Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

New Hampshire Republican refers to women as ‘vaginas’

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 23 Replies

New Hampshire Republican refers to women as ‘vaginas’

By Eric W. Dolan
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 18:51 EDT
Peter Hansen screenshot

NARAL Pro-Choice New Hampshire on Tuesday condemned New Hampshire state Rep. Peter Hansen (R-Amherst) after news broke that he referred to women as “vaginas” in an email.

“Shame on Representative Hansen—we will do everything in our power to ensure voters in his district know about his demeaning rhetoric,” Sara Persechino of NARAL said in a statement. “Women are more than their reproductive organs. We are daughters, sisters, mothers, students, professionals, and community leaders. We deserve more than being referenced by our body parts.”

A blog called “susan the bruce” reported Monday that Hansen referred to women as “vaginas” in a message on the New Hampshire House internal email system.

Responding to debate over the state’s Stand Your Ground law, Hansen wrote on April 1 that “children and vagina’s” were missing from “the illustrious stories purporting to demonstrate the practical side of retreat.” The law allows deadly force when someone believes their life is in danger, without the obligation to first retreat.

“Are you really using ‘vaginas’ as a crude catch-all for women? Really?” state Rep. Rick Watrous (D-Concord) replied. “Please think before you send out such offensive language on the legislative listserve.”

But Hansen was less than apologetic.

“Having a fairly well educated mind I do not need self appointed wardens to A: try to put words in my mouth for political gain and B: Turn a well founded strategy in communication into an insulting accusation, and finally if you find the noun vagina insulting or in some way offensive then perhaps a better exercise might be for you to re-examine your psyche,” he responded.

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Being a Republican really has nothing to do with his being an ass. If he does refer to women as vaginas, maybe he is envious?
denise3680
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM

to which he gets none:/  Gotta love those Republicans, looks like the autopsy did not work:/

denise3680
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gludwig2000:

Being a Republican really has nothing to do with his being an ass. If he does refer to women as vaginas, maybe he is envious?

you are correct, but it is just too funny how they have a problem connecting with minorities, and women but are still doing and saying the same stupid things that put them in the dog house in the first place:/ 

gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree, because I really do believe that Republicans do need to get rid of all the same old geezers and their same old mentality if they really want to revamp the party. But, I also think that everyone who is an elected official is enjoying pitting Americans against each other, and that the longer we keep fighting the Dem/Repub battle amongst each other, they are getting things by us with our attention diverted. The longer we fight each other because of party, the less likely we are to become united and the less likely we are to demand that they put America first. We really should stop ignoring the man behind the curtain.
Quoting denise3680:

Quoting gludwig2000:

you are correct, but it is just too funny how they have a problem connecting with minorities, and women but are still doing and saying the same stupid things that put them in the dog house in the first place:/ 

denise3680
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Quoting gludwig2000:

I agree, because I really do believe that Republicans do need to get rid of all the same old geezers and their same old mentality if they really want to revamp the party. But, I also think that everyone who is an elected official is enjoying pitting Americans against each other, and that the longer we keep fighting the Dem/Repub battle amongst each other, they are getting things by us with our attention diverted. The longer we fight each other because of party, the less likely we are to become united and the less likely we are to demand that they put America first. We really should stop ignoring the man behind the curtain.
Quoting denise3680:

Quoting gludwig2000:

I agree, we are ignoring what is going on up there and has been going on for years and years.  The in fighting with Americans will never stop, as long as one or the other side think they are right and the fringes keep the fires stocked, the fighting will always keep us sliding into the abyss:/

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

What an idiot.  And they wonder why more women don't vote Republican.

susan115
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
3 moms liked this

As a female and proud republican, who cares what he says.  Why is that more important than our current President, who stated when he was a senator, that he wouldn't "want" his daughter "to have one of those".  So, read the whole article before pointing out one noun out of context.  But, it makes for good reading, those bad, bad republicans.

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 8:32 PM
To: ~All Representatives
Subject: RE: HB 135 Speech
The Representative from Manchester blogged today his full speech from the well at last weeks vote on HB 135.

There were two critical ingredients missing in the illustrious stories purporting to demonstrate the practical side of retreat. Not that retreat may not be possible mind you. What could possibly be missing from those factual tales of successful retreat in VT, Germany, and the bowels of Amsterdam? Why children and  vagina's of course. While the tales relate the actions of a solitary male the outcome cannot relate to similar situations where children and women and mothers are the potential victims. The presence of one or both ingredients demands that a potential totally different outcome might have prevailed and that is the factor which I believe was dismissed in the HB 135 debate and vote.

Rep. Peter T. Hansen
Hills. District 22 Amherst
ED&A Committee
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Thank you Clairwill for posting this.  When the e-mail is seen in full context, one can get where the Representative was coming from.

Quoting Clairwil:

Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 8:32 PM
To: ~All Representatives
Subject: RE: HB 135 Speech
The Representative from Manchester blogged today his full speech from the well at last weeks vote on HB 135.

There were two critical ingredients missing in the illustrious stories purporting to demonstrate the practical side of retreat. Not that retreat may not be possible mind you. What could possibly be missing from those factual tales of successful retreat in VT, Germany, and the bowels of Amsterdam? Why children and  vagina's of course. While the tales relate the actions of a solitary male the outcome cannot relate to similar situations where children and women and mothers are the potential victims. The presence of one or both ingredients demands that a potential totally different outcome might have prevailed and that is the factor which I believe was dismissed in the HB 135 debate and vote.

Rep. Peter T. Hansen
Hills. District 22 Amherst
ED&A Committee

grandma B

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Sigh...Just another left wing, over blown, big to-do about nothing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)