Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Georgia Woman Kills Would Be Rapist With .22 Pistol

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM
  • 56 Replies

Police: Woman Shoots, Kills Intruder gallery

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — 

An intruder who was shot and killed after a confrontation with a Duluth woman in her shower was likely stalking her for days and may have other victims, Gwinnett police said.

The 53-year-old woman, who is also a veteran private school counselor, was alone at the time of the Wednesday morning attack. She lives on East Mount Tabor Circle in Duluth.

The woman was getting out of the shower when she was met by a strange man with a kitchen knife, police said. They said there was a struggle in the bathroom, and she fell in the tub. Police later identified the man as Israel Perez Puentes, a Cuban national who lived in Alpharetta.

"The male was armed with a kitchen knife, a struggle ensued between the two of them. She fell in the bathtub injuring herself," Gwinnett police spokesman Edwin Ritter said.

The woman tried to fight the man off with a shower a rod, and he forced her into her bedroom, police said. They said she told her attacker she had money in the room. But she grabbed a .22-caliber handgun and shot the man nine times, police said.

Police said the man ran out of a back door and collapsed in the yard. He later died at the Gwinnett Medical Center. The victim, who was injured in the scuffle, was also taken to the hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries. Police have not released her name.

Police told Channel 2's Kerry Kavanaugh they don't know why the woman was targeted.

"He may have seen her somewhere and he identified her as being a potential victim and he basically stalked her until he found the right moment to act on it," said Ritter.

"Our department is looking into any other cases around metro atlanta area as well as our jurisdiction to see if he may be involved with any other sexual assaults that may have occurred."

Dan Tucker, a friend and neighbor, said he was amazed at how the victim defended herself against the armed intruder.

"She's smart, she's witty and obviously well prepared," Tucker said.

Ritter said the shooting investigation was ongoing but defended the victim, saying the shooting appeared to be justified, and that she acted in self-defense. He said there are no plans to charge her.

Police said Thursday that neighbors had spotted Puentes' car in the neighborhood several days before the attack but did not report it. Puentes' estranged wife told Kavanaugh he had been arrested for burglary in Johns Creek in December.

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Go gurl!

Yeah, so what are the liberalites gonna say this time?

Thank you for sharing.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM
4 moms liked this

If this woman had not had her gun, she very likely would have been raped, stabbed, and possibly murdered.

Which is why they call a gun for a woman "the great equalizer".  She equalized him, all right...

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM
4 moms liked this

So should we be limiting this woman to only 7 rounds?

"We are going to take away 30% of your firepower, because you really won't ever need it!" 

Said by people with body guards, who carry their guns for them.

Quoting buttersworth:

Go gurl!

Thank you for sharing.

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh, who was that, Diane Franken....i mean, Diane Fein stein ?

for those that don't know: She is one politician -who said on video- that she would like to take citizen's guns

just so as not to confuse anyone with the issue of 'it's only background checks, they're not gonna take your guns"

Quoting SallyMJ:

"We are going to take away 30% of your firepower, because you really won't ever need it!" 

Quoting buttersworth:

Go gurl!

Thank you for sharing.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this
YAY for her and her right to bear arms!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM

That's right - "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in."

And, DiFi - as I like to call her - said a day or two ago that the gun law that was defeated in the Senate would not have stopped Sandy Hook. Maybe she could have said that to her fellow Senators BEFORE the vote?

Did you see the 1996(?) photo of DiFi holding an AR-15 incorrectly, with her finger on the trigger, and pointing it at people? In making a case against guns?

And you know she packs and carries, right? "Do as I say, not as I do."

Quoting buttersworth:

for those that don't know: She is one politician -who said on video- that she would like to take citizen's guns

just so as not to confuse anyone with the issue of 'it's only background checks, they're not gonna take your guns"

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting buttersworth:

Go gurl!

Thank you for sharing.

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh yeah, I know...my reply originally included that but I shortened it

So what about Obama's "shameful" day? Makes me sick. He's ashamed in front of Bill Ayers probably.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

(not yelling at you, just emphasizing)

They have to be either illiterate or communist

Quoting SallyMJ:

That's right - "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in."

And, DiFi - as I like to call her - said a day or two ago that the gun law that was defeated in the Senate would not have stopped Sandy Hook. Maybe she could have said that to her fellow Senators BEFORE the vote?

Did you see the 1996(?) photo of DiFi holding an AR-15 incorrectly, with her finger on the trigger, and pointing it at people? In making a case against guns?

And you know she packs and carries, right? "Do as I say, not as I do."

Quoting buttersworth:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting buttersworth:

Go gurl!

Thank you for sharing.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Now, wait according to some liberals, a gun wouldn't help women from being raped...  

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM

The ones without a brain, character, and/or critical thinking skills.

Quoting jcrew6:

Now, wait according to some liberals, a gun wouldn't help women from being raped...  

JustCJ
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

That she should have stuck her hand in her butt and swiped it under his nose...thus grossing him out?

Quoting buttersworth:

Go gurl!

Thank you for sharing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN