Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OBAMA: GOVERNMENT TYRANNY IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE 'GOVERNMENT IS US'

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 72 Replies

In his big pitch in Colorado on Wednesday for further gun control, President Obama made an astonishing statement about gun rights advocates’ fears of governmental gun seizures. He said that such worries would just feed “into fears about government. You hear some of these folks: ‘I need a gun to protect myself from the government. We can’t do background checks because the government’s going to come take my guns away.’ The government’s us. These officials are elected by you … I am constrained as they are constrained by the system that our founders put in place.”

There are two odd angles to this statement. The first is Obama’s overarching theme: government violation of rights is impossible because “the government is us,” and we can’t violate our own rights. Were this true, we could do away with the Constitution altogether. We would also never have to worry about democracies turning tyrannical, or electing tyrannical rulers. In this odd vision, Germany, Italy, and Spain remained liberal democracies throughout the twentieth century, World War II never happened, and Egypt, the Gaza Strip, and Turkey are all thriving centers of freedom.

The government is most assuredly not us – at least not all of us – which is why our system of government is designed to protect the rights of minorities while still allowing majorities to legislate without violating those rights. Obama’s defense to charges of incipient tyranny is that tyranny can never happen here. Which, of course, makes it more likely that tyranny will happen here.

Truth be told, even Obama does not believe that the “government is us.” If he did, he would never worry about pro-life legislation (he does, and would challenge such legislation in court), heterosexual marriage legislation (he does, and challenges such legislation in court), or anti-Obamacare legislation at the state level (he does, and will likely challenge such legislation in court). Even in Obama’s vision of rights, populism is limited, although his vision of rights is skewed.

The second odd angle is Obama’s insistence that the Constitution constrains him. The natural inference seems to be that if it were not for the Constitution, Obama would indeed pursue a federal gun seizure. Like the villain at the end of every Scooby Doo cartoon, Obama’s offhand protest suggests that if it weren’t for those darn kids, he would have gotten away with it. Except that the kids are the founders, and “it” is massive gun control.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't forget - This is the same party whose Democratic National Convention ad seven months ago, proclaimed: "Government is the only thing we all belong to."

We don't belong to government - Government belongs to - and works for - US!

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM
3 moms liked this

The government IS us.  WE are the government.  Take a stand instead of whining that you are being oppressed by the government and treating it like some kind of enemy.  Take control over your political voice and get involved.  

And the second part is just taking Obama saying that the ridiculous freakouts about him being a dictator are impossible because yeah, the constitution protects us from dictators.  The whole scooby doo comparison is just making something random up because Obama had the nerve to state a fact that some people can't seem to get through their heads.

The problem with the author of this article is his assumption that the whole country is conservatives who agree with him, and liberals only exist in the government.  Obama got the majority vote, he didn't fall down from the sky to piss off conservatives.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Enjoy your nap.

Even the Founders didn't trust government.

But I believe you believe you are way more intelligent than they were...

Hardly.

Nitey-nite. The grown-ups will stay up and protect everyone.

Quoting stacymomof2:

The government IS us.  WE are the government.  Take a stand instead of whining that you are being oppressed by the government and treating it like some kind of enemy.  Take control over your political voice and get involved.  

And the second part is just taking Obama saying that the ridiculous freakouts about him being a dictator are impossible because yeah, the constitution protects us from dictators.  The whole scooby doo comparison is just making something random up because Obama had the nerve to state a fact that some people can't seem to get through their heads.

The problem with the author of this article is his assumption that the whole country is conservatives who agree with him, and liberals only exist in the government.  Obama got the majority vote, he didn't fall down from the sky to piss off conservatives.

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM
5 moms liked this

lol jeez you get more and more rude every time you respond to me.  (hint...your ridiculous reaction to a perfectly reasonable response that had no personal comment to you does not make you a "grown-up.")

WTF are you talking about the Founders didn't trust government?  They set up the government in such a way so as to avoid and imbalance of power and to have a participatory democracy.  So are you an anarchist?

I don't believe I am "way" more intelligent than the holy Founders, but I got it all over you, chicka.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Enjoy your nap.

Hardly.

Quoting stacymomof2:

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow.  SOMEONE doesn't know SQUAT about government.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM
5 moms liked this

Some of the founders that created the government stated that we needed guns to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government.  Our government is WAY more powerful than our founding fathers wanted it to be.  They knew exactly what they were doing when they put in the 2nd amendment, because they forsaw a government out of control... kind of like it is becoming.

Quoting stacymomof2:

lol jeez you get more and more rude every time you respond to me.  (hint...your ridiculous reaction to a perfectly reasonable response that had no personal comment to you does not make you a "grown-up.")

WTF are you talking about the Founders didn't trust government?  They set up the government in such a way so as to avoid and imbalance of power and to have a participatory democracy.  So are you an anarchist?

I don't believe I am "way" more intelligent than the holy Founders, but I got it all over you, chicka.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Enjoy your nap.

Hardly.

Quoting stacymomof2:

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Meh.  Reactionary bullshit.  You are taking the standard con line and trying to force that point of view onto everypoint of view, whether it is accurate or not.

Quoting kailu1835:

Some of the founders that created the government stated that we needed guns to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government.  Our government is WAY more powerful than our founding fathers wanted it to be.  They knew exactly what they were doing when they put in the 2nd amendment, because they forsaw a government out of control... kind of like it is becoming.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Enjoy your nap.

Hardly.

Quoting stacymomof2:

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM
7 moms liked this

Not a con line.  Have you read what Thomas Jefferson had to say about this?

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is siinful and tyrannical.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Meh.  Reactionary bullshit.  You are taking the standard con line and trying to force that point of view onto everypoint of view, whether it is accurate or not.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Enjoy your nap.

Hardly.

Quoting stacymomof2:

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Is it rude to wish you a good nap and to imply that you are asleep and not thinking this issue through carefully? No anger, profanity, frustration from me. Just a pretty fair assessment of the facts, and that future discussions here would probably be futile. 

We disagree big time, I think you are not being very wise about this issue. But you are welcome to your viewpoint, even though I think you re incorrect.

Didn't seem that you wanted to discuss - we were pretty much on different pages. I was trying to be respectful of your time, as well as mine.  Good day.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Enjoy your nap.

Hardly.

Quoting stacymomof2:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I could have given you this basic response in 4th grade - without the details, and for sure in high school. Obviously,  government and leaders can turn bad. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Enjoy your nap.

Hardly.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)