Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

**UPDATE** West, TX Rocked by Fertilizer Plant Explosion!

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM
  • 22 Replies
(CNN) - An explosion ripped through a fertilizer plant Wednesday night in West Texas and may have caused dozens of injuries, officials said.

A hospital in Waco, Texas, has been told to anticipate 100 injured people coming in from the fertilizer plant area, an official at the medical facility said. Glenn Robinson, CEO of Hillcrest Hospital, said a field triage station was being set up at the plant some 18 miles north of Waco after the Wednesday night explosion.

A photo after the explosion -- which reportedly happened around 7:50 p.m. (8:50 p.m. ET) -- showed a huge plume of smoke rising high into the air.

The West Fertilizer Plant is located about 20 miles north of Waco. A school and a nursing home are among the buildings near the plant, CNN affiliate KWTX reported.

**UPDATE**
Of the 60-70 people missing 12 bodies have been recovered. They are still in "search and rescue mode" looking for more. But as of now the number of dead is 12.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM
We live an hour and a half north of West and we could see the smoke. It looked like a mushroom cloud like a bomb went off... :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Link for updates...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/texas-explosion/index.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NotAMuggle
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM

i saw a video. that was crazy and i hope the people who were holding the camera are okay

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Here is a Fox News update:

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Very sad hope the ppl make it out safety.
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Call me a conspiracy nut if you want, but after the Boston marathon bombings, it seems odd to me that a fertilizer company would blow up now...not that these kinds of things don't ever happen.  I wonder if it could be linked to the same terrorists who bombed Boston.

IMHO, I think the bomber(s) in Boston are linked to a terrorist group.

Edited to add:  Maybe my theory was just blown out of the water.  A local reporter is talking on Fox right now.  Apparently, there was a small fire there, the fire dept responded, put it out, then it rekindled and caused the blow up. 

grandma B

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Yes, it's believed a fire ignited one of the tanks and that explosion caused the fire to get out of control and ignited other tanks.

Sadly, this isn't the first time a fertilizer plant has exploded in TX.

Quoting grandmab125:

Call me a conspiracy nut if you want, but after the Boston marathon bombings, it seems odd to me that a fertilizer company would blow up now...not that these kinds of things don't ever happen.  I wonder if it could be linked to the same terrorists who bombed Boston.

IMHO, I think the bomber(s) in Boston are linked to a terrorist group.

Edited to add:  Maybe my theory was just blown out of the water.  A local reporter is talking on Fox right now.  Apparently, there was a small fire there, the fire dept responded, put it out, then it rekindled and caused the blow up. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Most of the town is gone.

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Just to give you an idea... Friends said they thought there was an earthquake (they live 65 miles north of West). That is how hard the shock wave from the explosion was...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Really!    Wow I know it's only a pop. Around 2,500 but that's it is is mostly rural land?   Have they said how many ppl in town have been hurt or killed? 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Most of the town is gone.

Quoting Fields456:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)