Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Did younger bomb suspect KILL his own brother by running him over?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 19 Replies

Did younger bomb suspect KILL his own brother by running him over? Police chief's dramatic account of firefight reveals suspect was still alive when he was hit by sibling's car

• Watertown Police Chief Deveau said Tamerlan Tsranaev, 26, marched towards police officers while shooting at them
  • 'He all of a sudden comes out from under cover and just starts walking down the street, shooting at our police officers, trying to get closer,' Deveau said
  • Suspect eventually ran out of ammunition and was tackled to the ground  
  • His brother jumped behind the wheel of carjacked SUV and ran Tamerlan over, dragging his body a short distance
  • Over 200 rounds were fired in the span of 5-10 minutes
  • Police say suspects lobbed five crude bombs at them, at least one of them a pressure cooker explosive

By SNEJANA FARBEROV

The older of the two Chechen brothers suspected of bombing the Boston Marathon was wounded but alive following a police gun battle when his younger brother ran him over with a car, possibly causing his death.

Offering the first detailed account of the firefight, Police Chief Edward Deveau, of Watertown, Massachusetts, where the drama had unfolded early Friday morning, has revealed that 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev walked towards officers firing a gun before he ran out of ammunition and was tackled to the ground. 

'He all of a sudden comes out from under cover and just starts walking down the street, shooting at our police officers, trying to get closer,' Deveau said. 

'Now, my closest officer is five to 10 feet away, and they're exchanging gunfire between them. And he runs out of ammunition -- the bad guy -- and so one of my police officers comes off the side and tackles him in the street.'

He was in the process of being handcuffed by two or three officers when his younger brother, 19-year-old Dzhokhar, jumped behind the wheel of a black SUV the two hand allegedly carjacked earlier and barreled toward the group.

Officers who were restraining Tamerlan Tsarnaev got out of the way of the speeding vehicle, which ended up driving over the wounded suspect, the police chief told CNN.

According to Deveau, the 19-year-old suspect dragged his sibling’s body a short distance down the street and drove off. He later ditched the SUV and escaped on foot.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was pronounced dead at a hospital a short time later.

An alleged autopsy photograph of Tamerlan that was leaked Friday shows multiple gunshot wounds and a massive open gash that spans from the center of his chest to his back.

Another smaller gash is located right below the larger wound. His right shoulder and his face show signs of hemorrhaging. 

Some of the injuries could have been sustained during doctors' attempts to revive him. MailOnline is not publishing the photo due to its graphic nature.

The results of the autopsy have not been released yet, but the preliminary description of the injuries suggests that some of the wounds may have been caused by the vehicle operated by the suspect's brother.  

Green accord
Scene

Violent moments: The scene of the shootout involving the Boston bomber suspects in Watertown, Massachusetts

Tense night: Police with guns drawn search for a suspect in the bombing after a shootout and carjacking

Tense night: Police with guns drawn search for a suspect in the bombing after a shootout and carjacking

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

So he did run his brother over and was aiming for the officers.Not at all surprising if he can set a bomb down next to innocent strangers including little kids then there is no respect for life whatsoever..running his brother over would be nothing to him.

29again
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I don't know what to believe....... 

I read reports like this, in fact, CNN was reporting this on Fri morning..  and then I see things like this:

I don't know how to make this ALL add up together, which one, if either, is the truth?  I don't see how they can BOTH be true.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I don't think that's him. The older brother was dead by about 9 pm EST, if I'm not mistaken.  There is no way in he he could have walked or run - naked or not - after being run over and dragged by the car and then brought to the hospital barely alive with injuries "all over every inch of his body."

And he was not in police custody until after he was run over.

Quoting 29again:

I read reports like this, in fact, CNN was reporting this on Fri morning..  and then I see things like this:

I don't know how to make this ALL add up together, which one, if either, is the truth?  I don't see how they can BOTH be true.

29again
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Nope.  Not by 9pm EST.  They hadn't done anything yet at 9. 

And now you understand my questions, I hope?  The two reports don't make sense.... 

If the autopsy shows that some of the injuries were due to being run over and dragged by a car, then HOW is the video explained?  Does that not look like the guy in that video?  Very frustrating...

Quoting SallyMJ:

I don't think that's him. The older brother was dead by about 9 pm EST, if I'm not mistaken.  There is no way in he he could have walked or run - naked or not - after being run over and dragged by the car and then brought to the hospital barely alive with injuries "all over every inch of his body."

Quoting 29again:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Apparently that is some other guy the police arrested that night, near MIT. They thought he might be related. They had him strip, because they feared the brothers might be wearing explosives (the older brother was; not sure about the younger one). 

I only asked the time, because I wasn't sure the exact  Boston time things happened, and because I am two time zones away.

Quoting 29again:

And now you understand my questions, I hope?  The two reports don't make sense.... 

If the autopsy shows that some of the injuries were due to being run over and dragged by a car, then HOW is the video explained?  Does that not look like the guy in that video?  Very frustrating...

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting 29again:

29again
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:45 PM

OK.  That does make sense.  I had not heard about someone else being stopped near MIT. I completely understand why they had the guy strip.  But it didn't fit with being run over!  (But doesn't he look like the guy that died??? Amazing!)

And, hey, time zones always mess me up, too!  And my time zone has two different times, with the daylight savings BS....  I never know what time it is anywhere else except right here in my zone!

Quoting SallyMJ:

Apparently that is some other guy the police arrested that night, near MIT. They thought he might be related. They had him strip, because they feared the brothers might be wearing explosives (the older brother was; not sure about the younger one). 

I only asked the time, because I wasn't sure the exact  Boston time things happened, and because I am two time zones away.

Quoting 29again:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting 29again:

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

With all the harm that these two did, it's not surprising that one could run over his own brother.  It's so sad that someone can be that cold hearted. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Well we will have to wait for the autopsy to know for sure.

Cops have already stated his body was "riddled with bullets"... So I doubt the car was the cause of his death.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Possibly - They also said he was dragged under a speeding car. Probably didn't increase his chances of survival. He was fighting back when the police were trying to subdue him.  And then after being run over, he was barely alive and died about 15 minutes after heroic efforts by physicians to to save him.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Cops have already stated his body was "riddled with bullets"... So I doubt the car was the cause of his death.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
That's what I have heard too. I would only imagine the multiple gun shot wounds were caused by the police, not the vehicle.

I don't know if he was run over, but the cops either shot him up a lot before, or after he was run over (if he was).

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)