Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama: Don’t form opinions on Boston attacks until government decides

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM
  • 64 Replies

Americans should not decide their opinions about the Boston terror attacks until the government decides its own opinion, President Barack Obama told the nation late Friday night.

“There’s a temptation to latch on to any bit of information, sometimes to jump to conclusions,” Obama warned during his 10:05 p.m. EST speech from the White House.

“But when a tragedy like this happens … it’s important that we do this right,” he claimed.

“That’s why we have investigations … That’s why we have courts.  And that’s why we take care not to rush to judgment — not about the motivations of these individuals; certainly not about entire groups of people,” Obama insisted.

According to video, witnesses and one of the bomber’s own statements, the bombs were placed by two immigrant Muslims from war-torn Chechnya.

That’s a Muslim country in the Caucasus Mountains, south of Russia.

The region’s history of brutal ethnic warfare was put into overdrive when the Soviet empire lost control of the region after 1989. For example, in 1994 and 1995, the capital city of Chechnya was largely leveled in a Stalingrad-like battle between Chechen rebels and the Russian army.

Since then, the area has been subject to numerous religious and ethnic wars, all of which have been extensively displayed on the Internet and jihadi websites, described in news accounts and debated by Americans.

The U.S. media and the growing array of social media sites are now aiding public debate about why the two Muslim men came to the United States, and why they decided to position their deadly bombs at the Boston marathon and then shoot at police.

Three Americans were killed by the bombs. Numerous Americans lost limbs to shrapnel from the homemade weapons.

The Boston drama dominated the national debate in the same week that Obama’s political allies in Congress presented a far-reaching bill to rewrite the nation’s immigration laws.

The pending law would provide an amnesty for at least 11 million people, quick entry to 4.7 million foreigners now waiting for green cards, and also increase the annual influx of immigrants and company workers.

The first hearing of the bill, however, was swept off the TV screen by the Boston drama, and was linked by opponents to the post-1980s influx of Muslims, some of whom have launched failed or destructive attacks against Americans.

Obama, however, warned the public against being critical of immigration.

“One of the things that makes America the greatest nation on Earth, but also, one of the things that makes Boston such a great city, is that we welcome people from all around the world — people of every faith, every ethnicity, from every corner of the globe,” he declared.

The number of Muslims attackers is a tiny percentage of all Muslims in the country.

But Obama has tried to downplay the evidence that Muslims are more likely to launch terror strikes than are other immigrants or Americans. For example, his deputies have classified the attack in November 2009 by a U.S. Army Muslim in Fort Hood as a crime, not a jihad attack, despite Major Nidal Hasan’s screams of “Allahu Akbar!” as he opened fire on his fellow soldiers.

The attack killed 13 Americans soldiers and civilians, and wounded 30 more. Because it is deemed an ordinary crime, the wounded soldiers do not get the Purple Heart medals normally awarded to soldiers wounded in combat.

Obama has also sought to strengthen ties between the Democratic party and the relatively small number of Muslims in the United States.

Although they comprise only about 2 percent of the population, Muslim voters are concentrated in a few areas, including Michigan, New Jersey and Virginia. That concentration boosted their electoral clout in 2008 and 2012.

The “American spirit includes staying true to the unity and diversity that makes us strong,” Obama expressed Friday night.

“So as we continue to learn more about why and how this tragedy happened, let’s make sure that we sustain that spirit,” he insisted.

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
broncfan
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM
9 moms liked this

I think that boat has already left the dock, we all know who these guys were and I find it hard to believe that it is anything beyond his religion that caused all of this. 

I wonder if Chris Matthews had been right it had been a conservative striking against taxes if we would have been given the same suggestion.  Why our POTUS tries to protect this one group is beyond me, why would he try to protect a group that wants to kills us for simply be Americans?  Something is so wrong here.

The nice thing about it is BO has no power over what we think, or believe for that matter.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM
4 moms liked this

The grandmother even said that these guys were getting into extreme Islam.

t Obama has tried to downplay the evidence that Muslims are more likely to launch terror strikes than are other immigrants or Americans.  Quoted from the article

And the above is ridiculous because it is what it is..the truth! ..Now why is it that if Janet Napolitano puts out a report for white christian conservatives esp vets to be under scrutiny that isn't bigotted but oh lawd if we acknowledge our greatest real threat we are bigots...hmmm And where was Obamas mouth when the left media was all over this hoping it was white tea party christians...

trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting broncfan:

I think that boat has already left the dock, we all know who these guys were and I find it hard to believe that it is anything beyond his religion that caused all of this. 

I wonder if Chris Matthews had been right it had been a conservative striking against taxes if we would have been given the same suggestion.  Why our POTUS tries to protect this one group is beyond me, why would he try to protect a group that wants to kills us for simply be Americans?  Something is so wrong here.

The nice thing about it is BO has no power over what we think, or believe for that matter.

Are you serious? You think he's trying to protect the ones that want to kill us? He is trying to protect the peaceful ones who are being and have been attacked for sharing the same religion. Do you think we should blame millions of people for the actions of a few? Should we judge you for the actions of the WBC?
denise3680
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

It also says that these guys came to the United States years ago, did not spend but 5 months in that particular area when they left Chechnya.  The older one came back to that area in 2011 but the younger one did not and had not been bask since they left the first time in 2001, that would have made him very young when he left.  So basically he is Americanized.  They did interview with some of his school mates and they all stated that he was outgoing, fun, nice guy, liked to smoke weed and do regular college kid stuff, basically this did not fit the profile of an extremist.  He did not talk about politics but when he did it was about his homeland.  Sounds to me that his brother was a huge influence to this kid, and maybe indoctrinated him into the more extreme radical parts of Islam.  I am not trying to let this kid off the hook, but it appears that many are trying to paint a picture that appears, at this time, to not fit.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting trippyhippy:

Quoting broncfan:

Are you serious? You think he's trying to protect the ones that want to kill us? He is trying to protect the peaceful ones who are being and have been attacked for sharing the same religion. Do you think we should blame millions of people for the actions of a few? Should we judge you for the actions of the WBC?

Of course the answer to your question is no..but where was Obama when the media was all but drooling for it to be white christian conservatives..yeah he was nowhere to be found.He wasnt at all concerned then.Why is that.
cLanief
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM
You can't blame the many for the few..... okc bombing was worse and we didn't blame every white guy in a hoodie and sunglasses after that. People need to chill. Being muslim may not even have anything to do with it.. you never ever know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting denise3680:

It also says that these guys came to the United States years ago, did not spend but 5 months in that particular area when they left Chechnya.  The older one came back to that area in 2011 but the younger one did not and had not been bask since they left the first time in 2001, that would have made him very young when he left.  So basically he is Americanized.  They did interview with some of his school mates and they all stated that he was outgoing, fun, nice guy, liked to smoke weed and do regular college kid stuff, basically this did not fit the profile of an extremist.  He did not talk about politics but when he did it was about his homeland.  Sounds to me that his brother was a huge influence to this kid, and maybe indoctrinated him into the more extreme radical parts of Islam.  I am not trying to let this kid off the hook, but it appears that many are trying to paint a picture that appears, at this time, to not fit.

Chances are the older brother highly influenced the younger yes.But let us not forget the 9-11 high jackers also enjoyed our American culture for some time before they flew those planes into the towers.They clubbed..drank..smoked..screwed you name it.
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think anyone here is blaming all muslim people.

Quoting cLanief:

You can't blame the many for the few..... okc bombing was worse and we didn't blame every white guy in a hoodie and sunglasses after that. People need to chill. Being muslim may not even have anything to do with it.. you never ever know.

BoysManDog
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM
5 moms liked this
Oh, please. Obama's (and his entire admin's) entire schtick is demonizing whole groups of people. From the "rich," to the "fat cats," to the "extreme white wing," to putting "ya'll back chains," to "punishing our enemies," to "bitter clingers," to "typical white person," to "a nation of cowards" and so on ... No other administration has done so much to divide by group, and so it continues. Now, if you take a stand against Muslim terror and extremism, you will be grouped into the bigot category by the pathetic man and his cohorts.

Quoting trippyhippy:

Quoting broncfan:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I must have missed when anyone was drooling for it to be white Christian conservatives. Do you mean when some pointed out it was tax day?  That was most people's first thought was maybe one of the many right wing wackos snapped.  If you think that compares in any way to the way Muslims in America are thought of or treated because of the extreme of their religion your nuts.

Quoting tnmomofive:

Quoting trippyhippy:

Quoting broncfan:

Of course the answer to your question is no..but where was Obama when the media was all but drooling for it to be white christian conservatives..yeah he was nowhere to be found.He wasnt at all concerned then.Why is that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN