Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Prosecutors Will Seek Death Penalty In Colorado Theater Shootings

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM
  • 19 Replies

Prosecutors Will Seek Death Penalty In Colorado Theater Shootings

Accused Aurora theater gunman James Holmes during a court hearing last month in Centennial, Colo.

R.J. Sangosti/pool /Reuters /Landov

Rejecting James Holmes' offer to plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence, prosecutors in Colorado announced Monday that they will seek the death penalty for the young man accused of killing 12 people and injuring 58 in a mass shooting last July at a movie theater.

As Denver's KUSA-TV writes, "after a week of legal twists and turns ... Holmes could face execution if convicted."

Last week, as we reported, the 25-year-old Holmes' attorneys made the plea offer — but prosecutors called it a publicity ploy. Ben Markus of Colorado Public Radio tells our Newscast Desk that prosecutors "were left fuming that plea negotiations were made public ... violating the court's media gag order."

The Denver Post notes that "Holmes' attorneys said in their filing last week that they may pursue a mental-health defense and file numerous pre-trial motions if the case goes to trial." It adds that in court Monday, "District Attorney George Brauchler ... said his office consulted with 800 victims [and family members] before deciding to seek death for Holmes. Holmes appeared to have no reaction [to the announcement]."

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I should hope so.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Kinda wish we could have everyone who has been directly effected by this shooting could get a paintball gun and fire a few round at him before he they kill him. But that won't happen because of the insanity thing. Although I don't think he's Crazy at all.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Good!

ashellbell
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't support the death penalty so I can't be happy about this. I hope it brings some kind of peace to the victims families.
lancet98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Did anyone read WHY they did not agree with the guilty plea?

It's because the defense didn't include all of the information they're SUPPOSED to include with such a plea.

It was only AFTER that the prosecution started posing for the media and suggesting they rejected the plea 'in the name of justice' and all that other blah blah blah.

I'm still trying to figure out what the hell the defense really thinks it's doing.  

My guess of what is going on is that Holmes is so screwed up mentally he's still refusing to be interviewed by a psychiatrist or accept any medical treatment OR allow his psychiatric records to come into the trial.   And his defense team either isn't capable of doing what Loughner's defense did or there is some sort of procedural issue that prevents them from doing so either right now or perhaps always.

I will also guess that Holmes would maintain he is sane  - most really severely mentally ill people do, half of all schizophrenics (mild or severe illness) maintain they're sane. 

I'll also guess that the prosecution is under IMMENSE pressure to prove Holmes sane which would normally be quite an Olympian task.   But with all the media pressure (and perhaps, some of the political positions of those with influence on the trial), it may not be quite the impossible task it should be.

Because the defendant, due to his extremely disordered mind, is not cooperating and is insisting he's not mentally ill and won't allow anyone to bring his medical records in.

So, as it looks now, I'll guess that Holmes will get the death penalty, but that it will not be possible to execute him because he is mentally ill and there are rules about that.  

So either at some point in the trial or after the trial,  information will be obtained about his mental state and the execution will not take place.

Or not.   It's a crap shoot, and anything can happen.  

I'm sure there is an immense amount going on that the public is not ever going to be made aware of, but I am sure of several things-

one, Holmes is extremely mentally ill, though perhaps more violently at some times than others.  I believe that at least for a while, Holmes will refuse to have his psychiatric records brought in (not because they'll show he's only mildly ill or well, but because of paranoia and delusions). 

two, the prosecution is under immense pressure to get the death penalty.

three is more of a guess- that the defense is either the most incompetent defense team in the history of jurisprudence or they are attempting to do what Holmes wants them to do- which is really nuts.

three, when mentally ill people get the death penalty, there is a chance that that will be reversed later.

The other possibility of course, is that Holmes is doing everything he can to get the death penalty, either for delusional reasons(and those reasons could be any sort of irrational idea imaginable), or because he just plain wants to die.

Stephanie329
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM
What sucks is our death penalty system. It costs a fortune. I'm for the death penalty, it needs to change though.
JanuaryBaby06
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM

can anyone say they are surprised. you knewt he moment this happened if he didnt take himself out then the state would unless the state can prove me is mentally ill, which would be my guess. what he did is wrong, disgusting, terrible but i am very much against the death penalty.

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM

He should die they way he killed his victims.

survivorinohio
by Rene on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Stephanie329:

What sucks is our death penalty system. It costs a fortune. I'm for the death penalty, it needs to change though.
I agree it needs change. Like standards for one. I dont know if I agree this man is a candidate, his mental status seems very questionable to me. For me its most appropriate when an offender has confessed or been tied to the crime with irrefutable evidence. Video, DNA, Caught red handed and are sane, Bundy and Dahmer both examples. There is a man in another thread that ranks in my opinion. I am not saying the Theater shootings are not horrific, they certainly are but he has to be insane. He looks crazy. Also the I havent seen anything about his statements since the shootings. He appears to be drugged at times. The mentally ill who are a danger to themselves and others should be hospitalized which to me means this man should have been evaluated when his behavior changed in med school. Something broke in him I bet. You dont gain entrance in med school without some discipline and structure and it seems that was abruptly lost. I am basing this on having read he suddenly failed all mid terms. Big warning flag. Huge. All in all the death penalty should be for the monsters that do the unthinkable violence, not necesarily shooters. I dont know if anyone else will understand the distinction I am making which is also part of the problem in the DP argument.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM

He needs a mental health evaluation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN