Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The Associated Press reports that the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects in photos released last night have been identified. One is dead; the other is Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, a resident of Cambridge, Mass. who immigrated legally to the United States.

And the great googling commences, made easlier by the suspect's uncommon name. (Dzhokhar is a common Chechen name. If the etymology holds up, the suspect is very literally Caucausian.) A "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev" was awarded a student scholarship by Cambridge in 2011. That year someone with this name was a wrestling "all-star" in the Cambridge Rindge and Greater Boston League. No, Brian Ross, there is no "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev" in the rolodex of Tea Party Patriots.

UPDATE: A "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev" has a profile on VKontakte, Russia's answer to Facebook, and his wall looks ... much like the walls of Americans with the names of terror suspects, but with more Chechen jokes. Avaaz's Ben Wikler pulls a photo from the page:

Compare this to the FBI's photo:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78793.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/325196873486962688

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/what-we-know-about-boston-marathon-bomb-suspect-dzhokhar-tsa

http://www.businessinsider.com/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-2013-4

His Page on Vkontakte, the Russian equivalent of Facebook, has been overrun with people asking him how he could have committed the bombing, and wishing him dead.

His Page on Vkontakte, the Russian equivalent of Facebook, has been overrun with people asking him how he could have committed the bombing, and wishing him dead.
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I do not believe it is giving up freedom.  You are in public.  Now if they wanted to intall them in the privacy of our homes and yards, then I would say it infringes greatly on our freedoms.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I'm not a big fan of giving up my freedoms. But the cameras don't bother me. They should if you're not doing anything illegal....right?

Quoting denise3680:

yes, I think so.  They got some really great video from the scene of the marathon.  Thank goodness those cameras were there.  I know people may hate what I am going to say, but I really think every major city should have cameras on the streets sidewalks.  This made the job so much easier to do.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Tamerlan fled Chechnya with his family because of the conflict in the early 90s, and lived for years in Kazakhstan before getting to the United States as a refugee.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tamerlan-tsarnaev-boston-marathon-suspect-2013-4

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Wow... It seems like this kid may have had an opportunity to the American dream...  Prestigious education, athletic awards.   

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/boston/umass-dartmouth-campus-closed-bombing-suspect-a-registered-student/article_a96f907c-a8f7-11e2-b5b0-0019bb2963f4.html

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm good with it. The Right to Privacy does not extend to the public street.

Quoting denise3680:

yes, I think so.  They got some really great video from the scene of the marathon.  Thank goodness those cameras were there.  I know people may hate what I am going to say, but I really think every major city should have cameras on the streets sidewalks.  This made the job so much easier to do.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I'm not a big fan of giving up my freedoms. But the cameras don't bother me. They should if you're not doing anything illegal....right?

Quoting denise3680:

I guess I am not understanding what freedoms you are giving up.  IF you are not doing anything wrong, then really you would not even know they were there or really even pay attention to them:/  I am not trying to be snarky, I really am curious about your statement about losing your freedom.  IMO, I think they already have cameras all over the place, and the government already can find out anything they want to know about you at any given time, but we still have many freedoms, more so than many other countries.

Some people believe that having cameras watching everything we do IS giving up freedom. Big brother watching... 

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Again, personally they don't bother me. But I have family members that feel differently. That "big brother" watching IS giving up freedom.

I understand that point of view and also understand that there are moms here that feel the same way.

Quoting Carpy:

I do not believe it is giving up freedom.  You are in public.  Now if they wanted to intall them in the privacy of our homes and yards, then I would say it infringes greatly on our freedoms.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting denise3680:

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

The father of suspected Boston Marathon bomber called on his son today to give up peacefully, but warned the U.S. that if his son is killed “all hell will break loose.”

Anzor Tsarnaev spoke to ABC News from his home in the Russian city of Makhachkala as Boston police carried out an intense dragnet for his son Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. ….
The elder Tsarnaev insisted that his sons were innocent, but said he would appeal to his son to “surrender peacefully”

“Give up. Give up. You have a bright future ahead of you. Come home to Russia,” the dad said.

The father warned, however, “If they killed him, then all hell would break loose.”

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boston-bomb-suspects-dad-tells-son-surrender-hell/t/story?id=18995936#.UXFTzStAR4c&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fhotair.com%2Farchives%2F2013%2F04%2F19%2Fvideo-bombers-father-tells-son-to-surrender-threatens-us%2F

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM
3 moms liked this

Dad tells his son to surrender.....  Then threatens the US.  Wow....

denise3680
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting denise3680:

I guess I am not understanding what freedoms you are giving up.  IF you are not doing anything wrong, then really you would not even know they were there or really even pay attention to them:/  I am not trying to be snarky, I really am curious about your statement about losing your freedom.  IMO, I think they already have cameras all over the place, and the government already can find out anything they want to know about you at any given time, but we still have many freedoms, more so than many other countries.

Some people believe that having cameras watching everything we do IS giving up freedom. Big brother watching... 

I have heard that argument before, I guess they have a point if looking at it from a right to privacy stand point:/ But as someone else said, the right to privacy does not apply to a public street.  

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
There is no expectation of privacy on the public's streets.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Again, personally they don't bother me. But I have family members that feel differently. That "big brother" watching IS giving up freedom.

I understand that point of view and also understand that there are moms here that feel the same way.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting denise3680:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN