have a different role. There are lots if things they can't say. They can't talk about their sex lives or use racial slurs. Really any work place has a right to (yes) censor what their employees talk about and even wear. Do you want the teacher running around in a miniskirt? Do you want her telling the kids the real store of Easter and encouraging them to worship a pagan Goddess? There are reasons for separation of church and state. The idea is that no one is forcing her to work there. If she doesn't like it, she can find another job.

Quoting 143myboys9496:Thank you for clearing that up for me. Telling someone the can't speak of a holiday is censorship.

Quoting motherslove82:Actually, they are religious based. They just aren't Christian based. I don't think they should be able to forbid kids from talking about a holiday. I can understand not having a classroom celebration, or telling the teachers not to mention religious holidays.

Quoting 143myboys9496: What's wrong with saying "Easter"?? Technically the Christian observance of "Easter" is Jesus' rising from the dead.
Quoting stacymomof2:
Quoting SallyMJ:
The article actually is missing a huge amount of the discussion, and thus the main point- which is being able to use the word "Easter" in society without being ostracized.
Example: Easter basket, Easter egg, Easter bunny, Happy Easter  - instead of Spring basket, Spring Equinox egg, just plain Bunny, and Happy _______.
A number of schools have forbidden children from using the name "Easter". Check out the news. Another one today.
Similar to how society discourages using the word "Christmas" as in "Merry Christmas". 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM

That IS reality for many kids.

Your kids' experience in public school? is also not right.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Meanwhile, in reality, my kids came home with pictures of crosses that they'd colored for their easter drawings.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Ugh. Some people seem to think that they are oppressed or 'at war' because Christianity isn't the main and only religion acknowledged in this country. Bob forbid non-Christians come out of the closet and expect acknowledgement and equal treatment.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:16 AM
I must have had a brain burp, when I read your reply I took that you were saying the kids couldn't talk about religious holidays.
You're right, it's a code of conduct with regard to the teachers.

Quoting motherslove82:

Teachers have a different role. There are lots if things they can't say. They can't talk about their sex lives or use racial slurs. Really any work place has a right to (yes) censor what their employees talk about and even wear. Do you want the teacher running around in a miniskirt? Do you want her telling the kids the real store of Easter and encouraging them to worship a pagan Goddess? There are reasons for separation of church and state. The idea is that no one is forcing her to work there. If she doesn't like it, she can find another job.

Quoting 143myboys9496:Thank you for clearing that up for me. Telling someone the can't speak of a holiday is censorship.

Quoting motherslove82:Actually, they are religious based. They just aren't Christian based. I don't think they should be able to forbid kids from talking about a holiday. I can understand not having a classroom celebration, or telling the teachers not to mention religious holidays.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)