Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Thank You ObamaCare....

Posted by   + Show Post

Just when I thought bureaucratic BS couldn't get any thicker?  Enter ObamaCare....

It’s easier to apply for green card than Obamacare

Application for new health exchanges includes 61 pages of instructions

If you thought nothing could be more tedious than filling out your tax forms, just wait until you try to apply for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act’s new exchanges.

The draft of the paper application is 15 to 21 pages, depending on whether someone is applying individually or for their family. See the Application for Health Insurance

And the instructions for the application run no less than 61 pages. That’s nearly six times longer than the instructions for a green-card application. (There are alsovideos of the process.)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/its-easier-to-apply-for-green-card-than-obamacare-2013-04-04

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Replies (11-15):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Please stop posting this propaganda.

Quoting GrannyM.:

AARP Logo

Health Care Reform Explained

The Health Care Law and When It Will Take Effect

Your questions answered

by Susan Jaffe, AARP Bulletin, Updated Fall 2011

Provisions of the health care law are scheduled to come online through 2014, and even beyond. - Photo by Jon Feingersh/Blend Images/Corbis

Q. If health reform is so important, why do we have to wait until 2014 for it?

A. You don't have to wait. Some provisions of the 2010 Affordable Care Act are already in effect, while other more complex changes begin on Jan. 1, 2014.

It takes some time because Congress gave a long to-do list to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, other federal agencies and, in some cases, state governments.

On the to-do list:From Congress...

• Set up state insurance purchasing exchanges to help consumers do comparison shopping for health coverage
  • Close the Medicare drug coverage gap
  • Require insurance companies to accept applicants with pre-existing health problems
  • Require most people to have insurance and offer help with premiums to make insurance affordable
  • Provide tax credits to small businesses that offer employees health coverage
  • Expand coverage to an estimated 32 million uninsured people

The Health Law and You

Through educational fact sheets and the question-and-answer series "Health Care Reform Explained," AARP has the information you need.

And the list goes on.

"This health reform law is quite far-reaching and touches nearly every aspect of our heath care system," says Jennifer Tolbert, a health policy expert at the Kaiser Family Foundation, an independent health research organization based in California.

The foundation has produced one of the easiest to use and most comprehensive time lines covering deadlines in 13 subject areas, from making health care more affordable to increasing the number of doctors and nurses and providing more long-term care options for older Americans.

For those who prefer just the deadline highlights, AARP offers a one-page fact sheet geared to beginners.

One glance at these time lines and you'll know why health reform is impossible to roll out completely in a couple of months.

Still, some parts of health insurance and health care are already changing because of the law.

While critics continue vehement attacks on the law and threaten to repeal it, Health and Human Services officials counter that Americans are just beginning to experience some of its benefits.

For example, the website Healthcare.gov, required by the law, helps people find insurance coverage now and provides health reform updates for families with children, individuals, people with disabilities, older people, young adults and employers.

"Already, people who were uninsured because of a preexisting condition are getting coverage through new Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plans, and young adults are able to stay on their parents' coverage until age 26," said Jessica Santillo, an HHS spokeswoman. "Businesses are getting help providing their employees and early retirees with health coverage, and insurers are prohibited from denying coverage to children with health conditions or dropping coverage for Americans when they get sick just because they made an unintentional mistake on their paperwork."

In addition, people in Medicare Part D who end up in the drug coverage gap known as the "doughnut hole," now receive discounts on drugs purchased whlie in the gap. Also, Medicare patients get free annual wellness exams and free preventive health care benefits like cancer screenings.

See also: Health Law: What's in effect, what's still to come.

Susan Jaffe of Washington, D.C., covers health and aging issues and writes the Bulletin's weekly column, Health Care Reform Explained: Your Questions Answered.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Mine also.

Quoting kailu1835:

Some people (like my husband) are self employed.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Or a job application plus resume. What does that tell you?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone's cost is going up -substancially.

Quoting SallyMJ:

That is to be respected and emulated.

And I bet that lots of the things you do well are a hell of a lot faster than an Obamacare application. And your cost may very well increase significantly as well, like many/most others.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting SallyMJ:

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Sorry, I interpreted your first statement as saying that it was as easy as filling out a job application and sending in your resume.  I could go out right now and get a job in my chosen field (medicine) if I wanted, with about 2 pages of an application, and a single page resume.  That's sure a far cry from the 20 or so pages needed to be filled out for Obamacare.  If you get it whether you have a preexisting condition or not, what is it that they need?  Obviously a health history is unimportant, since it isn't supposed to affect the cost of our premium.  So what is in these 20 or so pages?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Against, of course! I'm pretty sure we are on the same page.

I appreciate and respect small businesses, the engine of more than half of the job creation in the US.

And costs for virtually everyone on Obamacare will increase exponentially.

And the Obamacare application takes longer to complete than many of the tasks needed to run a business.

Sorry if I was not clear.  

shouting

Quoting kailu1835:

I think I'm confused.  Are you for or against Obamacare?

Quoting SallyMJ:

That i fantastic.

And I bet that lots of the things you do well are a hell of a lot faster than an Obamacare application. And your cost may very well increase  as well.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting SallyMJ:

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

jessilin0113
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Has anybody actually looked at the application?  It's not that complicated.  It's to determine what kind of coverage would be the best fit for your family AND to see if you qualify for any assistance.

It's also not necessary.  You CAN do your own shopping and find your own plan and fill out their application. 

Quoting kailu1835:

Sorry, I interpreted your first statement as saying that it was as easy as filling out a job application and sending in your resume.  I could go out right now and get a job in my chosen field (medicine) if I wanted, with about 2 pages of an application, and a single page resume.  That's sure a far cry from the 20 or so pages needed to be filled out for Obamacare.  If you get it whether you have a preexisting condition or not, what is it that they need?  Obviously a health history is unimportant, since it isn't supposed to affect the cost of our premium.  So what is in these 20 or so pages?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Against, of course! I'm pretty sure we are on the same page.

I appreciate and respect small businesses, the engine of more than half of the job creation in the US.

And costs for virtually everyone on Obamacare will increase exponentially.

And the Obamacare application takes longer to complete than many of the tasks needed to run a business.

Sorry if I was not clear.  

shouting

Quoting kailu1835:

I think I'm confused.  Are you for or against Obamacare?

Quoting SallyMJ:

That i fantastic.

And I bet that lots of the things you do well are a hell of a lot faster than an Obamacare application. And your cost may very well increase  as well.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN