Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Phil Donahue: Bush used other people’s kids to prove he’s tough

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM
  • 22 Replies

Phil Donahue screenshot

Phil Donahue, who was fired from MSNBC for speaking out against the Iraq war, explained Monday night that making a documentary about a young paralyzed veteran was akin to a “spiritual experience.”

His 2007 documentary “Body of War” told the story of veteran Tomas Young, who joined the Army following the September 11 terrorist attacks. Young ended up being sent to Iraq, were he suffered a gunshot wound that left him paralyzed from the chest down. Donahue said on Current TV that catastrophic injuries were being hidden “behind the closed doors of thousands of homes in this country and nobody sees it.”

“It is awful, and we are running around, ‘The brave troops, the wonderful troops, oh the troops, nobody’s more wonderful and brave than our troops.’ The troops come home and the VA doesn’t call em back. We’re underwater with pretense. We think if we say it, it’s true,” he added.

Donahue had some particularly harsh words for former President George W. Bush and former Vice President Dick Cheney, who both pushed for the Iraq war.

“These are the guys who can’t wait to prove their tough and use other people’s kids to make the case,” he remarked. “The more you examine this, the more you are just outraged by the hypocrisy, the rah-rah of the media.”

Since the documentary, Young has lost the will to live. The suffering veteran plans to remove his feeding tube and stop taking medication in the following months.

But before passing away, Young decided to pen an open letter to Bush and Cheney last month. The letter, which quickly went viral, accused the two men of committing war crimes and being responsible for the murder of thousands of Americans.

Watch video, courtesy of Current TV, below:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/08/phil-donahue-bush-used-other-peoples-kids-to-prove-hes-tough/

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Phil Donahue hasn't been relevant in nearly 20 years.  His show had been dropped from NY and San Francisco stations in the mid 90's.  Between the fact that there were many, many talk shows on tv by then, and his anti-war stance during the first Gulf War, he lost so many viewers. His show ended in 1966.  His run on looser msnbc was so short (6 months) that it didn't even warrant a mention in Wikipedia's bio on him.

I used to watch his show until he decided to get so political.  People didn't watch talk shows to hear the host's political rants.

And now he shows up on Current TV, otherwise known as Al Jazeera tv.  So, I wonder why he's on there?  Perhaps the Arab tv station wants to use an American ex-tv talk show host to try to make us look badly, kwim.  If it hadn't been for this poor soldier's "open letter", Donahue would still be in old tv trivia land.  I'm sure the average American forgot about him at least a decade or more ago.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this
EVERY president uses the sons and daughters of America to fight.

But those sons and daughters VOLUNTEER to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

not all volunteered to go, Vietnam comes to mind:/

denise3680
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Quoting grandmab125:

Phil Donahue hasn't been relevant in nearly 20 years.  His show had been dropped from NY and San Francisco stations in the mid 90's.  Between the fact that there were many, many talk shows on tv by then, and his anti-war stance during the first Gulf War, he lost so many viewers. His show ended in 1966.  His run on looser msnbc was so short (6 months) that it didn't even warrant a mention in Wikipedia's bio on him.

I used to watch his show until he decided to get so political.  People didn't watch talk shows to hear the host's political rants.

And now he shows up on Current TV, otherwise known as Al Jazeera tv.  So, I wonder why he's on there?  Perhaps the Arab tv station wants to use an American ex-tv talk show host to try to make us look badly, kwim.  If it hadn't been for this poor soldier's "open letter", Donahue would still be in old tv trivia land.  I'm sure the average American forgot about him at least a decade or more ago.

Him being relevant or not is the jist of the article.  It is the message of how our troops are being neglected and have been for years and years at home, but the media likes to praise and boost, not showing the real happenings behind the scenes.

AuntieL333
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM

In someways I agree with him. It has always been a game of the old sending the young off to die for wars they start. Yes, we have a volunteer armed forces now, but we still require young men to register with Selective Services. If this country goes to war again it might not be a bad idea to re-institute the draft for a couple of reasons. One, there would be more people to fight which would alleviate some having to do 2, 3 up to 5 tours of duty. Second, everyone would have some skin in the game thus making it harder for some to pretend that the war is an over there thing. Third, if Senator Got Rocks' son is apt to be sent to the theatre they might think twice before sending our sons and daughters off to die.

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Mommy_of_Riley is referring to the first Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan.  Then there are the wars Obama's gotten us in middle of...Does Lybia ring a bell?  Now he's sending troops to Somalia to "train" their fighters.  Does that move ring a bell also?  Training another country's troops/sending advisers,  was the first foot in the door to getting us involved in Viet Nam.

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

grandma B

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Well when the first sentence in the article is "Phil Donahue, who was fired from MSNBC......." that kind of makes the article more about him than his documentary, etc.

There have been many well known people, i.e., Gary Sinise, many country/western singers, republican politicians, FOX News hosts and reporters who have been trying to get the gov't to do something to help our servicemen/women who have fought in wars since Viet Nam.  Ah, but the msm isn't interested in those people.  In fact they haven't been interested in what Phil Donahue has to say either for nearly two decades.

Oh, and by the way, I'm very much aware of the way our vets have been ignored by the VA.  I had many friends who ended up in Viet Nam.  Now there is a group of vets who got really screwed by the American public and the gov't.

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting grandmab125:

Him being relevant or not is the jist of the article.  It is the message of how our troops are being neglected and have been for years and years at home, but the media likes to praise and boost, not showing the real happenings behind the scenes.

grandma B

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM
True.

I think 1/5 or 1/4 of the troops serving in Vietnam were drafted... The rest were volunteers.

I think WWII was higher (something like 2/3 were drafted)

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Yes I was referring to recent wars (from my lifetime) :-)

Quoting grandmab125:

I'm pretty sure Mommy_of_Riley is referring to the first Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan.  Then there are the wars Obama's gotten us in middle of...Does Lybia ring a bell?  Now he's sending troops to Somalia to "train" their fighters.  Does that move ring a bell also?  Training another country's troops/sending advisers,  was the first foot in the door to getting us involved in Viet Nam.

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Who cares what that flakey fuck has to say about ANYTHING?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)