Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Czech ambassador clarifies: The Czech Republic is not Chechnya

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM
  • 32 Replies

Posted By Marya Hannun   Friday, April 19, 2013 - 7:45 PM  

You've probably noticed that the Russian republic of Chechnya has dominated the news today, as we learn more about the suspects implicated in the Boston Marathon bombing. For some, though, this has led to more confusion than clarity. On Friday, the Czech Republic began trending on Twitter as people mixed up the two locations -- located 1,600 miles apart.

In addition to prompting a host of angry responses, the mix-up has now even elicited a response from the Czech ambassador to the United States, Petr Gandalovic, who seemed rather offended and posted the following statement on the embassy's website:

"As more information on the origin of the alleged perpetrators is coming to light, I am concerned to note in the social media a most unfortunate misunderstanding in this respect. The Czech Republic and Chechnya are two very different entities - the Czech Republic is a Central European country; Chechnya is a part of the Russian Federation.

"As the President of the Czech Republic Miloš Zeman noted in his message to President Obama, the Czech Republic is an active and reliable partner of the United States in the fight against terrorism. We are determined to stand side by side with our allies in this respect, there is no doubt about that."

Unfortunately, this isn't the only diplomatic kerfuffle to arise from the search for suspects. On Thursday, the Yemeni embassy sent out a press release demanding that MSNBC anchor Chris Matthews apologize for inquiring about whether federal investigators could determine from photo and video footage whether the suspects were of Yemeni origin:

"The Embassy of Yemen was concerned and appalled this evening when MSNBC anchor Chris Matthews indirectly branded the people of Yemen as terrorists. This was an unfair comment, which the Embassy of the Republic of Yemen in Washington, D.C. strongly condemns." 

The U.S. media and Twittersphere haven't exactly done a spectacular job getting the facts straight this week. We can only hope that as the story plays out, it doesn't spark any additional international standoffs.

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsix
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:09 AM

This is true...the Czech Republic use to be called Czechoslovakia. Chechnya,is part of what was previously know as the Soviet Union. Two completely different places.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Wow - and all this time I thought that Chechnya was the updated name of the Czech Republic.

Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic, Chechnya - right?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Actually, the Czech Republic is HALF of what was Czechoslovakia.  The other part is Slovakia. 

But I thought it was both sad and cute that an ambassador felt the need to say, those terrorists did not come from my country.

Quoting cjsix:

This is true...the Czech Republic use to be called Czechoslovakia. Chechnya,is part of what was previously know as the Soviet Union. Two completely different places.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:19 AM
3 moms liked this

And Australia, of course, is that small German country to the north of Italy.

cjsix
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I did miss posting that part.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Actually, the Czech Republic is HALF of what was Czechoslovakia.  The other part is Slovakia. 

But I thought it was both sad and cute that an ambassador felt the need to say, those terrorists did not come from my country.

Quoting cjsix:

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately, that didn't work out so well for this country's most recent wars considering the large amount of people who still believe that Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein were in on 9/11 together because in their minds Afghanistan and Iraq are neighbors.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Ambrose Bierce, the late American journalist and author, may have been right when he said: ''War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Do you mean the 40% in polls by Zogby, New York Times, CBS, Rasmussen, Scripps Howard, etc. polls, who think the government planned and carried out the 9/11attacks? 

As well as Canada (yup, Canada) and Turkey?

And other polls of Turkey and Egypt showing Israel the culprit?

To put my slant on the old saying: There are four kinds of lies: Lies, damn lies, statistics, and some public opinion polls.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Unfortunately, that didn't work out so well for this country's most recent wars considering the large amount of people who still believe that Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein were in on 9/11 together because in their minds Afghanistan and Iraq are neighbors.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Ambrose Bierce, the late American journalist and author, may have been right when he said: ''War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."

survivorinohio
by Rene on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting cjsix:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

gludwig2000
by Gina on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Great quote, and in my case, quite true, because like you, I thought of the Czech Republic until hearing Russia in the news.
Quoting SallyMJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)