Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That if North Korea starts a war with us, or us with them that the debt to China and all the Bonds China has purchase are voided?

That raises the stakes a bit if true.  I had never thought of it in those terms until it was stated in another group tonight.

Thoughts?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Yup - just as when I'm at a store of any kind that has trouble ringing up a price, I tell them, "Well, it's free, right?"

celticdragon77
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Americans need to trade guns for books.
Quoting buttersworth:

I never heard that, but I'm more afraid that a backward little buffoon Kim jung Un over there in Korea would get support from China.

China in some way has a lot of political pull in this country. Like, anything bad anyone says about China is often censored. Plus they exported dog food with rat poison in it to us, and toys with lead in the paint, and when a legislator got mad at them, our ambassador just apologized to the Chinese. Apologized after they did to us what wreaks of aggressive intentional behavior. Also, twice the Chinese said US citizens should not own guns. What, so if they decide to invade, they don't have to worry about Mr. Suburbia and his Iraq War veteran friends from blowing their troops away, guerilla style like we did against the Red Coats?

I wouldn't be surprised if China was going to use N. korea to get at us, and to get at japan too.

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I heard if there is a war and China backs N Korea then the debt will be wiped. 

survivorinohio
by Rene on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Thats what I have been told.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Aislinn
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

This is what was said:

Quote:

Not to mention, American politicians stand to gain A TON from a war with North Korea.  The very MOMENT North Korea provokes a war-like aggression, we no longer have a national debt crisis.  China has been "buying" the US debt for decades.  China is N. Korea's ally.  We will not pay our enemy to attack us, so in that instant the world forgives our debt to China.  Just. Like. That.

And this is how it was sourced:

Quote:

China gains to lose a LOT in the war.  Not only the debt they bought from the US, but they fear instability in the Korean Penninsula would create chaos in their own country as refugees flooded in.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-japan-and-china-buy-us-debt-2012-9
http://bonds.about.com/od/bondinvestingstrategies/a/Chinadebt.htm

To summarize WHY China "buys our debt" is this: China is able to devalue their currency by buying our debt, which allows them to sell to us very low.  In turn, they keep the currency within their own country stable, which allows for internal prosperity and economic growth.

If China was to maintain their alliance with North Korea in a time of war, we'd be able to default on our loans.  There is no way whatsoever that we would PAY another country to PAY their troops to come KILL our soldiers.  Therefore, we could not pay China.  All the bonds they bought would become useless.  Not to mention, we are their biggest customer.  They could not finance a war without us buying their exports.

(The question this leaves is how costly would this war be to us?  Wouldn't we just run up the tab on the global market again?)

Also look into "The Great Illusion" and "The Money Game" by Norman Angell.

Except.. China signed the sanctions placed against N Korea. They have also publicly said that they will not tolerate N Korea bombing anyone. I do understand what the article says, though. If China and the US were to fight, debts would not be paid back. They would not be voided, however... China depends on the USA as much as we depend on them. We go to war and our economy tanks? So doesn't China's.

JoJoBean8
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I don't know if it's true or not. I didn't research it because i don't think there will be a war.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting JoJoBean8:

survivorinohio
by Rene on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting survivorinohio:

This is what was said:

Quote:

Not to mention, American politicians stand to gain A TON from a war with North Korea.  The very MOMENT North Korea provokes a war-like aggression, we no longer have a national debt crisis.  China has been "buying" the US debt for decades.  China is N. Korea's ally.  We will not pay our enemy to attack us, so in that instant the world forgives our debt to China.  Just. Like. That.

Quote:

China gains to lose a LOT in the war.  Not only the debt they bought from the US, but they fear instability in the Korean Penninsula would create chaos in their own country as refugees flooded in.

To summarize WHY China "buys our debt" is this: China is able to devalue their currency by buying our debt, which allows them to sell to us very low.  In turn, they keep the currency within their own country stable, which allows for internal prosperity and economic growth.

If China was to maintain their alliance with North Korea in a time of war, we'd be able to default on our loans.  There is no way whatsoever that we would PAY another country to PAY their troops to come KILL our soldiers.  Therefore, we could not pay China.  All the bonds they bought would become useless.  Not to mention, we are their biggest customer.  They could not finance a war without us buying their exports.

(The question this leaves is how costly would this war be to us?  Wouldn't we just run up the tab on the global market again?)

Except.. China signed the sanctions placed against N Korea. They have also publicly said that they will not tolerate N Korea bombing anyone. I do understand what the article says, though. If China and the US were to fight, debts would not be paid back. They would not be voided, however... China depends on the USA as much as we depend on them. We go to war and our economy tanks? So doesn't China's.

I agree that china doesnt want N Korea to bomb anyone.   I understand it to mean if they (NK) did anyhow and war was declared  and China stands as their ally, that the rest of the world, not china of course, would void the debt and the bonds.  This would hurt china for sure. Change credit ratings and such I would think.

survivorinohio
by Rene on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I dont either, but I really think if China werent so invested it may be different.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I don't know if it's true or not. I didn't research it because i don't think there will be a war.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting JoJoBean8:

survivorinohio
by Rene on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM

This is not so politically correct but it sure is funny :)  I dont want to worry about this guy but I still do a little I admit.

Aislinn
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting survivorinohio:

This is what was said:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree that china doesnt want N Korea to bomb anyone.   I understand it to mean if they (NK) did anyhow and war was declared  and China stands as their ally, that the rest of the world, not china of course, would void the debt and the bonds.  This would hurt china for sure. Change credit ratings and such I would think.

It is not like it used to be like it was, say, in WW 2 times. The worlds economy is so fragile. I think the world found that out when our market crashed. Back in the days of world wars, no country depended on another country, like they do now.. If that makes sense. I am working on little caffeine. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)