Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

NATION'S LARGEST MOVIE THEATER CHAIN CUTS EMPLOYEE HOURS, DUE TO OBAMACARE

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM
  • 54 Replies

Monday, Regal Entertainment Group, the largest movie theatre chain in the country, announced that thousands of employees will have their work hours cut-- as a direct result of the added cost of the new ObamaCare mandates that become effective later this year.  

In a memo to employees, management was blunt: “To comply with the Affordable Care Act, Regal had to increase our health care budget to cover those newly deemed eligible based on the law's definition of a full-time employee.”

Fox News reports that, as a result of cutting employees' work hours (which is, of course, the same as a pay cut), full-time Regal managers have resigned in "a wave" after their hours and pay checks were slashed by as much as twenty-five percent.  

The manager told FoxNews.com ObamaCare has had the unintended consequence of taking food off his table.

“Mandating businesses to offer health care under threat of debilitating fines does not fix a problem, it creates one," he said. "It fosters a new business culture where 30 hours is now considered the maximum in order to avoid paying the high costs associated with this law.

“In a time where 40 hours is just getting us by, putting these kind of financial pressures on employers is a big step in a direction far beyond the reach of feasibility for not only the businesses, but for the employees who rely on their success," he said.

In order to avoid the added cost of providing  health insurance for employees working 30 hours a week (as ObamaCare mandates), it only makes sense for companies to schedule employees for 29 hours. So anyone who was working full-time is now being hit with a 25% pay cut.

Moreover, in a jobless "recovery" like the one we've been suffering under for four long years now, employers hold all the cards. And even if someone is able to find another job, what are the chances that employer won't be making the same decision to avoid the expense of ObamaCare?

The most under-covered story in the media this year is and will continue to be the effect ObamaCare is having on America's working class -- those who are losing their health insurance and the crucial work hours that can make all the difference when you live on the margins.

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I think this is going to be the norm from now on - until and unless our Senate and House do some major fixes to Obamacare.

And Regal is my favorite theater.

I wonder if movie ticket prices will decrease since the hours of these employees are being decreased!!

gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Yes, some major work needs to be done to make things better, but I can't help but wonder how many major corporations will use this as an excuse to cut their employees hours, so they can make a bigger profit. Will the ticket prices decrease? Hell nah, prices will probably go up and that too will be blame on Obama care.
Quoting SallyMJ:

I think this is going to be the norm from now on - until and unless our Senate and House do some major fixes to Obamacare.

I wonder if movie ticket prices will decrease since the hours of these employees are being decreased!!

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase to cover the added medical expenses. Although then they risk pricing themselves out of business, which then gives the employees a 100% pay cut :(

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:58 PM

BUMP!

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep..I am in retail and this is far from the only business doing this.Alot of big time corporations are doing the very same thing.They have employees being cut from 30 to 40 hours all the way down to 24.Makes it ROUGH!

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM
4 moms liked this

I will bet you that Republicans explained these kinds of things till the cows came home. And the Dems couldn't even figure out this would happen. Seriously, I don't even think it occurred to them. And now they are probably saying how evil those businesses are to try to survive. 

Can't wait until 2014!

Quoting tnmomofive:

Yep..I am in retail and this is far from the only business doing this.Alot of big time corporations are doing the very same thing.They have employees being cut from 30 to 40 hours all the way down to 24.Makes it ROUGH!

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM
2 moms liked this

They did and alot of us were on here trying to convince others this would happen.They said the same thing back then though that it would not be because of Obamacare of course not.

Quoting SallyMJ:

I will bet you that Republicans explained these kinds of things till the cows came home. And the Dems couldn't even figure out this would happen. Seriously, I don't even think it occurred to them. And now they are probably saying how evil those businesses are to try to survive. 

Can't wait until 2014!

Quoting tnmomofive:

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM
4 moms liked this

The first words to pop into my mind when reading this were "And the beat goes on".  You know, this is going to go on and on and on.  But wait, no one listened when the repubs were telling them this was going to happen, even while it was before the SC.  They (the SC) really screwed the American people, once again.

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
piracy and technology at our fingers did that, like drive in movies did. Which started fading in the 80's.hmmm

Nice scapegoat
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
29again
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM
4 moms liked this

It would help a LOT if people really understood all the costs involved in having employees.  This isn't about making more money, it's simply about staying in business, keeping the doors open in the first place.  Businesses have already cut staff as much as they can and still be profitable enough to stay open, and then they get hit with this.  Obama is really screwing the people of this country over, and yet the LIV's still voted him back in.  Poor things.  They have no clue what is coming at them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN