Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

So sad that some people can't be "friends" just because...

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 64 Replies

My cousin has deleted numerous people from her Facebook friends list due to their changing their profile pics to the red flag with the equal sign. Obviously, everyone is not going to agree on this subject - but does that mean that you can no longer be friends?

Not only is she deleting them, but she is also posting how many people she has deleted:

"Down 9. 2 very close, 1 from school, 6 family."

I know it's not a big deal if someone decides to delete someone, and definitely none of my business if she wants to delete people because of differing opinions, but really? What is the world coming to when people can't just agree to disagree?

(Sidenote: I was not one of the six family deleted. She deleted me a few months ago for my beliefs on a different subject entirely.)

Question: Do you delete "friends" from Facebook for differing opinions? Should you?

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
susan115
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I was deleted and told not give my political likes(republican), because it offended my relatives. I was deleted by several, I don't care.  What is the meaning of the flag, I honestly don't know.

jean_marie1987
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Offending people is no reason to delete them. It's sad that relatives even feel the need to do so... I don't care to an extent, except for the fact that she's my cousin, and I love her no matter what she believes.

The flag stands for marriage equality. There's a counter-flag going around that is green with a division sign.

Quoting susan115:

I was deleted and told not give my political likes(republican), because it offended my relatives. I was deleted by several, I don't care.  What is the meaning of the flag, I honestly don't know.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM

No I don't - but I have been deleted.  By my cousin because I believe in freedom of speech and she does not. Seriously.  

Oh, one other.... My sister-in-law deleted me because my brother is an asshole and I told him so.  He decided he no longer wants to be part of our family.  He told my Mom he wished she had died instead of our Dad.  So he and I had words.  Nothing online, all in person.  But SIL said she disagrees that her husband is an asshole, so she deleted, and blocked me.  Again, nothing was said online, but she thought by doing that she would hurt me.  Whatever!  I dont place too many feelings on social media - IMO it isn't the place.  

I have only ever deleted one person - a guy I went to HS with who started being really creepy.  

susan115
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Oh! I see, I hope she realizes she may have few friends left over time.  That should be a personal matter.  Good luck with her.

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Offending people is no reason to delete them. It's sad that relatives even feel the need to do so... I don't care to an extent, except for the fact that she's my cousin, and I love her no matter what she believes.

The flag stands for marriage equality. There's a counter-flag going around that is green with a division sign.

Quoting susan115:

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM
7 moms liked this

I don't delete people from Facebook for differing opinions.

I do delete people from Facebook if they are offensive.

If I had the "equal sign" as my profile pic and someone deleted me because of it, I would consider it a favor, as I would not want to be friends with someone who would do that.

jean_marie1987
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM

The last two are "valid" reasons, IMO... But political/moral/whatever beliefs differing is never a valid reason. How will people grow if their opinions aren't questioned? It's great to have opinions, but if you can't back it up and validate it, then what is it really worth. Some people build on their opinions just by having them questioned or even disagreed with. You can't learn to stand for what you believe in if you "delete" everyone that disagrees with you. Then you're only surrounding yourself with people who believe the same as you or who just don't stand up for what they believe in -- what happens in the real world?

Why doesn't she believe in freedom of speech... That's an odd thing to not believe in...

Quoting Analeigh2012:

No I don't - but I have been deleted.  By my cousin because I believe in freedom of speech and she does not. Seriously.  

Oh, one other.... My sister-in-law deleted me because my brother is an asshole and I told him so.  He decided he no longer wants to be part of our family.  He told my Mom he wished she had died instead of our Dad.  So he and I had words.  Nothing online, all in person.  But SIL said she disagrees that her husband is an asshole, so she deleted, and blocked me.  Again, nothing was said online, but she thought by doing that she would hurt me.  Whatever!  I dont place too many feelings on social media - IMO it isn't the place.  

I have only ever deleted one person - a guy I went to HS with who started being really creepy.  

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't be friends with anyone that wasn't bright enough to share my opinions in the first place.

jean_marie1987
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quoting romalove:

I don't delete people from Facebook for differing opinions.

I do delete people from Facebook if they are offensive.

If I had the "equal sign" as my profile pic and someone deleted me because of it, I would consider it a favor, as I would not want to be friends with someone who would do that. I'm sure that's how everyone feels who got deleted from hers. It gets them away from her posts which are either strongly Christian or completely full of complaints...

jean_marie1987
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM

It should be a personal matter, but oh well... She's supposed to be moving in with our grandmother soon, which will mean that she'll have to be around some of the people that she "deleted"... Should be fun! lol

Quoting susan115:

Oh! I see, I hope she realizes she may have few friends left over time.  That should be a personal matter.  Good luck with her.

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Quoting susan115:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

One of my brothers told us that he and his family would NOT  attend our Thanksgiving family reunion if Romney won.

The rest of us would come regardless of who won. But my bro was very condescending to us for Romney losing. ???

So if Obama loses, my bro pouts and doesn't come to the reunion. If he does, he treats the family like crap.

Makes a whole lot of sense to me.... in some other galaxy far, far away.

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Quoting susan115:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN