Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

UN Arms Trade Treaty Calls for Disarmament of Persons 55 and Older

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 81 Replies
What are your thoughts?

http://www.guns.com/2013/04/01/un-arms-trade-treaty-calls-for-disarmament-of-persons-55-and-older/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=un-arms-trade-treaty-calls-for-disarmament-of-persons-55-and-older

UN Arms Trade Treaty Calls for Disarmament of Persons 55 and Older

Individuals 55 and older would lose their right to keep and bear arms under a provision that’s expected to be included as part of a comprehensive United Nations Global Arms Trade Treaty.

UN Secretary Gen. Ban Ki-moon spoke about the impetus behind the controversial measure at a press conference over the weekend in New York City, the site of the final negotiations between the 193 Member States.

“Regulating the international transfers of both weapons and ammunition is a key component of a robust arms trade treaty, as is limiting civilian access to small arms and munitions,” said Ban Ki-moon.

PFC Agnes Agnieszka, 23, mans a machine gun next to a truck.

“There’s an emerging consensus that certain groups should be restricted from possessing conventional arms, certainly those who fuel conflict, arm criminals or violations of international humanitarian or human rights law are at the top of the list,” Ban Ki-moon continued.

“But also, the international community believes segments of the population that present a danger to themselves and others, chiefly individuals deemed or adjudicated mentally defective and persons with attenuating cerebral faculties, should be added to that list.”

While Ban Ki-moon did not elaborate on what he meant by persons with “attenuating cerebral faculties,” a UN liaison with Amnesty International spelled it out in an interview with the Washington Post.

“Simply put, the UN believes guns don’t belong in the hands of the elderly,” said H. Michael Chase, an attorney for the human rights watchdog group.

“Pools of research show that a significant majority of gun-related suicides, accidental shootings, non-fatal negligent discharges are perpetrated by persons 55 and over,” Chase said.

“Along with the mentally ill, preventing those who are advancing in age from gaining easy access to firearms is a common sense way to save lives,” concluded Chase.

Dr. Michael Betti from the John Hopkins Center for Public Health Preparedness embraced the UN’s call to disarm senior citizens.

“Science tells us that we grow old,” said Dr. Betti, a neurologist who specializes in evaluating and treating patients with memory disorders. “And as we do, our reflexes diminish, our senses become impaired and our cognitive skills weaken … Therefore, as we enter our twilight years – clinically speaking, age 50 and above [Global life expectancy is only 67 years] – science tells us that we are in no shape to be handling or using a deadly weapon.”

In lieu of firearms, Dr. Betti suggests that seniors find other, non-violent and non-lethal options for self-defense.

“The optimal self-defense posture for seniors would include such items as a rape whistle or high-decibel air horn, quick-strike road flares, an electronic medical alert system, a cellular telephone with a large display, morphine injections, neon or glow-in-the-dark armbands, a mesh vest, a pith helmet with flashing headgear and a solar-powered radio,” said Dr. Betti.

Thus far, the White House has not offered a specific comment on the arms trade agreement or its call to disarm seniors, but to echo a recent statement issued by Secretary of State John Kerry, “The United States is steadfast in its commitment to achieve a strong and effective Arms Trade Treaty.”

As for the constitutionality of revoking an elderly person’s Second Amendment rights here in the U.S., at least one gun control advocate said, “That’s not a problem.”

“Look, Justice Scalia already ruled that the Second Amendment had ‘reasonable limitations,’” said William Kirchmeyer of the Coalition to Prevent Mass Shootings, in an interview with the Washington Post. “What can be more reasonable than taking guns away from people who are essentially ticking time bombs?”

What are your thoughts? Should we hang em up after a certain age?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1Giovanni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:28 PM

This is very stupid. 55 is not elderly there is police and military people that is 55 and over are they going to take their guns away too. I might agree 70+ because that is actually the elderly, but I think it should be case by case.

What I see in the media the most shottings are young men. 

29again
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Morphine injections???  WTF?  THAT is a self defense method?  Defense against what, exactly?? 

I would like to see the UN try to disarm the over-55's in this country.  That is one organization that needs to be disbanded.   And if that is not feasible, let's get them out of the US!  They do nothing good for this country, nothing at all.  They are evil.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't know. I can totally see how neon or glow-in-the-dark armbands would come in handy if the person trying to kill you was on acid or was 5 years old.

SMH

Quoting 29again:

Morphine injections???  WTF?  THAT is a self defense method?  Defense against what, exactly?? 

I would like to see the UN try to disarm the over-55's in this country.  That is one organization that needs to be disbanded.   And if that is not feasible, let's get them out of the US!  They do nothing good for this country, nothing at all.  They are evil.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
10 moms liked this

So .. old people and women are not capable of handling guns? Whistles are ok. Air horns are ok.

Morphine? Are the addicts in charge of trashing the COTUS now? WTH?!?

I'm fed up with this stupidity. Anyone that is too stupid to understand what 'shall not be infringed' means needs to get out of public office. Anyone that is too stupid to understand that only Americans have any right to control or determine what goes on in America needs to walk east until their hat floats and just keep right on walking (after paying all traffic and parking tickets of course). For that matter, anyone that is stupid enough to think there is a good reason to hand the UN another penny should join them on that easterly hike imo. Begone fainthearted control freaks (or man up and fight to take away that second amendment!).

Sorry, but what the UN (and most of our elected officials fear) is that the over 50 crowd (which effectively screws Mrs. Biden lol) happens to be some of the best trained marksmen in the world. Many are vets. Most hunt. They want those people disarmed. In fact, in order to do much in the way of stripping any other rights, they NEED those people disarmed. Ugh, this much stupid should hurt (and I hope that anyone dumb enough to try and vote for this or enforce it hurts very very much).

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:33 AM
4 moms liked this

The US is not going to sign the treaty.  Even many congressional democrats oppose it.

maddiesmommy5
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:43 AM
3 moms liked this

O yeah when im 55 I will happily trade in my guns for a whistle and glow in the dark arm bands...when they pry them out of my cold dead hands!

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this
So you can kill yourself before the bad guy? To give yourself an injection for pain so the beating you get won't hurt so bad?

SIGH

Quoting 29again:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:19 AM
4 moms liked this
“The optimal self-defense posture for seniors would include such items as a rape whistle or high-decibel air horn, quick-strike road flares, an electronic medical alert system, a cellular telephone with a large display, morphine injections, neon or glow-in-the-dark armbands, a mesh vest, a pith helmet with flashing headgear and a solar-powered radio,” said Dr. Betti.

I'm sorry but how the hell did this guy become a doctor? IMO he has the brainpower of a rotten vegetable. He makes as much sense as square wheels according to hubby. Lol. I wonder how old this guy is, and if he's over 50, I guess he has all this stuff and is planning his retirement SOON. Because who would want someone which diminished capacity treating them?

A medical alert system, I guess so they can come pick up your dead body. Glow in the dark armband to make it easier for the bad guy to find you? A mesh vest? Pith helmet to protect your head?

Oh, this guy pisses me off royally!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I would like to disarm all people but if I had to choose, I would trust the over 55 population with guns far more than the amoral adolescent or adolescent minded males which tend to terrorize various populations around the world or even worse, the child soldiers who are forced to fight.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I have guns to protect myself from those who would disarm me.

;)

Quoting idunno1234:

I would like to disarm all people but if I had to choose, I would trust the over 55 population with guns far more than the amoral adolescent or adolescent minded males which tend to terrorize various populations around the world or even worse, the child soldiers who are forced to fight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN