Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Adam Carolla: Welfare Recipients - like his family of origin - 'Atrophy' Under Unlimited Government Handouts

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 31 Replies

Adam Carolla shares stories about growing up on food stamps on his popular podcast. So when he talks about the damaging impact government handouts can have on a struggling family it's not just empty rhetoric.

He lived it. Carolla shared his personal views on welfare during this week's Rollin' with Carolla segment on Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor.

Here’s really what I object to: It’s not that certain people don’t need help from us, and the government. It’s that when you give too many people help, they start to atrophy.... 

My mother got food stamps, and we used food stamps, and she waited for her food stamps to come twice a month instead of going out and looking for a job....

I don’t have the white privilege guilt that many other people in the media have. I understand what it’s like to be on the dole. And it doesn’t make these people any stronger. You hobble these people; you take away the one thing they have, which is dignity, and the ability to pull them out of this mire.

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM
5 moms liked this

I listen to Adam Corolla a lot.  Have for years -- I grew up listening to Loveline with Dr. Drew.

Here's the thing:

That his family either misused or overused food stamps is the fault of his family.  Not the government.

Government provides the resources.  It's up to the people whether or how to use them. 

What Adam is actually doing here is the opposite of personal responsibility -- he's blaming the government for what his family, in fact, did.

P.S.  If conservatives are trying to hold out Carolla as some sort of conservative hero, they really need to re-listen to 10 years of Loveline episodes.   He's on record as an advocate for abortions for teenagers; and has often talked about how the government should be more involved in preventative health services for individuals and families. He and his co-host loved Planned Parenthood.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

You make an exellent point.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I listen to Adam Corolla a lot.  Have for years -- I grew up listening to Loveline with Dr. Drew.

Here's the thing:

That his family either misused or overused food stamps is the fault of his family.  Not the government.

Government provides the resources.  It's up to the people whether or how to use them. 

What Adam is actually doing here is the opposite of personal responsibility -- he's blaming the government for what his family, in fact, did.

P.S.  If conservatives are trying to hold out Carolla as some sort of conservative hero, they really need to re-listen to 10 years of Loveline episodes.   He's on record as an advocate for abortions for teenagers; and has often talked about how the government should be more involved in preventative health services for individuals and families. He and his co-host loved Planned Parenthood.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

OMG I used to listen to Loveline driving home from work (I was a waitress).

I agree with you on all points.

Also, there seems to be some serious contempt there. His comment about "white guilt" is just off-base considering the majority of FS recipients are white. Sounds like he harbors a lot of shame for being poor growing up. The entertainment industry is saturated with well-to-do white kids. Perhaps he's feeling  a little inadequate?

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Here's the thing:

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I don't know if he feels he's inadequate - but he has adopted the view that he grew up poor with crappy parents, and nonetheless succeeded, and therefore everyone can.  He also believes that he did it all on his own.  [The thing is, though, when he tells his personal story, it's pretty clear that he was taken in by Jimmy Kimmel and Kimmel's family when he was a young adult, and modeled his own life after those of that family.  In other words, he didn't do it on his own -- he was able to find a surrogate family and mentor.]

I think the white guilt comment comes from the fact that he doesn't believe he has any particular privilege by virtue of being white, because he had to figure everything out on his own as opposed to it being given to him.  And he probably really hates being told that he should feel privileged by people who grew up rich - the "well-to-do white kids" you describe. I don't blame him for that -- I probably would as well.

I don't know.  If I'm playing armchair psychologist (which is, admittedly, a favorite pastime of mine) he definitely has some resentment issues. 

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Also, there seems to be some serious contempt there. His comment about "white guilt" is just off-base considering the majority of FS recipients are white. Sounds like he harbors a lot of shame for being poor growing up. The entertainment industry is saturated with well-to-do white kids. Perhaps he's feeling  a little inadequate?

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Here's the thing:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Did you and I listen to the same interview?

Adam Corolla doesn't say any of those things.  

He discusses 2-3 main instances, and his conclusions, and his actions.

Seriously did you hear it? It's about 5 minutes.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Here's the thing:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM

It may be an excellent point.

Only it's not consistent with the interview, or his book.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

You make an exellent point.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Here's the thing:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I understand Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew were buds on the radio back in the day. I'm not familiar with him before he became a conservative.  Sounds like you are saying that is not possible. Of course it is.

Everyone changes over time to some extent - some more than others. You and I both know of conservatives who became liberals, and liberals who became conservatives.

It sounds like you are saying that fiscal liberals never develop into fiscal conservatives. That's silly.

I have no idea his perspective on abortion or other social issues - Not germane to this post. Quite a number of fiscal conservatives are social liberals.  This has always been the case. We don't all have to be identical, as it seems liberals have to be. Individual opinions are more permissible under the conservative big tent, apparently - than for liberals, where everyone has to have the same opinion. I think it is great to be able to have your own perspective even inside your own party.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Here's the thing:

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM

They're still buds, actually.  You can hear it in their conversations when Drew is on the podcast.  

I'm not sure what I've said that has led you to believe that I think that fiscal liberals never develop into fiscal conservatives.  Really, I have no idea where you got that idea.  To my mind, Adam has never been a fiscal liberal whatsoever. 

Actually, now that I think about it. . .has anyone ever called themselves a "fiscal liberal" - ever? 

Quoting SallyMJ:

I understand Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew were buds on the radio back in the day. I'm not familiar with him before he became a conservative.  Sounds like you are saying that is not possible. Of course it is.

Everyone changes over time to some extent - some more than others. You and I both know of conservatives who became liberals, and liberals who became conservatives.

It sounds like you are saying that fiscal liberals never develop into fiscal conservatives. That's silly.

I have no idea his perspective on abortion or other social issues - Not germane to this post. Quite a number of fiscal conservatives are social liberals.  This has always been the case. We don't all have to be identical, as it seems liberals have to be. Individual opinions are more permissible under the conservative big tent, apparently - than for liberals, where everyone has to have the same opinion. I think it is great to be able to have your own perspective even inside your own party.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Here's the thing:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Nah - he wouldn't talk about it publicly now if he still feels shame. No doubt he did back then, but he's talking about his experience because he cares about people in his family's situation and wants to help.

Are you saying there is something bad about someone telling their experience moving out of poverty, and mentioning the negative effects they experienced and saw in their own family?

He's still the same person, but he is able to support himself and his family now. Who wouldn't want to congratulate that?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Here's the thing:

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Of course it's not.  Because it's a criticism of his view.

Quoting SallyMJ:

It may be an excellent point.

Only it's not consistent with the interview, or his book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)