Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Unbelievable the amound of ammo he had...What was his mom thinking?????

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03/28/newtown-probe-1-4k-ammo-rounds-in-lanza-home/comment-page-2/

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (271-276):
lancet98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I think I now understand what you meant.

No.  People don't mentally 'snap' in that way.  

Drugs and alcohol have a very strong association with extreme violence, but even there, the user often has a long history of increasingly violent behavior while drunk or high.

The sick person has been deteriorating for months or even years (as in the case of Holmes, Lanza, Loughner, etc).   FINALLY, the person has a really severe episode when their disease reaches a disastrous level.  Psychiatrists call it the 'Trail of Breadcrumbs' - in other words, there are indications for months that the person is becoming increasingly ill.

Quite often, when that happens, they attack the person they have spent the most time around or happens to simply be there that day - often it is the person they most love, in fact, that gets 'knitted' into the delusion (or just happens to be around that day).    

People who could have stopped the person, have a vested interest in insisting it was 'out of the blue'.   For one they don't want to be criminally held liable, but for another they can't live with the consequences, and insisting it was 'out of the blue' is their way of denial of their role.   Often they will say, 'well, SURE, he had a little mental trouble, but we never dreamed he'd do anything like this'.

This is usually a matter of education - people don't realize what the symptoms of mental illness are.   They think the person is just 'being lazy' or 'stubborn' or 'taking drugs'.   They honestly don't realize how severe the illness is becoming.

Often people mistake withdrawal for 'shyness'.   Many kids are shy and it is a very normal kind of shyness.   Just is how they are.   Withdrawal is different from shyness.   Withdrawal happens because the person is starting to experience symptoms that terrify him and he can't explain.   Many people won't tell anyone when this happens.  They may be developing paranoia or their symptoms may worsen when they try to talk to anyone.   It takes some education to spot withdrawal and differentiate it from shyness.

Make no mistake - it is VERY difficult these days, to get a mentally ill adult to accept treatment if they don't want it.   This can ALSO be a part of these mass shootings.   I have an uncomfirmed hunch that the Aurora shooter's parents knew he was very ill, and that he refused whatever efforts they attempted, to get him help. 

Dozens of people right here on CM have experienced growing up with an out of control, mentally ill parent who refused treatment, often for DECADES.   This isn't a new problem, but adults refusing treatment they desperately need, is worse mostly due to county mental health care being an 'unfunded mandate'.

Quoting popomill:

That's exactly what I got from it. I was just saying that I've never heard anyone say that's what's behind the blaming of video games a such. Usually I just hear that it's a "normal" person that "snapped" from playing too many video games. I never really knew there was a whole mental disorder behind it all.

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

The tragedy is that with a few months of treatment,  these tragedies would be avoided.   Some people won't be able to continue taking medication on their own.   Slow release medication can be given monthly by a nurse, in that case, and the person can stay in the community safely.

Mentally disturbed shooters are not psychopaths.   They aren't 'showing off' and they aren't 'looking for fame'.

They have irrational beliefs and an inability to control their behavior, due to an illness of the brain.  

They may believe that they will save the universe from destruction, or that the person they are killing was the devil and they will rid the world of some scourge.  They may think some prominent celebrity is killing people with gamma rays or that someone is plotting to kill God, or any number of things.

Usually, it is one person who is a victim.   A social worker.   A mom.   A doctor.   A nurse.   A brother.   The media doesn't care; the public doesn't care, but something like Sandy Hook, suddenly, people care.   And start saying the cause is video games, industrialization, eating potato chips, feminism, a lack of reading the Bible, or some oher nonsense.  

Drives me to distraction.  

Thousands more people are killed annually by unmedicated mentally ill relatives or friends, but no one seems to notice or care.

The REAL cause is that people aren't getting treated for mental illness.

One person I helped almost killed his son.   he took him up on the roof of his apartment and was going to take his son in his arms, kiss him goodbye and jump off.

At that time, he truly believed that since he was such a terrible, evil, worthless person(this was to a delusional level, not the  usual parental self criticism), his son was doomed to a life of misery and horror, and that this would spare his son unbearable suffering.  

He thanks god every day that someone walked up on the roof, tackled him, and took his son away from him.   On medication, the thoughts like that, are all gone.   He misses his son every single day but accepts that he cannot visit him or see him, though he no longer has those impulses with treatment.

His comment was that he wished someone had forced him, against his will, to accept treatment.  

Quoting popomill:

That's exactly what I got from it. I was just saying that I've never heard anyone say that's what's behind the blaming of video games a such. Usually I just hear that it's a "normal" person that "snapped" from playing too many video games. I never really knew there was a whole mental disorder behind it all.

Francofan
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM
This woman had the SAFE in Afsbs bedroom! She also wrote out a check for him to buy new guns & yes he did live in same household! She is most dec responsible!!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Francofan
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Sorry ADAMS bedroom...this whole thing sickens me & alwYs will
Francofan
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Gaga tattoos...Whr do u get your info from?????????
lannabear
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Alright so I'm not trying to start any arguements, but this is how I see this event and gun control in general.
1) if someone wants a gun bad enough they will get one. Criminals don't care if they break the law, and SOME mentally ill people just don't see or respond to reality the way most healthy people do.
2) I don't believe video games can cause a "normal" person to just snap. One member commented about how someone already having issues could use the information, I do see that as plausible, possible, and likely in some cases.
3) the mother did what she thought was best. I don't know exactly what she did, how experts would do it different, ect but I won't judge her for her actions. While I do believe it is possible she missed signs, or her actions if different could have changed the events she didn't allow it to happen intentionally. Therefore the blame shouldn't be on her anymore then it should be on anyone else other then adam.
This was a terrible tradegy. I have a 2 year old and when I heard I hugged him trying not to cry (he wasn't too pleased with that lol) but gun control isn't the issue here, like some said earlier- he broke the law to do this. Changing the laws before hand wouldn't have changed it he would have just broken one more. It is a mental health issue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN