Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama Says $100 Million Will Be Invested In Brain-mapping Initiative

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 9 Replies

Obama Says $100 Million Will Be Invested In Brain-mapping Initiative

Adding some details to an initiative he announced during his latest State of the Union address, President Obama on Tuesday said that federal agencies plan to spend $100 million to jump start an effort to map the human brain. It's research that could lead to breakthroughs in the treatment and prevention of brain disorders.

As All Things Considered has reported:

"Much like the Human Genome Project a decade ago, scientists are hoping brain mapping will lead to new scientific advances and breakthroughs, and that perhaps it will even unlock the secrets of conditions such as Alzheimer's, schizophrenia and Parkinson's disease."

Mauricio Lima/AFP/Getty Images

Successful government research, Obama noted during Tuesday morning's White House announcement, has "changed our lives in ways we could never imagine" — leading to the development of computer chips, global positioning technology, the Internet and other technologies.

The Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies (BRAIN) Initiative is "the next great American project," Obama said.

He predicted the knowledge gained in the project "will be transformative."

"We have the chance to improve the lives of not just millions, but billions of people," the president added.

According to the White House, the president's 2014 budget will include about $100 million of research done by the National Institutes of Health, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, and the National Science Foundation.

All Things Considered plans to have more on the BRAIN project later today. Click here to find an NPR station that broadcasts or streams the show.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I think this is a very smart investment.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Anyone who's ever watched a loved one suffer from Parkinsons or Alzheimers can appreciate this.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Or epilepsy. Or mental illness. Or MS...

It's just amazing. And $100 million is a pittance when you consider how much is spent maintaining decent standard of living for those who are affected.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Anyone who's ever watched a loved one suffer from Parkinsons or Alzheimers can appreciate this.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about this, because while I feel that it is important research, I also feel that right now, with the way things are going, that we need to cut back on spending. However, I do feel that if our tax money is going to be spent, its better to spend it this way, then sending it overseas to our Allies, or to study tree frogs, etc.

jadedcynic
by Nerdilicious on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Autism, ODD, RAD, Bipolar, ADHD. If they can map the brain like they did the genome, there's a good chance they can find ways to minimize the effects of these disorders.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM
This sounds like a wise investment to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NotAMuggle
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM

very wise investment

JanuaryBaby06
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM

sounds like a pretty wise investment. i wonder what other research we are paying for though. i am sure there is a lot of useless government spending out there that could be axed.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Quoting gludwig2000:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, because while I feel that it is important research, I also feel that right now, with the way things are going, that we need to cut back on spending. However, I do feel that if our tax money is going to be spent, its better to spend it this way, then sending it overseas to our Allies, or to study tree frogs, etc.

This is how I feel as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN