Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Surprised? Monsanto Openly Wrote Own Monsanto Protection Act

Posted by   + Show Post

It should come as no surprise to many of you to find out that Monsanto actually authored the wording of its own Monsanto Protection Act hidden in the recently passed and signed Continuing Resolution spending bill. How could a major corporation write its own laws and regulations, you ask?

Quite frankly I think it’s important to understand that the entire Senate passed the bill containing the Protection Act, but the politician who actually gave Monsanto the pen in order to write their very own legislation is no others than Roy Blunt — a Republican Senator from Missouri. As the latest IB Times article reveals, the Missouri politician worked with Monsanto to write the Monsanto Protection Act. This was confirmed by a New York news report I will get to shortly.

As you probably know I do not play the political clown game of left verses right, and instead highlight corruption and wrongdoing wherever it is found — regardless of party affiliation. In the case of Senator Blunt, he admits to colluding with Monsanto, a corporation that has literally been caught running ‘slave-like’ working conditions in which workers are unable to leave or eat (among many worse misdeeds).

This is one of the most blatant offenses against the citizens of the United States I’ve seen in a long time. A population that Blunt swore to serve. It’s not for the United States public at all, and it’s a serious matter that I don’t think is properly understood. The passing of this bill into law means that Monsanto is now immune from federal courts regarding any suspension or action on their crops that have been deemed to be dangerous to the people (or the environment).

This means crops that were approved and later found to damage the environment or the public will be immune from United States government action. Theoretically, one million studies could find that Monsanto’s latest creation was causing a massive cancer wave and under this law Monsanto could continue to peddle the crop to the public. The federal courts would (or will) be helpless to stop Monsanto, effectively giving Monsanto power over the entire branch of the United States government. Food Democracy Now, a major activist organization that organized signatures to fight the Monsanto Protection Act, described the rider:

“The Monsanto Protection Act would force the USDA to allow continued planting of any GMO crop under court review, essentially giving backdoor approval for any new genetically engineered crops that could be potentially harmful to human health or the environment.”

Sounds like a great idea, right?

Serving Corporations, Not People

Senator Roy Blunt and those who knowingly passed the Monsanto Protection Act (including President Obama who signed it into law just last night) have chosen to serve corporations over people. Ironic, really, as corporations legally are people — a legal area commonly used to avoid real jail sentences for major CEOs and executives who knowingly were involved with the deaths of consumers around the world.

It’s sad, really. I read up on Senator Blunt, and he does seem to constantly side with corporations over the public. Even on his Wikipedia page one line reads that Blunt ”consistently sided with Big Oil and other dirty polluters over a cleaner, more sustainable future.”I was even able to find a quote by Blunt defending his decision to allow Monsanto to write its own regulation through the Monsanto Protection Act. He told the NY Daily News in defense of the Monsanto Protection Act and his relationship with the company in writing the rider:

“What it says is if you plant a crop that is legal to plant when you plant it, you get to harvest it.”

I think Blunt is confused over which ‘people’ he is serving. I created this image to call Blunt out on his open decision to side with Monsanto over the public:

royblunt Surprised? Monsanto Openly Wrote Own Monsanto Protection Act

You can contact Senator Blunt through his website and let him know what you think about his decision to let Monsanto write its own Protection Act. No longer can we sit idly by while corporate juggernauts like Monsanto triumph over the people through swindling and deceit. Share this article, the image, and publicly denounce all politicians willing to sell their souls to Monsanto.

Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/surprised-monsanto-openly-wrote-own-monsanto-protection-act/#ixzz2OrTsWDEq 
Follow us: @naturalsociety on Twitter | NaturalSociety on Facebook

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Replies (41-41):
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I love YouTube videos for things like gardening and self sufficiency. There are literally hundreds of excellent how-to's and new ideas available for anyone that wants to learn. 

Quoting deadlights86:

Thanks! We've been researching all winter. There is a channel on YouTube called growing your greens that's really good he has like 700 videos so far.

Quoting Farmlady09:

It sounds like you have a pretty good start for this year already :-)

Quoting deadlights86:

Well we have 2 4x4 beds we just need a trellis for the one and we're good to go. We already have trellis on one and tomato plants put in. We have peas cucumbers and lettuce started waiting to go in. I started zucchini squash and spinach yesterday so we will have the other trellis up and ready by the time they are ready and since we're growing up the trellis we can do 2 zucchini in a square foot instead of 1.

Quoting Farmlady09:

The other thing you can do is strawbale beds. I've done them for 4 years now (even started my rhubarb and asparagus in them and transferred them to a permanent bed last year). You can pretty them up with braided rope, etc. so they don't annoy the neighbors in town. Out here in the boonies I just used the leftover which was mostly composted to top off the straw potato beds this year.

The other thing you might try is one of the vertical pallet herb gardens. There are a lot of how-tos if you google it, as well as on YouTube. I haven't done that one, mostly because I've got plenty of space finally. If I was still in town I'd be trying one though. Pallets are free lol ... and the worst that would happen is it would be a bust.

Quoting deadlights86:

Yeah we have a small backyard and we rent so we didn't want to screw up the yard plus we have a lot we want to grow. We already have 2 tomato plants put in and cucumbers and green beans ready to go in. We need to get another trellis for zucchini squash and sugar snap pea's

Quoting Farmlady09:

I know. It's a great way for beginning gardeners to get their fingers dirty ... and once you get the hang of it, square foot gardening is also fantastic for intensive production in much less space.

Quoting deadlights86:

Square foot gardening is awesome. We have 2 4x4 beds. I can't wait to start growing.

Quoting Farmlady09:

That's true ~ but I grew enough to feed my three boys, myself, and DH ... plus a good many guests and extra hungry boys in a 20 x 20 foot plot of dirt. Many times I duplicated that in containers. That wouldn't cover meat, dairy, or grain ... but you can add rice to that if you add one of those 5 foot blue kiddie pools. Toss a few goldfish in and you skip the mosquito farm.

Every little bit helps though, and you at least are trying. I would recommend some potted fruit bushes and dwarf trees if you do nothing else (blueberries, raspberry/blackberries, strawberries, and any of the miniature fruit trees) because those are chock full of pesticides and other bad things. I say potted in case you aren't supposed to plant where you are. And, I'd recommend the square foot gardening book if you are short on space as well. Build your own, and instead of buying the mix make your own from local sources. Herbs can be grown indoors on windowsills or in window boxes mixed with flowers.

The sad fact is that if enough people just bought local foods (in season!), and/or grew even some of their own, monsanto and most of the processed gunk would fade out due to not having a market (and the rest of the world has already told them no thanks). It's a shame that so many people are so stuck on fast food and 'easy', ordering pizza instead of making it, or can't be bothered with putting together a few frozen meals themselves on the weekend so they have them on the nights they don't want to cook for whatever reason.

I rarely eat out any more, mostly because I always get sick, or at least feel like crud for a few days afterward. Now that my system has been purged of all the gunk for so long, even a tiny bit makes me ill. That's maybe the scariest part of the whole mess.  

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I get your point about not being a pawn. And yes, gardening can be learned. But you're talking about owning a farm. Raising animals, gardening large enough to can as much as you spoke of is a farm.
Just like not everyone is cut out (yes born) to be a teacher, doctor, nurse even police officers, not everyone is cut out to 'garden' on the level you speak of, which to me sounds like a farm.
I don't consider myself a pawn. I buy local as much as available to me. (Yes, farmers mkts). And I buy as much organic as I can afford. And I no longer purchase frozen dinners, etc.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Being a pawn is a choice ~ one that I chose to avoid years ago.

No one HAS to be a pawn, but most people seem to prefer being one. I prefer to eat healthy food and live responsibly as far as what I take from the planet, and that's what I do. I raise our food ... fruit, veggies, and meat and dairy. Doing that meant making changes. I live in the country. I am mostly homebound because animals can't be left at a kennel for vacations. High fashion means not wearing muck boots (or what they frequently are coated in). When the garden and orchards are producing every day, I'm in the kitchen every day with three canners and a dehydrator cranking away.

The plus side is better ~ I set my own hours. I take breaks when I want. I don't have to buy expensive clothes, lunch, or gas to get back and forth to work. I can sleep in just about any day I choose. I'm no longer part of the rat race. Most of all, I can feed my family food that I know is healthy, not laced with chemicals, poisons, or genetically modified that costs me nothing but my time.

Instead of being outraged people should do anything they can to take Monsanto out of the equation. Stop buying their gunk. Either buy organic/grass fed or start growing at least some of your own food. Some people have already done so. Enough of them have done so to start putting a dent in Monsanto's clout and profits (which is part of the reason for this bill). If even half the people in the country stopped buying their gunk, they would lose that clout and ability to create pawns.

I couldn't afford organic. I rarely had much space to garden (military spouse). I found out there are many ways to garden in small spaces, without permanent changes to a rented lawn, and I kept at it. Gardening is not something you are born with a talent for or not ~ it's a skill that can be learned by anyone who chooses to (so no black thumb excuses). Choose to not be a pawn!

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

It shouldn't surprise anyone. Think about who the biggest financial contributors are to candidates of both parties: Big Pharm. Its all a conspiracy. Food is unhealthy, makes us sick and/or obese, we have to go to the doctor who prescribes meds at ridiculously inflated prices, which generate huge profits for Big Pharm, who then give our elected officials more money in forms of "contributions" and bribes.

We're all pawns. All of us.

Quoting 4kidz916:

I'm not surprised at all, Monsanto and the govt are in bed together.  It does disgust me that our politicians care so little about our health.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)