Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GOP Senator: Salary Donations Are 'Childish'

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:41 AM
  • 12 Replies

Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) told reporters Tuesday that he doesn't applaud the politicians who are donating portions of the their paychecks back to the government as a symbol of sequestration solidarity, according to The Hill.

“I think that’s kind of childish because it doesn’t really accomplish anything,” Inhofe said. “Apparently they weighed public opinion and they think it’s a plus, so they’re doing it. I probably will not follow their lead.”

Last week, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced he would take a voluntary salary cut equivalent to 14 days of pay to show solidarity with furloughed Pentagon workers.

President Barack Obama announced the next day that he too would take a pay cut and return 5 percent of his paycheck to the government. Other politicians have followed suit, including Secretary of State John Kerry, Treasury Secretary Jack Lewand Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.).

Inhofe hasn't shied away from vocalizing his opinion of Obama in the past. He said inMarch that Obama "is destroying this country."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/james-inhofe-salary_n_3046613.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course not.The right don't care about the debt they just care about trying to make the President look bad.They can't do that and it pisses them off.

ROTFLMAO!

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Childish? I've never thhought of donations to the American people as "childish".

Sounds like he and Nancy Pelosi have been skipping to school Congress hand in hand lately. I wonder if he will try to kiss her on the playground. "Jimmy and Nancy, sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!..."

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldnt call it childish. If they expect all of these people to take pay-cuts they should have been in the front of the line, are they all not Government workers?

gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't beileve that it is childish either, but instead shows a solidarity towards those who have mandated pay cuts.
Billiejeens
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course it is childish pandering to low intelligence citizens, no more than grandstanding.

ramita
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think its necessarily childish, but what's the point in donating money to a fund that's going broke and no one is really trying to fix it. Five days worth of salary will do NOTHING to solve the problem even if every single member of congress did this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
susan115
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Really now? The president doesn't need the right to make him look bad.  His 2 books his wrote and history will do that for him.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Of course not.The right don't care about the debt they just care about trying to make the President look bad.They can't do that and it pisses them off.

ROTFLMAO!

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM

LOL As bad as Bush W. or the puppet master cheney who pulled all the strings????????????????????

Quoting susan115:

Really now? The president doesn't need the right to make him look bad.  His 2 books his wrote and history will do that for him.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

ROTFLMAO!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I think that calling it childish is a bit harsh.  Of course it doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme, but people seem to appreciate it. 

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Agreed. It's a symbolic gesture. I think it's actually a bit childish to call it "childish".

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I think that calling it childish is a bit harsh.  Of course it doesn't make much difference in the grand scheme, but people seem to appreciate it. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)