Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The Associated Press reports that the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects in photos released last night have been identified. One is dead; the other is Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, a resident of Cambridge, Mass. who immigrated legally to the United States.

And the great googling commences, made easlier by the suspect's uncommon name. (Dzhokhar is a common Chechen name. If the etymology holds up, the suspect is very literally Caucausian.) A "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev" was awarded a student scholarship by Cambridge in 2011. That year someone with this name was a wrestling "all-star" in the Cambridge Rindge and Greater Boston League. No, Brian Ross, there is no "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev" in the rolodex of Tea Party Patriots.

UPDATE: A "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev" has a profile on VKontakte, Russia's answer to Facebook, and his wall looks ... much like the walls of Americans with the names of terror suspects, but with more Chechen jokes. Avaaz's Ben Wikler pulls a photo from the page:

Compare this to the FBI's photo:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78793.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/325196873486962688

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/what-we-know-about-boston-marathon-bomb-suspect-dzhokhar-tsa

http://www.businessinsider.com/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-2013-4

His Page on Vkontakte, the Russian equivalent of Facebook, has been overrun with people asking him how he could have committed the bombing, and wishing him dead.

His Page on Vkontakte, the Russian equivalent of Facebook, has been overrun with people asking him how he could have committed the bombing, and wishing him dead.
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I missed that. Where? What was the threat?

Quoting jcrew6:

Dad tells his son to surrender.....  Then threatens the US.  Wow....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boston-bomb-suspects-dad-tells-son-surrender-hell/t/story?id=18995936

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I missed that. Where? What was the threat?

Quoting jcrew6:

Dad tells his son to surrender.....  Then threatens the US.  Wow....

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you see a difference between - a right to privacy and a right not to be recorded?

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

There is no expectation of privacy on the public's streets.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Again, personally they don't bother me. But I have family members that feel differently. That "big brother" watching IS giving up freedom.

I understand that point of view and also understand that there are moms here that feel the same way.

Quoting Carpy:

I do not believe it is giving up freedom.  You are in public.  Now if they wanted to intall them in the privacy of our homes and yards, then I would say it infringes greatly on our freedoms.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I'm not a big fan of giving up my freedoms. But the cameras don't bother me. They should if you're not doing anything illegal....right?

Quoting denise3680:

yes, I think so.  They got some really great video from the scene of the marathon.  Thank goodness those cameras were there.  I know people may hate what I am going to say, but I really think every major city should have cameras on the streets sidewalks.  This made the job so much easier to do.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Hot Air opinions...

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM
In private yes, not in a public place.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Do you see a difference between - a right to privacy and a right not to be recorded?

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

There is no expectation of privacy on the public's streets.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Again, personally they don't bother me. But I have family members that feel differently. That "big brother" watching IS giving up freedom.

I understand that point of view and also understand that there are moms here that feel the same way.

Quoting Carpy:

I do not believe it is giving up freedom.  You are in public.  Now if they wanted to intall them in the privacy of our homes and yards, then I would say it infringes greatly on our freedoms.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I'm not a big fan of giving up my freedoms. But the cameras don't bother me. They should if you're not doing anything illegal....right?

Quoting denise3680:

yes, I think so.  They got some really great video from the scene of the marathon.  Thank goodness those cameras were there.  I know people may hate what I am going to say, but I really think every major city should have cameras on the streets sidewalks.  This made the job so much easier to do.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LIMom1105
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Quoting denise3680:

Not a bad idea. While there is a creepy element to it, it's ultimately for the best. We have them at so many red light cameras at intersections near me, might as well put it towards something useful.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM
All this talk about the Muslims did this, and now it comes out that they are Russian. That is why we should never rush to blame someone and why its important to wait for all of the information and not to run on speculation.
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

There are Russian Muslims.

Quoting gludwig2000:

All this talk about the Muslims did this, and now it comes out that they are Russian. That is why we should never rush to blame someone and why its important to wait for all of the information and not to run on speculation.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

They are radical Islamists.  His aunt was discussing how they had both become so intense with their belief in Islam, lately.  It was on NPR.  the older one would not remove his shirt at the gym if women were around.  He was very devout, if you call it that with radicalness.

Quoting gludwig2000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)